Pence says....

Chopticon64

Okay, that doesn't really square with what you said above now does it?

Yes it does, I said: “Not sure where you folks are getting the idea that we are less energy independent than we were under Trump,”

I guess you missed all the "gain of function" discussions involving Fauci.
What are you getting at? So now you don’t think it was made up virus and was actually a big deal? The US was behind it all along?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Which was it? Trump is the one that started daily briefings and created project warp speed to make the vaccines. You folks aren’t even on the same page about his response to the most impactful part of his term.

We're not Democrats - we're allowed independent thought and don't have to march in obedient lockstep.

Trump did what he was advised to do at the time. That's what advisors are for, and if you think presidents are all-knowing and make decisions all by themselves then there's no point in discussing it with you. Then the media made a superstar out of the fraud Fauci, and Trump couldn't get rid of him because he'd been canonized by pop culture and deemed infallible. "Oh no! That evil Trump is trying to kill us all by getting rid of our savior Tony Fauci!!!"

This is the problem with you types - you don't pay attention and follow the story. You get your soundbites from your masters and you run with it. Then when the talking points start blowing up, the masters redirect your outrage to something else. Had you been paying attention you would know these things and wouldn't have to be told by a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Which is why I struggle to be civil (and typically lose) when engaging with you. Your dishonesty and lack of attention make any discussion with you pointless.

Hijinx

Yes it does, I said: “Not sure where you folks are getting the idea that we are less energy independent than we were under Trump,”

Maybe we got that idea when we started paying more at the pump and everything involved with fuel such as transportation ,truck delivery of groceries , well Everything started getting more expensive.

Chopticon64

We're not Democrats - we're allowed independent thought and don't have to march in obedient lockstep.
Unless it’s a Republican coming out with any criticism of Trump.

The whole point of the question I asked was to understand why Trump and not Nicki Haley or Desantis, both seem to be able to get things actually done when they were governors.

From the thread it sounds like most folks are just looking to get back to February 2020, I haven’t heard of Trump’s plan to get us back there. I think too much has happened from March 2020 onward to ever get us back to how things were in February 2020. Commercial real estate is headed for collapse, far too many people retired during 2020/21 which has lead to a labor crisis with wages increasing dramatically causing an inflation spike.

We need a split government in my opinion with Haley as president and a democratic house. If Trump is re-elected I just see 4 more years of him struggeling to figure out how to get things done in our political system.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The whole point of the question I asked was to understand why Trump and not Nicki Haley or Desantis, both seem to be able to get things actually done when they were governors.

Trump had a stellar presidency. You may not like it - you may not even know about it - but he walked the walk. He led. He was a populist, as in "a person, especially a politician, who strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups." I appreciate that and haven't really seen it from a president my whole life. Even the sainted Ronald Reagan wasn't the establishment-buster Trump was and still is.

Not Ron DeSantis because frankly he's my Governor and I want to keep him. My dream is that Trump taps him for VP, and he goes on to serve two terms as POTUS. Also we already know Trump is brave AF and will do what we want; DeSantis does what Florida wants but there's a question as to whether or not he can stand up against the onslaught of the scumbags in DC.

Not Nikki Haley because she's a whiny little elitist hypocrite who talks out both sides of her mouth. She pals around with the Deep State crowd and I will not vote for that. Nikki Haley's own state - where she supposedly "got things done" rejected her overwhelmingly in favor on Trump. So that should tell you something. Democrats love Nikki Haley right now because she went off on a TDS tour, and she believed them - campaigned on it. "Democrats love me! I can be bipartisan!" Yeah, we don't want her to be bi-partisan - we want her to kick Democrat (and Republican turncoat) ass, and she has been clear she won't do that. Not to mention the Democrats always love a neo-con....right up until the second they proceed to the general election and are going against one of their own. She's also a warmonger, cheering on this Ukraine bullshit that we have no business being involved in. She has a financial interest in us being at war, and gives no shits about our sons and daughters being maimed or killed so long as she gets rich. She was a terrific UN Ambassador, then went rapidly downhill from there so I'm guessing she got her palm greased but good.

So there it is. Read it and don't ask again.

SamSpade

Is it still that he says rediculoius things, like “Drain the Swamp”?
It's a metaphor I have heard since at least the 70's, and predates me by a generation or two.

Because while Washington was not actually built on swampland, it was built largely in a flood plain, and when the city had canals, they were often backed up with sewage, and the smell was horrendous in the hot summer heat. It makes sense to call the political home of the U.S. - a swamp.

BUT - the phrase draining the swamp goes back at least a hundred years when used to describe political quagmires. Trump did not originate the phrase, nor did he popularize the phrase. If you think he did, you haven't been paying attention the last 50-75 years.

Chopticon64

BUT - the phrase draining the swamp goes back at least a hundred years when used to describe political quagmires. Trump did not originate the phrase, nor did he popularize the phrase. If you think he did, you haven't been paying attention the last 50-75 years.
Right, the point I was saying is that a lot of his rallies are just repeated platitudes we’ve heard for decades.

The consensus here seems to be that he was hoodwinked during his first term and all the swap creatures got their paws in his administration. He’s now learned his lesson and he’ll be a changed man come round two. :sshrug:

SamSpade

Trump had a stellar presidency.
Without question. Had he been re-elected, the Abraham Accords might have caught fire, as recognition of Israel's right to exist as a state could seal the deal for permanent peace in the Middle East - and he rather singlehandedly got many Muslim states to climb aboard. Rumor was the Saudi was ready to sign.

He had the balls to do something EVERY President said they'd do - but didn't. And that is move the Israeli embassy to Jerusalem. EVEN Schumer praised it. He put an END to the tide of immigrants flowing into the country, and swept aside all the crap limiting energy production here.

My personal economy never did better, under any President.

Not Nikki Haley because she's a whiny little elitist hypocrite who talks out both sides of her mouth.

Nikki is precisely the kind of establishment Republican we've come to despise. They talk big for a while, but sooner or later when the Democrats fight them, they roll over on their back and beg for mercy like little lapdogs. And they care about their image. They want to be all politicians and speak graciously of their enemies - while their enemies compare them to Hitler.

Both Bushes - when pressed - eventually capitulated to the Democrats, especially on taxes.

Nikki Haley's own state - where she supposedly "got things done" rejected her overwhelmingly in favor on Trump.

HECK, her own county - where she GREW UP - voted for Trump. She'd have done far worse without the Dems jumping ship to vote against Trump in the primary, instead of wasting their time voting for Biden. You will notice that even with that - comparitively few Dems even showed up for THEIR primary.

SamSpade

Right, the point I was saying is that a lot of his rallies are just repeated platitudes we’ve heard for decades.

You mean, like tax cuts for the rich, and that Republicans are all racists? The first election I can recall is Goldwater - believe me, no one has changed a thing. Among the better things he did was the "scrap two regulations for any new one proposed" policy. Even his detractors applauded that.

The consensus here seems to be that he was hoodwinked during his first term and all the swap creatures got their paws in his administration. He’s now learned his lesson and he’ll be a changed man come round two. :sshrug:

I wouldn't say hoodwinked so much as, Trump was unaccustomed to the backstabbing that is typical DC politics - that your best friend might leak your deepest darkest secret for a shot on the late show or a book promotion. That in DC - you have allies - not friends. In business, if you screw your friends too often - you'll be abandoned, because while politicians trade in photo-ops, businessman trade in hard currency - and they don't forgive easily. THAT is the world Trump dealt with, for decades.

I don't think he has to change that - but he has to be more cautious. The press loves when people betray Republicans but detest people who betray Democrats. He has a tougher row to hoe.

SamSpade

When there's a clearly partisan vote - you are FAR MORE LIKELY to see a Republican switch sides, than the reverse. It's astonishing how on a vote, you can get EVERY SINGLE DEMOCRAT to vote the same way, but rarely so with Republicans.

CPUSA

I have to put you on ignore...
Your degree of stupid is extraordinary...I hope you don't breed. This world would be better off without your offspring...

PJay

Screenshot_20240318-102300.png

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Heck I'VE posted here a bit - and I still have no idea what he said.
Hang on a minute and he will tell us how Gurps is monetizing the site or that Gov employees and contractors are on here all day posting instead of working. He certainly can't be complaining that most, if not all, threads morph into something rarely resembling the OP.

SamSpade

Hang on a minute and he will tell us how Gurps is monetizing the site or that Gov employees and contractors are on here all day posting instead of working. He certainly can't be complaining that most, if not all, threads morph into something rarely resembling the OP.
I frequent at least three other forums covering completely different topics - like European politics, sci-fi, the Ukraine war - and it is clear that the site owner posts stuff - because it is interesting to them. Because none of them get much traffic - and I know, because each site shows its visitor traffic.

This is the classic mistake of most people BUT VERY COMMON on the left - and that is - "well I would only do that if *this* were the case". Or similar "if I believed that, I would make a law MAKING people do that". But the rest of the world does not think like that.