P90x...

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
P90X on the way. I should be starting up next week (22 June). Any pointers before I take the plunge?

Read the books. Determine which program you are doing (Lean vs Classic). Make sure you understand the nutritional guide as much as you can. This is an important part of the program.

Make sure you have the following:

Pull Up Bar
Dumbells or Resistance Bands
A Folding Chair
Push up Stands. (I am a fan of them. :lol:)
Protein Bars
Recovery Drinks
Whey Protein
Yoga Mat
And if you are really flexable get some yoga blocks.

I took a week just to get myself famillair with the videos and what you are supposed to be doing. I guess I kind of cheated because I did not count this as my start week because I felt like I was half assing it a little. The next week I had a better idea of what I needed to do during the excercises.

My other recomendation is joing the beach body boards. It is a good support tool.

My first month I dropped 17 lbs. I have been busy for the last couple weeks and not able to work out as much as I would like but I am still doing as much of it as I can. It looks like this week (since T-Ball is over) I am going to be able to hit it hard again.

I have felt the program is pretty flexable. If my schedule does not allow for me to do a work out session than I don't sweat it and just "Bring It" on the next workout. It is also flexable in the excersices them selves. For example my knees have issues. I cannot do some of the excercises 100% because of that. However if you just do what you can and work through it you will be able to improve. I found myself doing excercises my knees would not allow me to do when I started the program.

That is all the advice I can offer. I know DN just started a few weeks ago. Maybe he can offer some advice.

dn0121

P90X on the way. I should be starting up next week (22 June). Any pointers before I take the plunge?

Get used to a very low carb diet. The first week I just decided to eat a healthier diet and didn't see much in the way of results. Week 2 I started using the guide and also entering what I eat at The Daily Plate and it gives you a good snapshot of what you have eaten and can eat the rest of the day.

Stock up on high protein foods like chicken breasts, turkey, and I've been eating Greek yogurt. Also forget about the P90X recovery drink unless you have a lot of money to burn, just get no-fat or low-fat chocolate milk (google chocolate milk recovery drink.) I've been using 4oz before and 4 oz after of Over the Moon brand. It is no fat and under $3 a 1/2 gallon. A good recovery drink has a 4-1 ratio of carbs to protein.

Stick with it and you can do it. Beachbody message boards are helpful and there are a few groups on Facebook too. I love it.

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
Get used to a very low carb diet. The first week I just decided to eat a healthier diet and didn't see much in the way of results. Week 2 I started using the guide and also entering what I eat at The Daily Plate and it gives you a good snapshot of what you have eaten and can eat the rest of the day.

Stock up on high protein foods like chicken breasts, turkey, and I've been eating Greek yogurt. Also forget about the P90X recovery drink unless you have a lot of money to burn, just get no-fat or low-fat chocolate milk (google chocolate milk recovery drink.) I've been using 4oz before and 4 oz after of Over the Moon brand. It is no fat and under $3 a 1/2 gallon. A good recovery drink has a 4-1 ratio of carbs to protein.

Stick with it and you can do it. Beachbody message boards are helpful and there are a few groups on Facebook too. I love it.

Told you he could give you some good advice. He told me about this but haven't had a chance to research it or try it. I still have a big jar of the recovery drink I bought for $80.00.

warneckutz

Told you he could give you some good advice. He told me about this but haven't had a chance to research it or try it. I still have a big jar of the recovery drink I bought for $80.00.

:faint:

What kind of "recovery" drink? Get something like Xtend or something if you want the BCAA's.

dn0121

:yay:

I was reading an article that a study was done and the athletes who burn the most calories are professional soccer players. They drink chocolate milk as part of they're recovery. I tell you what, that over the moon stuff is great. Expensive for milk but tastes great and no fat.

Chocolate Milk's 'Natural' Muscle Recovery Benefits Match Or May Even Surpass A Specially Designed Carbohydrate Sports Drink

Lowfat chocolate milk is effective post-exercise recovery aid for soccer players - Science Centric | Eureka! Science News

warneckutz

:yay:

I was reading an article that a study was done and the athletes who burn the most calories are professional soccer players. They drink chocolate milk as part of they're recovery. I tell you what, that over the moon stuff is great. Expensive for milk but tastes great and no fat.

Chocolate Milk's 'Natural' Muscle Recovery Benefits Match Or May Even Surpass A Specially Designed Carbohydrate Sports Drink

Chocolate Milk's 'Natural' Muscle Recovery Benefits Match or May Even Surpass a Specially Designed Carbohydrate Sports Drink

Lowfat chocolate milk is effective post-exercise recovery aid for soccer players - Science Centric | Eureka! Science News

I haven't read the articles but I've heard of the whole "chocolate milk" idea. The idea is that milk is slow to digest and with the addition of the sugar in the chocolate syrup, it's quick to replenish some of the carbs/energy into the body while the protein is slowly assimilated... or something like that. :lol:

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
I need some new dumbells if anyone is reading this that has some to loan me or sell.

I buy mine from Dicks. I have been buying them a little at a time. They are like $.79 a pound. It starts out cheap but when you go to buy the 50lbs and up they start getting pricey. But I want them all to match.

B

Big Fatty

Ever think of this?

I purchased the Power Block set up for the Naval Observatory Gym when I was working for the Navy. I needed to save space similar to a home gym.

I was skeptical at first but tried them out and loved them. They work great.

Powerblock Elite 5-90 Set

Attachments

• bigfit_2059_12641718.jpg
    bigfit_2059_12641718.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 70

dn0121

Those are what I would like, but it's kinda like a piece of pie. I want it but won't let myself get it.

B

Big Fatty

The whole set up is a chunk of change but I would consider it an investment. Cheaper than buying all the dumbbells to match.

dn0121

I agree with you there. I'm just looking for some 2nd hand weights up to 50 lbs right now. I'm borrowing a friends now and need more weight. It has the plates so I may just but some more. It's a pain to stop and change it but beggars are not choosey and its got me started

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Recovery drink for me:

1 scoop GNC Whey Protein
4 TBSP Ovaltine Chocolate milk mix (NOT THE SYRUPS CHECK THE NUTRITION LABEL!)
12 Ozs Skim or 1% milk
1 frozen banana
3 Lg strawberries
Double handful of ice
blend well and enjoy.

The BB recovery drink has the 4:1 AND it has a bit of creatine in it also. It's probably cheaper to get creatine powder or tabs and use those in conjunction with your homemade recovery drink. I'm going to start adding creatine during Phase III after my vacation.

I got my dumbbells from Dick's. They were a 40# kit and I just purchased 4 extra 5# plates. It's a lot cheaper than power blocks and select techs (bowflex).

Phase II recovery this week, I'll post the stats on Thursday. I did legs and back tonight and ended up with 108 pullups with a little less than half being unassisted.

P90X is NOT a weight loss program this is an exercise program that results in weight loss. What do Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, and Stuff that Dan Marino hawks all have in common? They are all weight loss programs that give you temporary results.

Last edited:

Bigpops92

Read the books. Determine which program you are doing (Lean vs Classic). Make sure you understand the nutritional guide as much as you can. This is an important part of the program.

Make sure you have the following:

Pull Up Bar
Dumbells or Resistance Bands
A Folding Chair
Push up Stands. (I am a fan of them. :lol:)
Protein Bars
Recovery Drinks
Whey Protein
Yoga Mat
And if you are really flexable get some yoga blocks.

I took a week just to get myself famillair with the videos and what you are supposed to be doing. I guess I kind of cheated because I did not count this as my start week because I felt like I was half assing it a little. The next week I had a better idea of what I needed to do during the excercises.

My other recomendation is joing the beach body boards. It is a good support tool.

My first month I dropped 17 lbs. I have been busy for the last couple weeks and not able to work out as much as I would like but I am still doing as much of it as I can. It looks like this week (since T-Ball is over) I am going to be able to hit it hard again.

I have felt the program is pretty flexable. If my schedule does not allow for me to do a work out session than I don't sweat it and just "Bring It" on the next workout. It is also flexable in the excersices them selves. For example my knees have issues. I cannot do some of the excercises 100% because of that. However if you just do what you can and work through it you will be able to improve. I found myself doing excercises my knees would not allow me to do when I started the program.

That is all the advice I can offer. I know DN just started a few weeks ago. Maybe he can offer some advice.

Thank you!

Mojo

I purchased the Power Block set up for the Naval Observatory Gym when I was working for the Navy. I needed to save space similar to a home gym.

I was skeptical at first but tried them out and loved them. They work great.

Powerblock Elite 5-90 Set

Good lord those are expensive. Are they only 45 pounds each or does each one go up to 90 pounds?

Bigpops92

quick question...when is the best time to weigh yourself to establish your baseline and to check for progress?