Police shoot and kill teenager with air soft gun in St Marys

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Since this officer was a uniformed Trooper, I'm thinking he was wearing a video camera. Have to wait to see that footage before passing judgement.
Don't think so. The body cameras also record audio and that puts them afoul of the state wiretapping restrictions that require all parties give permission prior to being recorded. There is however a push in the legislature to carve out exceptions for LEOs wearing them in line of duty and I think it might be a part of that recent bill regarding Officer's Bill of Rights.

Will99

Don't think so. The body cameras also record audio and that puts them afoul of the state wiretapping restrictions that require all parties give permission prior to being recorded. There is however a push in the legislature to carve out exceptions for LEOs wearing them in line of duty and I think it might be a part of that recent bill regarding Officer's Bill of Rights.
Wire tap laws only have to do with surreptitious recording where a person does not have an expectation of privacy. A person on the street doesn’t have an expectation of privacy otherwise a news reporter wouldn’t be able to stick their camera and mic in someone who didn’t want to be recorded‘s face.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My security came also record sound, cant imagine someone running afoul of the law providing security cam footage.
Be an interesting case with the doorbell cameras. They record video and audio, no notifications, and someone may not even be aware of the presence of a camera.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Be an interesting case with the doorbell cameras. They record video and audio, no notifications, and someone may not even be aware of the presence of a camera.
I have signs alerting anyone approaching my house that I have security cameras.

Will99

That explains when I was in a fender bender (or hood and bumper bender) why the deputy made me aware he was wearing a body cam.
Some police agencies have policies which require their officers to notify the person they are being audio and visually recorded but there is no law which requires them to do so if the person is in public a public setting. If you are in your car, one might argue you have an expectation of privacy there, but not if you are where others can hear the conversation.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Maryland State Troopers don't wear body cameras. In fact, up until this year, they were the only agency in the state that wasn't being looked at to get them. Now, individual troopers may have them but it's not an agency mandate.

I was at several meetings the last several years (from around 2010) concerning body cameras and the impetus was to equip the locals and not MSP (being the professionals they are it was thought they didn't need them).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was at several meetings the last several years (from around 2010) concerning body cameras and the impetus was to equip the locals and not MSP (being the professionals they are it was thought they didn't need them).

That's not the best decision I've ever heard of. Wonder if this latest incident changes their mind.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I agree with Greg. NONE of us were there. We don't know exactly what happened. We know what has been reported, but even that may turn out not to be accurate as the investigation proceeds. There are no winners in this situation. A teenager died. A family lost their son. And a trooper will likely be forever changed by this, in a terrible way.

Another thing, for those that are saying the cop shouldn't have shot him because "he was just a kid". Would the cop be any less dead if shot in the head (if the gun had been real), just because it was held by a teenager and not an adult?
Anyone who has seen someone die is changed forever, even the nice relaxed we all knew it was coming ones will haunt you.

mitzi

Maryland State Troopers don't wear body cameras. In fact, up until this year, they were the only agency in the state that wasn't being looked at to get them. Now, individual troopers may have them but it's not an agency mandate.

That's ridiculous. They should have them too.

DaSDGuy

That explains when I was in a fender bender (or hood and bumper bender) why the deputy made me aware he was wearing a body cam.
He made you aware. He didn't need your permission because that isn't the law. Its legal to record someone if they know it is happening, but you don't need their permission.

mitzi

He made you aware. He didn't need your permission because that isn't the law. Its legal to record someone if they know it is happening, but you don't need their permission.

I know. He told he had one on and I said fine.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Some police agencies have policies which require their officers to notify the person they are being audio and visually recorded but there is no law which requires them to do so if the person is in public a public setting. If you are in your car, one might argue you have an expectation of privacy there, but not if you are where others can hear the conversation.
that could be just to advise them of their rights as anything recorded could be used as evidence against them

black dog

Free America

Yep. Remember folks what you say Can and WILL be used Against You.