Overdose victim's obituary: compassionate or enabling?

PeoplesElbow

I kind of have a desire to take an oxy just to see what it does, but I won't because I'm skeered of it. The strongest pain reliever I've ever taken is codeine when I had my wisdom teeth removed. When I had a surgery they gave me a prescription for Vicodan that I never got filled because Motrin knocked the pain down to a manageable level.

I'll have to do a search, unless there's someone who takes opiates recreationally on here and can tell me what it's like.

Vicodin did nothing for me when I had a kidney stone, it did constipate the hell out of me though.

Midnightrider

This is sort of why I started this thread. I admit I don't understand addiction. If I have an addiction it's to either food, travel or fishing. But they don't seem to cause me any issues. My initial thought is to just not get involved in that stuff. It's not like the heroin waited in a dark alley and then sprang upon the victim at random. The other part makes me feel somehow that I lack some empathy for not feeling sorry for something bad that happened to someone of their own doing.
As i understand it people have or dont have a predisposition to develop a problem. Just like with Alcohol. If you start down that path AND you have the predisposition you are likely to become hooked on your drug of choice.

There is no saying what gets people to go from "never gonna try anything" to an all in junkie. There are a million sets of circumstances that could get a person there.
I kind of have a desire to take an oxy just to see what it does, but I won't because I'm skeered of it. The strongest pain reliever I've ever taken is codeine when I had my wisdom teeth removed. When I had a surgery they gave me a prescription for Vicodan that I never got filled because Motrin knocked the pain down to a manageable level.

I'll have to do a search, unless there's someone who takes opiates recreationally on here and can tell me what it's like.
I have only taken them after surgery. I have had most of the 'good' ones. They are all in the same ballpark as codiene just more intense depending on the particular drug and dosage. you might feel warm and fuzzy and a bit sick at the same time. I never really enjoyed the feeling so they were never an issue for me.
Good grief - how does that happen?

I don't understand drug abuse. I smoked pot and took speed occasionally when I was a kid, did coke once, but never had a desire to seriously use drugs. I can't imagine doing meth or heroin or something like that. Even when I had depressed days or was stressed or whatever, it never occurred to me to find a dealer.

Seriously, what's the attraction?
Its that predisposition. I have a feeling it can be caused by both environemntal factors and genetics. I can only imagine if you come from a long line of alcoholics that your family's systems will have compensated. over generations i would think that could cause some hardwired effects.
on the other hand, i have watched a few episodes of the show intervention. In most cases the person who is hooked had some serious childhood trauma.
I think either can set you up to find more OCD type pleasure from using.

luvmygdaughters

The strongest thing I've ever taken is Tylenol with codeine. Even after I had my spinal disc fusion. I cant take anything else, tried percocet once and it made so nauseous. My father was the same way. He had several hip replacements, the last one resulting in an infection. He had an open wound on his hip for the last 15 years of life. So times the pain would be excruciating, the doctor prescribed oxycontin and Tylenol 4. When he passed away, my sisters and I were cleaning out his apartment and found all these bottles of oxycontin, none of which had been opened. The only thing he took was the Tylenol 4.

As far as the kids being "bored" as an excuse, how bout putting the little bored darlings to work. I remember, when I was a kid, if I complained about being bored, my parents would always say "bored? I've got something for you to do if you're bored? Theres laundry, dishes, dusting, etc.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
tried percocet once and it made so nauseous.

I went to a Skins games with a corporate group and the girlfriend of one of the guys we were with was taking percocet and drinking on top of it. She barfed all over the VIP lounge - like *exploded* with puke - right in front of the guy's boss and everyone.

I don't think he went out with her again.

littlelady

God bless the USA
But I personally know people who were good parents and did right by their kids, and at least one of them still became a ####bag. I know families where one kid is a druggie and the other kids are just fine. I just can't default to "it's the parents' fault" because I've personally seen that debunked.

I do, however, think that if all the kids in the family are ####bags, yeah, it's probably the parenting.

Thank you. You are exactly right. Addiction is caused by an extra chromosome that not every family member gets; with a family history of random addiction on both sides. I have known families, also, with the same profile. It can happen to any family; no matter what rung of the social ladder they are on.

I was going to reply to your ‘lunch table’ post in another thread, but you redeemed yourself. :smile:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=third...0AC811AA8B41A590DF1C8419D7B735&FORM=QBLH&sp=1

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control

Thank you. You are exactly right. Addiction is caused by an extra chromosome that not every family member gets; with a family history of random addiction on both sides. I have known families, also, with the same profile. It can happen to any family; no matter what rung of the social ladder they are on.

I was going to reply to your ‘lunch table’ post in another thread, but you redeemed yourself. :smile:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=third...0AC811AA8B41A590DF1C8419D7B735&FORM=QBLH&sp=1

Caused seems a bit strong. Certain genetic combinations seem to be linked to an increased susceptibility, along with an increase in other risk taking behaviors.

Vrai, my Dad was a 30 year functioning alchoholic, mt Mom, one of the strongest people I ever knew, struggled for years, like 15 with prescription painkiller addiction through the 80s and 90s. She was given painkillers during the late 70s for back pain and the system was far more lax back then. Get you hooked then leave you to work it out was the way it went.

I've had morphine, oxy, vicodin, the works, between diverteculitis, a kindey stone and a back surgery and continuing back pain. Having a fusion in three weeks as a matter of fact. I can maybe see the attraction, if your brain being active bothers you. I hate the feeling and will suffer great pain before taking anything. When given 20 Oxy three years back, I took a couple and saved the rest, three year later I took the last one the other day. Vicondin a little less so. Both even 10 hours later make me feel like my brain is wrapped in gauze. Oxy after two days make me stutter.......no freaking thanks.

The challenge for the fusion is that I cannot just tough it out. By all accounts, if I let the pain get too bad, I'll actually slow the healing and fusing process.

black dog

Free America
Caused seems a bit strong. Certain genetic combinations seem to be linked to an increased susceptibility, along with an increase in other risk taking behaviors.

Yep, and generally when a women gets pregnant and the fetus has an extra chromosome the woman generally has a miscarriage in the first trimester and if the fetus is carried to term the baby generally has Down Syndrome.

littlelady

God bless the USA

Vrai, my Dad was a 30 year functioning alchoholic, mt Mom, one of the strongest people I ever knew, struggled for years, like 15 with prescription painkiller addiction through the 80s and 90s. She was given painkillers during the late 70s for back pain and the system was far more lax back then. Get you hooked then leave you to work it out was the way it went.

I've had morphine, oxy, vicodin, the works, between diverteculitis, a kindey stone and a back surgery and continuing back pain. Having a fusion in three weeks as a matter of fact. I can maybe see the attraction, if your brain being active bothers you. I hate the feeling and will suffer great pain before taking anything. When given 20 Oxy three years back, I took a couple and saved the rest, three year later I took the last one the other day. Vicondin a little less so. Both even 10 hours later make me feel like my brain is wrapped in gauze. Oxy after two days make me stutter.......no freaking thanks.

The challenge for the fusion is that I cannot just tough it out. By all accounts, if I let the pain get too bad, I'll actually slow the healing and fusing process.

Wow. You have been through a lot. Best wishes.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Wow. You have been through a lot. Best wishes.

Nah, not half so much as many. My parents were still great people who taught me so very much. Human is what they were, with human failings. What they never did was give up. They kept it together. And while written down, my health might look like crap, other than those things, I'm healthy and strong. If I wanted to live a sedentary life making ships in bottles, I wouldnt need surgery. But I want to ride my motorcycle, and work on my cars, and chop firewood, and kayak and build decks and such. Right now, 20-30 minutes of work bent over at all costs me 1-2 days of being laid up. Time to get that crap fixed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Having a fusion in three weeks as a matter of fact.

Oh wow, good luck! :huggy:

Some people apparently enjoy being fuzzy and disoriented. I have never enjoyed that feeling. I don't even like being drunk. If I could drink as much beer as I wanted and never get past buzzed, that would be perfect. But I know that some people do enjoy being ####faced and drink specifically to get that way.

MiddleGround

Nope, veneral disease has a physical cause and cure, get the clap, take that pill, clear it right up. Get the HIV, here's a cocktail. Cause, cure. Viral, bacterial, whatever. There is a choice connection. You could eff junkies all day long and not catch the "disease", thats where it breaks down.

I disagree. You list the clap however, there is no cure for HIV, herpes, etc.. Only treatment... kinda like addicts. Only treatment.

My equivalency stands correct :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
I disagree. You list the clap however, there is no cure for HIV, herpes, etc.. Only treatment... kinda like addicts. Only treatment.

My equivalency stands correct :yay:

But they, HIV and Herpes are viruses, they are actual things from outside your body that make you ill. You catch them from other people. Nobody kissed an addict and caught addiction. And the treatment is the reduce the effects of that virus on your bodys systems, not to stop the ill person from doing bad stuff to themselves. Is there an addiction virus?