Peter Jennings

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is important...

...in my view.

My uncle was the executive producer of ABC evening news and Peter was the face. Peter, in essence, got unc fired in the 80's and Peter became the producer AND star of the evening news.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200305\NAT20030501c.html

Now, as you older folks will remember, the big three, ABC, NBC and CBS were the WORD back in the day. There was no cable nor talk radio nor web to offer other views, opinions or, frankly, competition.

People like Dan Rather who brought their bias' so blatantly to the screen simply did not nor could not exist in a world where Cronkite (CBS), Brinkley (NBC) and Howard K. Smith (ABC) strode. These people were viewed as the pinnacles of integrity and honesty. They delivered THE NEWS but they were NOT the producers of their own programs.

I think there is a case to be made that having the 'face' also produce the news he is 'reporting' is, at root, a bad idea and also a prime factor in what we see as wrong with the mainstream media; it becomes about Peter and Dan and Tom, not the news.

I think many will recall that when CNN started showing up on the scene one of the strongest attractions was, at the time, they simply reported the news and it stood in stark contrast to reports by Jennings and Rather who had reached such levels of power that their shows had become how they saw the world and not what one would call reporting.

For the record my uncle thought highly of Jennings and when I met him he truly had that 'star power', that magnetism that famous people are always said to have. Also, in person he looked just like he did on TV unlike many people who look wierd off camera.

In any event, I think Jennings was, to me, part of the problem, the genesis, in terms of why network news has lost its credibility.

Aside from that, my condolenses to the Jennings family.

C

canuk woman

Kizzy said:
just died. ABC just made an announcement, lung cancer. They say he was at home with his family.

i'm speechless i found out this morning and i was in the same state of shock when i found out that christopher reeve died (yes you may insert a joke guys) anyway i send my condolences to his family and ABC and risking ticking everyone off CBC (well he used to be an anchor for that channel)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
canuk woman said:
i'm speechless i found out this morning and i was in the same state of shock when i found out that christopher reeve died
Oh for God's sake. :rolleyes: I'm not looking at this thread anymore.

Bogart

I guess I'm an asswhole, too, because I don't really get why the death of a guy who was, I guess, a pretty good reader for his times, is the top 'news' story of the day. People watch network 'news'?

Bogart

Johnson Publishing Co. describes itself as the world's largest African-American-owned and -operated publishing company.

It also publishes books by black authors, owns Fashion Fair Cosmetics and produces television specials.

The National Association of Black Journalists on Monday hailed Johnson as a "visionary."

"We all grew up with Ebony, Jet and Johnson publications. Mr. Johnson was a pioneer, a visionary, and an inspiration to us all," association president Bryan Monroe said in a news release.

"He is responsible for the careers and success of hundreds of black journalists and his voice will be missed."
Uh, huh. Bury it on A23. And bump that story about oil for food scandal from the front page for PETER JENNINGS!!!
:thewave:

willie

vraiblonde said:
You have to watch it, it's your job! Do you think Brothers Johnson like pumping septic tanks? NO, but it's their job.

C

canuk woman

vraiblonde said:

but it's true peter jennings was a canadian american

C

canuk woman

Mikeinsmd said:
Oh for Christs sake he was WHITE!!! :duh: Whitey, Honkey, Cracka....

well yeah peter jennings did like hockey i'm sure one of his final wishes was for the lockout to end