Pens Vs. Habs

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Ugh.

Congrats to Montreal. They did to the Penguins what they did to the Caps. Well deserved victory.

The Penguins ran out of gas, especially their stars. They'll benefit from the extra rest of not going to the Finals (again), and open the new arena with renewed vigor and another Stanley Cup. :smile:

Goodbye, Igloo, thanks for 43 years of memories. R.I.P. :cheers:

Go Habs!!! (Until the Finals, at least.)

HOCKEY RULES!!!! :buddies:

You know, it's kind of fitting, in a karma kind of way, that Montreal won the first and last games played at the Igloo. One of those interesting little twists that the Universe takes every now and then.

So, :popcorn: when does next season start? :popcorn: I'm going to have hockey withdrawal pretty soon..... :lmao:

Baz

This. ------------------>
Ya know, I'd feel really, really badly about the Canadiens beating my Penguins if it weren't for the fact that they beat the Caps first. Montreal has a great team this year and they fought hard. Halak is phenomenal and when you have Cammaleri & Gianta making goals... It'll be interesting to see if they can go the distance.

(wonder if Penguins tickets will be cheaper next year -- might actually get to go to a game at some point...)

Pens did their best, it just wasn't enough this year. Here's to next year's contest when it all starts all over again!:buddies:

:buddies:

Montreal, while outplayed much of the series, made the most of their opportunities, and played their (boring) game as game planned. Good on them.

As for tickets, they will probably be more expensive. They have a shiny new arena to pay for, as well as superstars to pay. The good news is the new arena has a great view from everywhere, including the cheapest seats.

Last edited:

Baz

You know, it's kind of fitting, in a karma kind of way, that Montreal won the first and last games played at the Igloo. One of those interesting little twists that the Universe takes every now and then.

Symmetry. And people say there are no Hockey Gods. Heh. :smile:

LET'S GO PENS!!!

BuddyLee

Football addict
Bylsma's won the Cup and has a hell of an impressive playoff series record. What's BooHoo done?
It appears he got lucky with a fluke draft acquiring both Sid and Malkie. Not bad for falling into the situation.

OldHillcrestGuy

Bylsma's won the Cup and has a hell of an impressive playoff series record. What's BooHoo done?

Come on 2 seasons make a hell of impressive playoff record, yes they won the cup his first year, but hes doing the same thing Bruce is doing now, playing golf. First 3 years Bruce has been coach took a team that hadn't made playoffs in 5 years to 3 straight playoff seasons. Two seasons in the AHL, took Hershey to the Caldor Cup and lost in finals his second season and last before becoming Caps head coach.
Got to give Montreal a hell of alot credit, squeak into the playoffs last couple of games, as #8 seed, takes on the 2 most potent offenses in the league, take both series to 7 games by mostly shutting down the 2 best players in hockey. They arent fun to watch, except for the awesome saves Halak continued to make throughout the playoffs so far, their D just shuts you down, the other team comes in over the blue line, their defensmen are there to just knock it back out, not far enough to get icing, but enough to break up the play and make the other team start over. If the Habs continue into the finals you gotta root for them to win, just by how they took it to the the Pens and Caps, and the long road being a 8th seed.

Baz

Got to give Montreal a hell of alot credit, squeak into the playoffs last couple of games, as #8 seed, takes on the 2 most potent offenses in the league, take both series to 7 games by mostly shutting down the 2 best players in hockey. They arent fun to watch, except for the awesome saves Halak continued to make throughout the playoffs so far, their D just shuts you down, the other team comes in over the blue line, their defensmen are there to just knock it back out, not far enough to get icing, but enough to break up the play and make the other team start over. If the Habs continue into the finals you gotta root for them to win, just by how they took it to the the Pens and Caps, and the long road being a 8th seed.

I agree in giving Montreal all the credit in the world. Halak in particular. Last night he made some amazing saves to prevent them from getting that 3rd goal. I can't stand Montreal's boring style of play, but I can't argue with success. They were the better team this playoff year, and that's all that matters. Congrats to 'em.

While I'll root for them to win the East, that'll be it. I'd prefer to see Chicago win it all, but I'll side with whichever team comes out of the West.

LordStanley

I know nothing
Opps looks like last year Champs are going to be this year's chumps also.:yahoo:

Sorry Baz.

Looks like Lord Stanley still has bragging rights Philly still in it.

Bragging Rights are only if the flyers make it past this round. We are only still in it cause the schedule was different.

