Olympics

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron

There’s no doubt that Simone Biles is the GOAT of gymnastics as she continues to push the limits when it comes to challenging skills that others could only dream of landing.
Back in 2019, the International Gymnastics Federation didn’t give Biles the full value of her double-twisting, double somersault dismount off beam because they didn’t want other gymnasts trying skills they’re not capable of doing. Basically, she was penalized for being better than everyone else, which is ridiculous.
“They keep asking us to do more difficulty and to give more artistry, give more harder skills,” Biles said, via USA Today Sports. “So we do, and then they don’t credit it, and I don’t think that’s fair.”
While Biles already has several moves named after her — including that double-double dismount and the triple-twisting, double somersault on floor exercise — she continues to do things that just don’t seem physically possible.
Back in May, Biles made history at the U.S. Classic when she landed a Yurchenko double pike for the first time in competition — a vault no woman has ever competed. While she didn’t attempt the vault during U.S. Championships or Olympic trials, she’s expected to bring it back during the Olympics later this month.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
BTW - what happened to Simone Biles? My wife told me something last night I have not been able to confirm on the news - that one of her routines was ignored, because although she executed it perfectly, because it was dangerous, they didn't want others to try it.

Is this true? Has the Olympics completely turned candy ass?

It's similar to the story of Surya Bonaly, a figure skater 20 years ago. She performed an illegal jump as the end of her Olympic career. The jump was a back flip and it was/is an illegal maneuver because it's impossible to perform and land on a single skate, she proved otherwise.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I saw this post on FB:

July 25 at 10:34 PM ·
So I really don't care about the Olympics, but the media freaking out about the US gymnastics team going into tomorrow in second place after the Olympic Committee* publicly decided not to give Simone Biles points for her routines beyond a certain level of difficulty because they're worried about the other world-class athletes hurting themselves trying to match her is ridiculous.
Deliberately refusing to give Biles the points she's earned and then marveling that the team isn't doing as well as in previous outings is just trash people being trash.
Biles is the GOAT. No one can even come close to touching her. On a level playing field she can single-handedly obliterate all of her competition all day long and twice on Tuesdays.
*(edit: the IGF, not the Olympic Committee; my bad, fam)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Still can't find the story my wife claimed - that they refused to count her vault, because the technique was too dangerous.
I saw some meme floating around Facebook, but when I tried to run it down on the real news I couldn't find it.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope

phreddyp

I saw this post on FB:

July 25 at 10:34 PM ·
So I really don't care about the Olympics, but the media freaking out about the US gymnastics team going into tomorrow in second place after the Olympic Committee* publicly decided not to give Simone Biles points for her routines beyond a certain level of difficulty because they're worried about the other world-class athletes hurting themselves trying to match her is ridiculous.
Deliberately refusing to give Biles the points she's earned and then marveling that the team isn't doing as well as in previous outings is just trash people being trash.
Biles is the GOAT. No one can even come close to touching her. On a level playing field she can single-handedly obliterate all of her competition all day long and twice on Tuesdays.
*(edit: the IGF, not the Olympic Committee; my bad, fam)
They are using the nascar rulebook .

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Here is an alternative to the olympics - Lumberjack World Championships!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day
He's a lumberjack and he's OK
He sleeps all night and he works all day

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatory
On Wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea
He cuts down trees, he eat his lunch
He goes to the lavatory
On Wednesdays he goes shopping and has buttered scones for tea

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers
I put on women's clothing and hang around in bars
He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps
He likes to press wild flowers
He puts on women's clothing and hangs around in bars

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspendies and a bra
I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear Papa
He cuts down trees, he wears high heels?
Suspendies and a bra?

He sleeps all night and he works all day
Sleeps all night and he works all day

SamSpade

I've long lost interest in watching the Olympics, but the woke bullchit - now I don't even care if we win or lose.
Because I kind of want all the woke/protest people to all lose big.

phreddyp

I've long lost interest in watching the Olympics, but the woke bullchit - now I don't even care if we win or lose.
Because I kind of want all the woke/protest people to all lose big.
Me too kinda sorta , but I feel bad for the ones that are just victims of circumstance and have to form a team with those losers.

SamSpade

And it really ruins it for the participants that aren't in the woke club, takes all the attention away from the ones that deserve it.

It's kind of like going to a wedding - or even a funeral - and instead of a celebration or a memorial, you get treated to a hellfire and brimstone sermon, complete with dire warnings to the unwashed heathen in the audience. I read once about a guy speaking at a funeral and told the congregation that while their loved one who passed is burning in HELL, they still have time to repent.

THAT sums up how I feel about making the Olympics some kind of platform for protest. Instead of celebrating a venue for sportsmanship and international cooperation - they choose to make it - well, basically about themselves.

Is that the way it's going to be, from now on? All sports broadcasts will be about protest?

I don't get the mindset that says, I'm going to persuade you to my issue by shoving it up your ass every time.
I imagine it's the same kind of mindset that says we'll make a fortune selling our product by robocall 12 hours a day.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Heard this morning that Simone will compete in one last event. Didn't catch which one.