Okay, what's going in the McKay's?

SamSpade

I miss having the old McKay's in Wildewood. I know people hated it, but I liked it, and the one on Hollywood Road - until it became a liquor store, with food. Maybe it was BECAUSE it was underattended. I had free reign of every aisle.

I think that San Souci just ain't a great location for a grocery store. I did used to shop at Harvest Market, but the proximity of Giant/HT/ALDI makes it pointless, and I utterly HATE shopping at Wal-Mart. I wouldn't care if they sold everything at 50% off. There are almost ZERO checkers working, and the shoppers themselves make checkout miserable - and extraordinarily slow. The grocery aisles are NARROW. The staff are rarely helpful. Add to that the circus of the parking lot.

But I've never seen a Shopper's that I would like to shop at regularly. I don't know if it's the weird layout, the illogical placement of products, but there was nothing compelling me to return. My wife chides me on the fact that I LIKE HT (even though I shop there sparingly) but the checkers can't WAIT to help you, the store is well stocked and if HT doesn't have it, no one does. It is CLEAN and the produce doesn't have wilted vegetables.

Plus they have ready to eat hot food. And the staff actually KNOWS how to exchange water bottles. About the only things I don't like about HT is the parking lot, its location and access, and that they have those damned irritating grilled ribs sales blocking the parking lot right in front of the store, when they have a whole LOT to use.

SamSpade

You know - looking at Google Maps of the county and searching on grocery stores - and mentally adding the other stores, like the Weis in LP and Callaway - I realize that the northern and southern end of the county is mostly bereft of stores. If I lived south of the base - far south - I've no idea where I'd go for food. Even Leonardtown now just has Bradfords and Food Lion.

Mechanicsville and north - just the Food Lion in Charlotte Hall.

I wouldn't say we are saturated with grocery stores - I just don't think they're in the best place.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The Weis in California shut down a long time ago

I didn’t include Aldi, I should have.
Weis in Callaway is the closest to us..used to be a Food Lion and the Food Lion had better product selection by far. They did add a pharmacy though...that's been convenient.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Fortunately California is close for me so I have Harris Teeter, Giant and Walmart.

Walmarts good for being cheap on pantry stuff. Anything boxed.

HT and Giant for everything fresh.

mitzi

I miss having the old McKay's in Wildewood. I know people hated it, but I liked it, and the one on Hollywood Road - until it became a liquor store, with food. Maybe it was BECAUSE it was underattended. I had free reign of every aisle.

I think that San Souci just ain't a great location for a grocery store. I did used to shop at Harvest Market, but the proximity of Giant/HT/ALDI makes it pointless, and I utterly HATE shopping at Wal-Mart. I wouldn't care if they sold everything at 50% off. There are almost ZERO checkers working, and the shoppers themselves make checkout miserable - and extraordinarily slow. The grocery aisles are NARROW. The staff are rarely helpful. Add to that the circus of the parking lot.

But I've never seen a Shopper's that I would like to shop at regularly. I don't know if it's the weird layout, the illogical placement of products, but there was nothing compelling me to return. My wife chides me on the fact that I LIKE HT (even though I shop there sparingly) but the checkers can't WAIT to help you, the store is well stocked and if HT doesn't have it, no one does. It is CLEAN and the produce doesn't have wilted vegetables.

Plus they have ready to eat hot food. And the staff actually KNOWS how to exchange water bottles. About the only things I don't like about HT is the parking lot, its location and access, and that they have those damned irritating grilled ribs sales blocking the parking lot right in front of the store, when they have a whole LOT to use.
I liked Harvest Market. Was disappointed when they closed. I try to shop close to home. At that time, I lived in the center of the county so I had to drive at least 20 minutes to get to any of them. Now I stick to Food Lion and Bradford's (used to go to McKays from time to time). I won't step foot in WalMart. If I buy anything from them, I have it delivered. I hate shopping in general, so sticking close to home or having delivery is fine with me. I can't see driving all over the county to grocery shop.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I liked Harvest Market. Was disappointed when they closed. I try to shop close to home. At that time, I lived in the center of the county so I had to drive at least 20 minutes to get to any of them. Now I stick to Food Lion and Bradford's (used to go to McKays from time to time). I won't step foot in WalMart. If I buy anything from them, I have it delivered. I hate shopping in general, so sticking close to home or having delivery is fine with me. I can't see driving all over the county to grocery shop.
I remember shopping at Harvest Market when it was in San Souci back in 1990. I don't remember it at Wildewood. I do remember SuperFresh being there.

awol

whoever thought sticking HT and the rest of that center on that small lot was not very smart. There are not enough parking spots and the aisles are too small. The area in front with Starbucks and Panda Express is the worst design I think I've ever seen. The travel lane is barely wide enough to allow two cars to pass, there is not enough room to turn into the small parking spots. Driving around that parking lot during peak times is very frustrating.

SamSpade

whoever thought sticking HT and the rest of that center on that small lot was not very smart. There are not enough parking spots and the aisles are too small. The area in front with Starbucks and Panda Express is the worst design I think I've ever seen. The travel lane is barely wide enough to allow two cars to pass, there is not enough room to turn into the small parking spots. Driving around that parking lot during peak times is very frustrating.
I think there's enough for HT itself. NEVER had a problem with parking unless they do that stupid barbecue thing out front. The ones to the side - they have adequate volume so as not to be a problem. Wife used to go to the Row House and I go to the battery place and we both do the pedicure place as a couple (sometimes). Never had a problem.

The part YOU mentioned - yeah, kinda sucks. Generally, we do drive through with either Panda or Starbucks. It's the Med Express that's a nuisance.
I don't go to any of the other places for the reasons you bring up - parking blows and it simply isn't worth it.

My main beef with the HT center is navigating to and from it. If you live south of HT - say, in Wildewood or down FDR or St Andrews - going in and out is no problem. Every other direction involves some kind of U-Turn or crossing lanes of traffic to do it on at least the arrival or return trip. It's nuts.

PeoplesElbow

What do you drive? I have no issue with a truck. Yes the Panda/Starbucks part is t great but still no real problems

Grumpy

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 11-26-33 School bus crashes into multiple cars in strip mall parking ...png

Homer J

Power Chord
Almost as bad as the Chick-Fil-A parking lot. Still not sure what they were thinking there.

sunshine98

Whomever it was probably studied under the designer of Millison Plaza.

skins77

I’ve been hearing that Weis is gonna build a store where the new Mckays was supposed to be built in Charlotte hall.

OccamsRazor

Almost as bad as the Chick-Fil-A parking lot. Still not sure what they were thinking there.
I still don't understand why they won't put another Chick-Fil-A around here. Every single day the one by Target is PACKED! Should put one in the newer development by the RC Theater.

awol

the development by RC Theaters is a misuse of space. The county should have zoned it to allow most new retail development to consolidate in that area. There is a lot of land and great access to 235. Who has ever been to a movie theater with zero restaurants or quick-type eateries in the same parking lot?

Clem72

the development by RC Theaters is a misuse of space. The county should have zoned it to allow most new retail development to consolidate in that area. There is a lot of land and great access to 235. Who has ever been to a movie theater with zero restaurants or quick-type eateries in the same parking lot?
I mean there's a large set of options just across the street. Maybe not walking distance, but neither are the amenities near the other theater (and I wouldn't walk that neighborhood anyways).