Okay, what's going in the McKay's?

What about the liquor store part next to the one in Leonardtown. I know the liquor was grandfathered with Mackays but that one was so convenient.
The one in leonardtown was not grandfathered in. The liquor store and grocery store were always separate and you had to go outside and come back in. The one in Hollywood is grandfathered and can sell liquor in the grocery store.

I hope the liquor store by Leonardtown Mckays reopens. I hate going to Kumar's and he creeps me out.

On another note, I always heard the wholesaler who owns Shoppers does not want to run grocery stores. That is why they sold so many stores and let McKays use the name in Waldorf. I wonder is someone else is behind these new shoppers like Sean Early. From what I understand he already owns a few stores and bought the Charlotte Hall McKays shopping center. Grocery is definatently a business where you need size and scale.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
On another note, I always heard the wholesaler who owns Shoppers does not want to run grocery stores. That is why they sold so many stores and let McKays use the name in Waldorf. I wonder is someone else is behind these new shoppers like Sean Early. From what I understand he already owns a few stores and bought the Charlotte Hall McKays shopping center. Grocery is definatently a business where you need size and scale.
Yes.

skins77

Sean doesn’t have anything to do with shoppers food warehouse other than they will be paying him rent for the Charlotte hall store he owns now.

Clem72

Shoppers will be closing at the Charlotte hall, Leonardtown and California locations at the end of April.
Well that didn't take long. Might have had a better chance if their weekly wasn't always delivered on the very last day the coupons were valid.

PeoplesElbow

Well that didn't take long. Might have had a better chance if their weekly wasn't always delivered on the very last day the coupons were valid.
I went once since they reopened, all I wanted was a bunch of bananas and they only had self checkout open, a single register with three people waiting I sat my bananas on the shelf said **** I dont need these that bad and left.

Chopticon64

I went once since they reopened, all I wanted was a bunch of bananas and they only had self checkout open, a single register with three people waiting I sat my bananas on the shelf said **** I dont need these that bad and left.
Did you not know how to ring up your bananas?
Were you panicked because you had to talk to someone? You’d have to do that usually with a cashier.

Clem72

It took them a couple of weeks to settle in. Initially they had a lot of near expiration or expired foods and everything was overpriced compared to food lion next door. I felt like they largely addressed those issues, and if you could actually make use of their coupons in the mailer they were a good deal. But too little too late I suppose.

Would be nice to get a "high end" grocery store like a Wegmans or even a Whole Foods. That would help bring people into the area and give them a better chance of survival than just another ho-hum grocery store that is the same as the one right next door but more expensive.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It took them a couple of weeks to settle in. Initially they had a lot of near expiration or expired foods and everything was overpriced compared to food lion next door. I felt like they largely addressed those issues, and if you could actually make use of their coupons in the mailer they were a good deal. But too little too late I suppose.

Would be nice to get a "high end" grocery store like a Wegmans or even a Whole Foods. That would help bring people into the area and give them a better chance of survival than just another ho-hum grocery store that is the same as the one right next door but more expensive.
Harris Teeter?

Clem72

Harris Teeter?
But we already have an HT in the local area and it's a much larger footprint so that still wouldn't differentiate this store. I have never been in a whole foods, but I think they are generally smaller and could be a good fit.

There's a lot of traffic on that road and it's the closest shopping by a 10-15 minute drive for a LOT of people, so there absolutely no reason a store shouldn't be able to survive in that shopping center. You can't tell me food lion is just so good they destroy any and all competition.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
But we already have an HT in the local area and it's a much larger footprint so that still wouldn't differentiate this store. I have never been in a whole foods, but I think they are generally smaller and could be a good fit.

There's a lot of traffic on that road and it's the closest shopping by a 10-15 minute drive for a LOT of people, so there absolutely no reason a store shouldn't be able to survive in that shopping center. You can't tell me food lion is just so good they destroy any and all competition.
I hardly ever go there because they are so expensive.

Clem72

I hardly ever go there because they are so expensive.
Agreed. But I still think they would have a higher chance of success in that location and give people a choice. I am sure there are things that HT or Wegmans or Whole Foods carry that people want and can't find in Food Lion. Options are good.

I just don't want a large empty store as an eyesore that propagates to the rest of the shopping center as people start making a habit of driving to California/LP to do their shopping.