Peter Jennings

K

Kizzy

just died. ABC just made an announcement, lung cancer. They say he was at home with his family.

K

Kizzy

He was a smoker, 67 I think, stopped in the mid 80's and picked up the habit again 20 years later after 9/11. It was just this past spring he made the announcement that he had been diagnosed. He started working for ABC in 1964, which was before I was born. I’ve just always remembered him reporting the news. He’ll be missed.

ABC hasn't even put up a link yet on his death.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Kizzy said:
He was a smoker, 67 I think, stopped in the mid 80's and picked up the habit again 20 years later after 9/11. It was just this past spring he made the announcement that he had been diagnosed. He started working for ABC in 1964, which was before I was born. I’ve just always remembered him reporting the news. He’ll be missed.

ABC hasn't even put up a link yet on his death.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/07/jennings.obit/index.html

Found one on CNN.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Kizzy said:
Thanks BuddyLee.
No problem. Here's a short biography...

Television presenter and journalist. Born July 29, 1938 in Toronto, Canada. Jennings joined ABC News in 1964, serving as anchor of the "ABC Evening News" from 1965 to 1968. He then served seven years as the bureau chief for Beirut, Lebanon, where he established the first American television news bureau in the Arab world. He was the foreign desk anchor for "World News Tonight" from 1978 to 1983.

Jennings was named anchor and senior editor of "World News Tonight" in 1983. In this capacity, he reported on such seminal world events as the rise and fall of the Berlin Wall, the Civil Rights Movement, the Vietnam War, the fight for equality in South Africa and the September 11 terrorist attacks.

In 1990, he debuted a primetime show, "Peter Jennings Reporting," which focused on in-depth coverage of international news and domestic issues. The show earned numerous awards, including the 2004 Edward R. Morrow award for best documentary for "The Kennedy Assassination - Beyond Conspiracy."

Jennings has won several other awards, including 14 Emmys and two Peabodys. He received the Washington Journalism Review’s award for the country's best anchor for five consecutive years and Harvard University's Goldsmith Career Award for excellence in journalism.

In April 2005, Jennings announced that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer. He will continue to work when he can throughout his treatment. Jennings is the author of the best-selling books "The Century" and "In Search of America." He currently resides in Manhattan with his wife, Kayce Freed. He has two children.
http://www.biography.com/search/article.jsp?aid=14821326&search=

I

icebaby1111

How sad. He was a favorite. I remember back in April when he announced he had lung cancer.

Hessian

Canadian Liberal....

Go back to some of his "reporting" on election night when Prez Bush won...or farther back with Reagan...typical cut from the mold liberal.

I have watched his documentaries on the history channel and found them generally pretty good.

I won't be sending flowers.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hessian said:
Canadian Liberal....

Go back to some of his "reporting" on election night when Prez Bush won...or farther back with Reagan...typical cut from the mold liberal.

I have watched his documentaries on the history channel and found them generally pretty good.

Thank you. My comment was going to be "Woo hoo - what a loss :rolleyes:" but I didn't like to rain on the parade.

Peter Jennings was buddies with Larry's uncle - they were little ABC reporters together back in the day. Larry sat in front of Jennings at his cousin's wedding.

Still no great loss.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Hessian said:
Canadian Liberal....

But, I'll be sending you some karma....

Goofing_Off

vraiblonde said:
Thank you. My comment was going to be "Woo hoo - what a loss :rolleyes:" but I didn't like to rain on the parade.

Peter Jennings was buddies with Larry's uncle - they were little ABC reporters together back in the day. Larry sat in front of Jennings at his cousin's wedding.

Still no great loss.
Harsh.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Goofing_Off said:

:yeahthat: I beg to differ on the "no great loss" -- Put to a test... think how differently, good or bad, the last several decades of broadcast would have been... :shrug:

Personally, I appreciate who he was. Good AND bad....

Last edited:

Mikeinsmd

Hessian said:
Canadian Liberal.... Go back to some of his "reporting" on election night when Prez Bush won...or farther back with Reagan...typical cut from the mold liberal. I have watched his documentaries on the history channel and found them generally pretty good. I won't be sending flowers.
He was the better of the three (Brokaw and Rather) but still a biased liberal.

Hopefully some of my smoker friends on here will take note?? He wasn't an old man!! He didn't have to die.... :hinthint: :huggy: