NY attorney general sues world's largest beef producer over methane emissions, climate commitments

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
NY AG says company's net zero goals aren't feasible considering its high carbon footprint

New York Attorney General Letitia James is suing JBS USA, the world's largest producer of beef, over the company's emissions and for "greenwashing" by allegedly misleading the public about its environmental impact.

In an announcement, James noted that beef production has the largest greenhouse gas footprint of any major food commodity and that animal agriculture accounts for 14.5% of global greenhouse gas emissions. According to James, JBS USA's various net-zero pledges for 2030 and 2040 are therefore misleading and "not feasible" given the scope of its worldwide beef production operations.

"As families continue to face the daily impacts of the climate crisis, they are willing to spend more of their hard-earned money on products from brands that are better for the environment," James said in a statement. "When companies falsely advertise their commitment to sustainability, they are misleading consumers and endangering our planet."

Past time to start planting Democrats.

I wonder how much she shorted in cattle futures.

Reactions: BOP

SamSpade

Humans are the root cause of climate change.

The executions can start tomorrow. Population centers would be a good place to start.

Reactions: BOP

Bare-ya-cuda

Here

Educate yourself.

1709241425788.png

jrt_ms1995

Wait, I thought we were suppose to switch to eating insects, but insects are meat, right? I'm so confused and hungry!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Honestly, Americans have to change their eating habits for the sake of our environment.
Having just taken delivery of this year's wonderfully finished out Black Angus steer...790 pounds dressed weight....I'm totally fine with our eating habits. Of course we get a whole lamb and process a whole hog every year too. Say..I'll bet you love the sausage...amirite?