Ophelia

K

Kain99

kwillia said:
Izzie sure thermodynamiced my roof...:killingme:
Yeah well... Ophelia cannot slide up the bay! She's to BIG! If she does I will be chained at work, saving old folk instead of my kids so there! Not happening! :wink:

Kain99 said:
Yeah well... Ophelia cannot slide up the bay! She's to BIG! If she does I will be chained at work, saving old folk instead of my kids so there! Not happening! :wink:
If anything... it looks like we might catch the west side of whatever storm is left after it enters the 'linas... we could use some rain... I just hope it's not a flooding rain.

CMC122

Go Braves!
kwillia said:
If anything... it looks like we might catch the west side of whatever storm is left after it enters the 'linas... we could use some rain... I just hope it's not a flooding rain.
I like your idea much better!

Triggerfish

Hessian said:
NOAA is willing to spread around the ethnic names

What should we consider "ethnic" isn't everyone some sort of ethnicity? When my daughter was born 2 yrs ago I was pushing the German name "Katrina." I almost got it as her middle name.

Hessian

No Nexus search...but,

I recall just last year some member of the Black Caucus bugging NOAA to include more African style names. Apparently, we need to have deadly/destructive storms reflect more African culture.

oh well.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Kain99 said:
Keep thinking that a hurricane cannot come up the bay. It has happened before. If I am not mistaking it was Hazel in 1954.

This is the kind of thinking that NOLA in trouble.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
kom526 said:
Keep thinking that a hurricane cannot come up the bay. It has happened before. If I am not mistaking it was Hazel in 1954.

This is the kind of thinking that NOLA in trouble.
You are correct. This is a force of nature, not a size 16 woman squeezing into size 6 jeans. Believe me, if it wants in, it'll fit.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
After a quick search, I found 3 significant storms that came up the bay. (I am sure there have been more). In 1749 (Cat 3-4 est.) The Chesapeake Bay Storm of 1933, (9.8 ft storm surge) and Hurricane Connie in 1955.

Hazel took a more westerly track and was still a CAT 2-3 when it hit Hagerstown, MD.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Triggerfish said:
What should we consider "ethnic" isn't everyone some sort of ethnicity?
Excellent point. "Ethnic" has become a politically correct code word for "non-WASP," which I think is ridiculous. One reason I love America is that the average American is very likely to have a varied ancestry, as compared with average citizens in other nations. My ancestry is English, Scottish, French and German, but I've been told that I look Italian or Jewish.

Triggerfish

Tonio said:
Excellent point. "Ethnic" has become a politically correct code word for "non-WASP," which I think is ridiculous. One reason I love America is that the average American is very likely to have a varied ancestry, as compared with average citizens in other nations. My ancestry is English, Scottish, French and German, but I've been told that I look Italian or Jewish.

Kind of strange isn't it? A lot of people would consider an Italian person ethnic but will think of Spagetti as American as apple pie.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Kain99 said:
That Monster is to big to slide up the bay! Have'nt ya ever heard of thermodynamics! :killingme:
Kain, you are funny? :lmao: The thermodynamics of the bay and surrounding terrain could induce the flow of the hurricane to include drawing it in, but in this case it is unlikely due to other meteorological conditions influencing our area.

Best guess on this on and off again hurricane is it will hit southern North Carolina and immediately go back out to sea south of Cape Hatteras. Impact to SOMD, little to none.

K

Kain99

Ken King said:
Kain, you are funny? :lmao: The thermodynamics of the bay and surrounding terrain could induce the flow of the hurricane to include drawing it in, but in this case it is unlikely due to other meteorological conditions influencing our area.

Best guess on this on and off again hurricane is it will hit southern North Carolina and immediately go back out to sea south of Cape Hatteras. Impact to SOMD, little to none.
Yes I'm funny! Didn't you get the memo? :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hessian said:
I recall just last year some member of the Black Caucus bugging NOAA to include more African style names. Apparently, we need to have deadly/destructive storms reflect more African culture.
That was that kennedy Sheila Jackson-(Ug)Lee. She's a one-note wonder - all she ever talks about is race (kind of like Qpid).

When she made that statement, I'd have loved it if some smartass would have said, "Okay - more 'black' names. We'll call the next one 'Sheila'."

:killingme

C

canuk woman

Hessian said:
Well, the Black caucus has finally found that our NOAA is willing to spread around the ethnic names and we have a Hurricane aiming for NC by Tuesday.
I will venture a guess that we might even see some flooding and power outages around here.

Not buying plywood...but will load up on the ice...find the lighter for the candles.

Can't wait for Shaniqua or is it Rahshanie?

hey are you guys aware that it looks like ophelia is comin straight at you? cause it almost looks like it

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
canuk woman said:
hey are you guys aware that it looks like ophelia is comin straight at you? cause it almost looks like it
I think she is taking a bead for a direct hit on Winnipeg. You should alert your FEMA or whatever they have in Canada. :biggrin: