Obama's whining about a snow day

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Maybe he should just take his ass back to Chicago. :rolleyes:

Sorry, WTOP moved the article and I can't find it.....basically he said that if this were Chicago his girls would not only be in school, they would be playing outside at recess. And that DC needs to toughen up

Last edited:

foodcritic

Sorry, WTOP moved the article and I can't find it.....basically he said that if this were Chicago his girls would not only be in school, they would be playing outside at recess. And that DC needs to toughen up

I can't believe I am going to say this but I think he has a point. I grew up in NJ and we hardly had snow days. Like today we would of had a delayed opening. And yesterday we probably would of been in school all day. People down here freak out to easily.

MrX

High Octane
They probably figure its January, they havent used any snow days yet, might as well use one. :shrug:

....or it could have been that the majority of the secondary roads were pretty icy this morning and thye didnt want a bunch of school bus accidents like yesterday.

Last edited:

Dymphna

Regardless of whether he has a point or not, as president he has no business criticizing the decision of local jurisdictions. It's one thing for a parent to make such a statement, but he's no longer just a parent. And in this case, DC public schools didn't even close, but the private schools did.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Regardless of whether he has a point or not, as president he has no business criticizing the decision of local jurisdictions. It's one thing for a parent to make such a statement, but he's no longer just a parent. And in this case, DC public schools didn't even close, but the private schools did.

I don't see why the president isn't allowed to have an opinion about the schools in his area of residence :shrug:

DEEKAYPEE8569

---------------------------------------------------

just saw it on USA 9.

Dymphna

I don't see why the president isn't allowed to have an opinion about the schools in his area of residence :shrug:
He has to keep his opinions as a parent separate from issues that are political....for example, the prudent reaction here would be to call the school and express his displeasure at their decision, NOT announce it to the news media.

bcp

In My Opinion
in the spirit of a liberal.

If he doesnt like it, maybe he should move back to where they would have had school.

besides, in chicago where he is used to, whats the use in shutting for a snow day when 90% of the children dont even show up on a nice day?

It was done in a light-hearted manner - I actually thought it was kinda funny. It's not like he was trying to use his power to tell the school district what to do, just having a little fun.

Video - CNBC.com

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

He has to keep his opinions as a parent separate from issues that are political....for example, the prudent reaction here would be to call the school and express his displeasure at their decision, NOT announce it to the news media.

Unless he called a press conference for this announcement, I don't think your view has much standing :shrug: If he happens to announce his opinion when the media is listening, I don't take points off for that :lol:
Hopefully he'll see that if people flip over something so minor as this, then he better keep controversial opinions to himself, but time will tell :shrug:

Nupe2

Oh for God's sake! Have you seen the video? He was making a JOKE! It's one that anyone who has lived in a colder climate would make. Good grief...if you want to attack the President, pick something real and reasonable....unless of course you are kidding...you are kidding, right? :lol:

Dymphna

It was done in a light-hearted manner - I actually thought it was kinda funny. It's not like he was trying to use his power to tell the school district what to do, just having a little fun.

Video - CNBC.com
He may have been "joking" but he is still showing a lack of understanding for the regional issues. The fact that we rarely get weather like this, so our reaction to it is going to be different than Chicago.

The fact that he interrupted a discussion on economic policy to just throw that out there just goes to show he doesn't have the political savvy to just keep his mouth shut when the comment serves no purpose and could actually have some ramifications. What happens next time we get weather and the school systems don't close because they don't want to offend his majesty? What happens when a school bus wrecks on an insufficiently treated road and someone gets hurt?

Chicago has more snow removal equipment and can react to the weather faster because they are used to it. The snow plows in the DC met have been sitting virtually idle for the better part of 3 years. It doesn't make sense to maintain the same level of equipment that Chicago has and so, it takes the area a little longer to deal with it, but now some people are going to make their next decision based on not offending the president and not on the realities of conditions in the area and the local level of preparedness.

:1bdz: