Our Education System...

Christy

b*tch rocket
I see more benefit in public high schools than public elementary schools. That is where I can see a child taking advantage of what it has to offer or crapping it away. Private high schools can't compete with public high schools when it comes to the huge diversity of options. Unfortunately, my problem with public high schools are the kids who attend them. :jet: :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
bobbyflatliner said:
Alot of pressure is put on making the kids feel good, and not learn much. You cannot discipline any kids anymore, because mommy and daddy will get mad and literally threaten lawsuits. New young teachers cannot see the dream they had coming true, not to mention the cost of living, and they leave.

So where do you think this comes from? The pressure is on the schools..by whom? Parents? Most likely.

Sure, there are bad teachers but it is not all the teachers' or schools' fault that they have to concentrate on making the children feel good rather than making them learn to follow rules and learn. This rings true for everything these days, not just school systems.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vanbells said:
That's a different story. Should I ask what school? Anyways, have you contacted the School Board of Board of Education? :yay:
Yes we did at the time. Same :bs:. The NEA teaches teachers well.

Christy

b*tch rocket
2ndAmendment said:
That is why I took it personally.

I don't think her "I blame the parents" comment was intended as a dig at you or homeschooling. I took it as a dig at parents who let their kids whine and complain and do nothing, then blame the teachers for their kids failure. :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
2ndAmendment said:
Because I said that we had so much of a problem with the public schools that we home schooled our boys. The replies were:
which was a direct response to my post. With followups of: andSo the responses seem to be an indictment of Sharon and I that we were doing something wrong with our boys or not communicating with the teachers or schools or the school system which is just :bs:. That is why I took it personally.

Oh for crap sake, 2A. People are posting their opinions. It's a pretty far stretch to draw the conclusion that your friends are finding fault with the way you raised your children.

I give up.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
bobbyflatliner said:
This area recruits most teachers from out of state. They are young and ambitious. Most want to make a difference. Then reality sets in. The most important thing, it would seem, is state testing. Sadly 2nds post really rings true. Alot of pressure is put on making the kids feel good, and not learn much. You cannot discipline any kids anymore, because mommy and daddy will get mad and literally threaten lawsuits. New young teachers cannot see the dream they had coming true, not to mention the cost of living, and they leave.

Don't forget the teacher to student ratio. I know a couple of teachers and they often claim that there are too many students per classroom. Many of the students are different learning curves as well. This is usually when the lower percentile students get more attention because they need it.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
Oh for crap sake, 2A. People are posting their opinions. It's a pretty far stretch to draw the conclusion that your friends are finding fault with the way you raised your children.

I give up.
Me too.

Christy said:
I don't think her "I blame the parents" comment was intended as a dig at you or homeschooling. I took it as a dig at parents who let their kids whine and complain and do nothing, then blame the teachers for their kids failure. :shrug:
Exactly. I refuse to argue my "generalization". Of course there is expected variance in a "broad view" statement... :rolleyes:

nomoney

maybe if one feels attacked by a generalized statement, one has certian issues to deal with. This statement may or may not be true. :whistle:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
Exactly. I refuse to argue my "generalization". Of course there is expected variance in a "broad view" statement... :rolleyes:
Your "generalization" was a direct reply to my post. You quoted me. If you didn't mean the "parents" remark to apply to us, then you should not have quoted me. Just make your statement or quote the original question. Then it is a general reply or opinion on the question. Then the others quoted your quote which is a logical drill down.

If you didn't mean to quote me, then the drill down does not apply. I just know how much we went through trying to get the schools to respond and got nothing. I was angry then and to have a friend respond to my post that is the parents fault just really spun me up. If it was misunderstanding on my part, I apologize.