Ive said it before, goal tending make the playoffs. Halak has been the back bone of that team. Playoff MVP should go to him!

OldHillcrestGuy

Bragging Rights are only if the flyers make it past this round. We are only still in it cause the schedule was different.

Ive said it before, goal tending make the playoffs. Halak has been the back bone of that team. Playoff MVP should go to him!

Well good luck in game 7. :buddies:

Peter Forsberg

:buddies:

Montreal, while outplayed much of the series, made the most of their opportunities, and played their (boring) game as game planned. Good on them.

As for tickets, they will probably be more expensive. They have a shiny new arena to pay for, as well as superstars to pay. The good news is the new arena has a great view from everywhere, including the cheapest seats.
Well atleast the players won't get hurt on the worst ice surface in the NHL anymore!

SG_Player1974

I, for one, am GLAD :yahoo: that the PENS got bounced! They have been the league's poster children since Cindy got drafted by them. Ovechkin is a MUCH better player and leader but for some reason the league picked Cindy and the Pens to be their poster team! That whole team is full of cry babies and whinny cheap-shot artists. It started in last year's Cup playoffs and continued through this year.

Peter Forsberg

I, for one, am GLAD :yahoo: that the PENS got bounced! They have been the league's poster children since Cindy got drafted by them. Ovechkin is a MUCH better player and leader but for some reason the league picked Cindy and the Pens to be their poster team! That whole team is full of cry babies and whinny cheap-shot artists. It started in last year's Cup playoffs and continued through this year.
Matt Cooke is a no skill having dirty little bastard. He went after Hall Gill stiched up leg. Gosh these hockey forums are so quiet now. I guess the the wagon wheels fell off!

Baz

Matt Cooke is a no skill having dirty little bastard. He went after Hall Gill stiched up leg. Gosh these hockey forums are so quiet now. I guess the the wagon wheels fell off!

Actually, Matt Cooke brings alot to the table. People who don't watch the Pens very much may think of him as just a thug, but he's a valuable all-around player. Scored 15 goals this season, plus 4 in these playoffs. A great checker and grinder, plus he's a very good penalty killer. A high energy, hard worker. Hopefully the Penguins are able to re-sign him.

And it does figure this thread quieted down after the series ended, doesn't it?

T.Rally

Crosby is everything right with sports; gives 100% every night, makes his teammates better, plays the game the right way, humble, signs autographs, never have to worry about his character, always speaks to the media, those who don't see Sid daily are more apt to speak out without any shred of evidence and normally spoken out of jealousy or just plain not knowing.

JoeR

Actually, Matt Cooke brings alot to the table. People who don't watch the Pens very much may think of him as just a thug, but he's a valuable all-around player. Scored 15 goals this season, plus 4 in these playoffs. A great checker and grinder, plus he's a very good penalty killer. A high energy, hard worker. Hopefully the Penguins are able to re-sign him.

And it does figure this thread quieted down after the series ended, doesn't it?

And the fact that he came to the Pens as a free agent after finishing the 07-08 season after being traded by Vancouver to the CAPS.

Baz

Crosby is everything right with sports; gives 100% every night, makes his teammates better, plays the game the right way, humble, signs autographs, never have to worry about his character, always speaks to the media, those who don't see Sid daily are more apt to speak out without any shred of evidence and normally spoken out of jealousy or just plain not knowing.

:yeahthat:

I'll just add what John Buccigross (of ESPN) wrote in response to a couple emails he received from people whining about Sid.

I watch parts of just about every NHL game. I don't watch "Lost" or "Dancing with the Stars" or "Idol." I watch NHL hockey every night I'm home. These are my observations:

1. Crosby rarely whines. In fact, he is one of the more subdued players in the NHL. That is a fact. If you believe otherwise, you haven't seen a large sample of his games this season.

2. To call him overrated is as implausibly mind-boggling as calling Lady Gaga underrated. He wins faceoffs, he scores goals, he is the best passer in the NHL, he backchecks, he's completely committed to his craft, he carries his franchise's media load and has since he was 18. No one has had more asked of him over the past five years than Crosby.

3. Crosby has a scoring title, an MVP award, a Stanley Cup and an overtime gold medal-winning goal. He's 22. He's good. Try to enjoy him like the NBA fans who aren't Cavaliers fans enjoy LeBron James and baseball fans who aren't Cardinals fans enjoy Albert Pujols.

(You can add a Richard trophy to number 3, as well.)