Ollie's

C

czygvtwkr

They have tons of kids books as well as cookbooks, cheap rugs, carpeting and vinyl flooring, tools and flower pots. Its a little nicer than biglots, I left with some beef jerky and some nice bungee cords.

CrashTest

They have tons of kids books as well as cookbooks, cheap rugs, carpeting and vinyl flooring, tools and flower pots. Its a little nicer than biglots, I left with some beef jerky and some nice bungee cords.

Yep - they got a ton of bungee cords. I just left there and it was pretty busy. In fact, all of St. Mary's square was packed, but I felt like George Zimmerman at a Malik Shabazz rally.

Baltimore_Colt

History question for the local old-timers...

I was going to start a new thread but decided to just ask this question here.......

to help settle a dispute between myself and a friend of mine, going in reverse order, what stores have been in the exact location where Olllies is now?

And by the way, I have not been there myself but my friend has and though he is normally very criticle of places such as this, he said he was stunned at how nice it was. He has been to several other Ollies and said this was by far the nicest. I know, I know....give it time.

FASTPITCHDAD

I was going to start a new thread but decided to just ask this question here.......

to help settle a dispute between myself and a friend of mine, going in reverse order, what stores have been in the exact location where Olllies is now?

And by the way, I have not been there myself but my friend has and though he is normally very criticle of places such as this, he said he was stunned at how nice it was. He has been to several other Ollies and said this was by far the nicest. I know, I know....give it time.

Last time I was in that building was '79, and it was a Mamouth Mart, it's gone down hill from there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Rose's was there for a long time.

I love Ollie's! I'm a big junk shopper anyway and it's awesome to get panel curtains for $1 instead of $20.

:yahoo:

sunflower

Loving My Life...
Why pay full price when you can get it cheaper? Got to love the "I'm to good for a store like Ollie's" :lol:

red_explorer

Read locally that Ollie's is coming to St. Mary's Square. Not sure WTF an Ollie's is, so looked them up on the web. As the name might imply:

"Ollie’s Bargain Outlet is the Mid-Atlantic’s largest retailer of closeout, surplus, and salvage merchandise. Our 112 “semi-lovely” stores sell merchandise of all descriptions and some beyond description." "We also work with insurance companies to buy salvage merchandise. If a store in your neighborhood has a fire, Ollie’s may purchase the inventory and put it in our stores at drastically reduced prices! Yes there may be a little smoke on the stuff, but it’ll be so cheap that you won’t mind!"

Yep, this is exactly what we need in St. Mary's!

I went yesterday for the first time in MD. Big disappointment!!!! And way too many freaks in there.... No where near as nice as the one in Elizabeth City, and that's not a nice store at all.

C

czygvtwkr

Why pay full price when you can get it cheaper? Got to love the "I'm to good for a store like Ollie's" :lol:

In my experience half of the people that say stuff like that secretely go there.

I worked with a bunch of people that use to talk about professional wrestling like that but some how magically knew exactly what happened the night before.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ran by Ollie's today and they have painted ceramic plant pots at ridiculously cheap prices - and they were nice looking, too!

lovinmaryland

Ran by Ollie's today and they have painted ceramic plant pots at ridiculously cheap prices - and they were nice looking, too!

How cheap is cheap? I am having a hard time finding those plastic ceramic loooking planters. I wanted to plant most of my herbs and tomatoes in those.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How cheap is cheap? I am having a hard time finding those plastic ceramic loooking planters. I wanted to plant most of my herbs and tomatoes in those.

Cheap. Smaller ones, lets call them 8" across, are $5 and they go up to $15 for the really big ones that would do for tomato plants. I'm taking stock of the garden areas and will go grab some up today.

These are real glazed ceramic, not plastic, with really cute designs.

lovinmaryland

Cheap. Smaller ones, lets call them 8" across, are $5 and they go up to $15 for the really big ones that would do for tomato plants. I'm taking stock of the garden areas and will go grab some up today.

These are real glazed ceramic, not plastic, with really cute designs.
I usually just get the plastic ones for like $3 a piece. But have to replace them every year or so. If I could get the ceramic ones cheap I might just go that route as it would be cheaper in the long run.
I've gotten a few at Marshalls for less than $10.
ok I will check there too. Thanksl

LadyCoyote

Books are a pretty good deal, and they have WebKinz for kids for $2.99!! Now if you prefer of course, you can go to Hallmark and get the same type of Webkinz for $12 - $14...
Of course there are "freaks" there --- THAT's part of the fun of going! Not as freaky as the Farmers Market/Swap meet deal place in Charlotte Hall.
Not worth a trip from Waldorf (with gas so high) but that's my .02.

I saw some nice large-size dog crates with PetCo tags right on them..super cheap.

Lots of other stuff, too...I'm sure if you HUNT around you can find some good deals. Will be interesting to see how long this place lasts, though. Afterall Roses tanked and that place seemed pretty similar in some ways.

Bucket

The county should have looked into getting a FreshMArt or Whole Foods instead of a another dollar store for the park.

Our county leadership will never learn.

Goldenhawk

The county should have looked into getting a FreshMArt or Whole Foods instead of a another dollar store for the park.

Our county leadership will never learn.
Here's a little known secret... It's not the county leadership's fault or responsibility. :gossip:

Some businessman/woman figured Ollie's would make a good fit for that particular location, and spent a few million dollars to refurbish the store and stock it and advertise. Whether it lives or dies is now up to the customers, not the commissioners.

So if you want a FreshMart or Whole Foods, then get incorporated, write a business plan, line up a lot of funding, buy yourself a franchise, find a spot to buy or build or rent, hire some workers, etc... that's what it takes.

In general, the government only gets in the way of most business ventures, it never starts them.