Obama's whining about a snow day

If he was really worried about his daughters not going to school today because of a little snow, he should have sent them to PUBLIC school, since the public schools were open. It was just the elite private schools that were closed.

puggymom

He may have been "joking" but he is still showing a lack of understanding for the regional issues. The fact that we rarely get weather like this, so our reaction to it is going to be different than Chicago.

The fact that he interrupted a discussion on economic policy to just throw that out there just goes to show he doesn't have the political savvy to just keep his mouth shut when the comment serves no purpose and could actually have some ramifications. What happens next time we get weather and the school systems don't close because they don't want to offend his majesty? What happens when a school bus wrecks on an insufficiently treated road and someone gets hurt?

Chicago has more snow removal equipment and can react to the weather faster because they are used to it. The snow plows in the DC met have been sitting virtually idle for the better part of 3 years. It doesn't make sense to maintain the same level of equipment that Chicago has and so, it takes the area a little longer to deal with it, but now some people are going to make their next decision based on not offending the president and not on the realities of conditions in the area and the local level of preparedness.

Pretty much :yeahthat:
It would be a waste of money for this area to be as prepared for snow as the more northern states. We just do not get enough snow.

pilot

I am sick and tired of hearing (not just Obama) people from New England, the upper midwest laugh at "DC drivers" in the snow. What most of these morons don't understand is that the majority of "DC drivers" are not from DC!!!!! DC and the surrounding burbs contain people from all over the world--not to mention all parts of this country. Alot of people move here to work. People who have never even seen snow much less friven in it. So STFU and think before you morons embarass yourselves. A small portion of the population of DC and enviorns are actually from here.

Uh, ever heard of immigrants? Chicago and big cities in the North have tons of them.

Don't think they have too much snow in places like Mexico or Southeast Asia...

There's a suburb of Detroit that everybody calls "Ypsitucky" (instead of Ypsilanti) because of all the transplants from Kentucky.

Heck, I grew up near Chicago and both my parents were southern transplants!

Last edited:

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Uh, ever heard of immigrants? Chicago and big cities in the North have tons of them.

Don't think they have too much snow in places like Mexico or Southeast Asia...

There's a suburb of Detroit that everybody calls "Ypsitucky" (instead of Ypsilanti) because of all the transplants from Kentucky.

Heck, I grew up near Chicago and both my parents were southern transplants!

Ugh, yes I have heard of immigrants. But "pure" immigration to the big cities is not as fluid as transplants to DC. People are moving in and out of the DC suburbs much more often than Chicago. Census data supports this. Look at the military alone here for God's sake.

The Oyster Guy

Ugh, yes I have heard of immigrants. But "pure" immigration to the big cities is not as fluid as transplants to DC. People are moving in and out of the DC suburbs much more often than Chicago. Census data supports this. Look at the military alone here for God's sake.

Are you suggesting our military service members are the root cause of DC's wintertime chaos? Shall I call you comrad? :patriot:

Giantone

Maybe he should just take his ass back to Chicago. :rolleyes:

Sorry, WTOP moved the article and I can't find it.....basically he said that if this were Chicago his girls would not only be in school, they would be playing outside at recess. And that DC needs to toughen up

He's right and he's a parent so shut up and move on.:coffee:

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Are you suggesting our military service members are the root cause of DC's wintertime chaos? Shall I call you comrad? :patriot:

Not at all.......BUT I did find it interesting that the Federal government was "open on time with an unscheduled leave policy" but I saw on Fox5 this morning that 4 different military installations were opening at 10:00 or 2-3 hours late. :whistle:

The Oyster Guy

Not at all.......BUT I did find it interesting that the Federal government was "open on time with an unscheduled leave policy" but I saw on Fox5 this morning that 4 different military installations were opening at 10:00 or 2-3 hours late. :whistle:

Well, I stand corrected: evidently our military service members are to blame for the wintertime chaos on DC streets... :lmao:

Otter

Nothing to see here
I'm sure Vrai is now getting a subpoena of her records to find out the identity of the one questioning the Messiah. :nono:

willie

Sorry, WTOP moved the article and I can't find it.....basically he said that if this were Chicago his girls would not only be in school, they would be playing outside at recess. And that DC needs to toughen up
It must be painful to be so bitter. This is difficult for such a whiner as yourself to understand but he was making a JOKE!

sk8enscars

If he was really worried about his daughters not going to school today because of a little snow, he should have sent them to PUBLIC school, since the public schools were open. It was just the elite private schools that were closed.

My thoughts exactly!!

I took the day off. Didn't feel like going all the way up there to teach a few classes and put up with lousy drivers.

And someone said something about school buses. DC doesn't have school buses. All the kids walk or get dropped off or take public transportation (and walk some more). I'm sure most of my kids who made it to school either ice skated down the sidewalk or had to walk in the road. DC/Rhee is just trying to be hardcore.... it's annoying.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

If you were a parent and you had the money, would you send your kids to DC Public Schools?

You'd be lying if you said you would.

If you were a parent and you had the money, would you send your kids to DC Public Schools?

You'd be lying if you said you would.
I AM a parent you moron.
If I had the money to send my kids to one of the elite private schools in Dc, I would.
No matter what, I couldn't send my kids to public school in DC since I am not dumb enough to live in DC.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Agreed and he should quit crying or go the hell back to where he came from. If he thinks his daughters are so much tougher than DC kids, he can drop them off in some ghetto for the night and see how they do.

:rolleyes:

Chainsaw Slayer

Bus drivers in Maryland are stupid and can't drive good at all. Thats why they have to close school as soon as a snowflake hits the ground. Once the roads start to get slippery these dumb bus drivers get in a panic and start crashing buses.