Politicizing another funeral...

willie

vraiblonde said:
Those people could not possibly be more crass or inappropriate. This sort of thing is just what I expect from the Democratic party anymore - I'd be disappointed if they ever actually showed some class.

But this is what Bush gets for pandering to blacks by attending the funeral anyway.
I don't believe the latter part was true. He was trying to kiss butt on a large political segment that isn't too fond of him and they kicked him in the teeth for his effort.

BTW, did Carter mean wire tapping was bad in general, regardless of who does it, or is that traitor actually senile?

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
willie said:
I don't believe the latter part was true. He was trying to kiss butt on a large political segment that isn't too fond of him and they kicked him in the teeth for his effort.

BTW, did Carter mean wire tapping was bad in general, regardless of who does it, or is that traitor actually senile?

I don't really get into the political sneakiness but whenever anything goes down in this country or that of another the Bush's, Clintons, Ford, Carter as well as Jesse and Al do their parts to help bring the structure of things back together.

Whether standing side by side or taking on diffrent parts of the same project, they work together when it hits the fan. If they choose to use those opportunities to plug views or attack others efforts then that is just them being a politician first.

A person can do a lot of ugly but him nor anyone else that spoke at that furneral did not have to go or speak. But, as I listened I heard sincere words from a human being and not from a politician or race.

camily

Peace
vraiblonde said:
Then I will tell you, so you don't hurt yourself jumping to conclusions.

Coretta King was a nobody - wife of somebody and that's pretty much it. Prior to her death, if you'd done a "man on the street" and asked "What is Martin Luther King, Jr's widow's name?" 99% of the people polled wouldn't have been able to tell you. So Bush flying the flags at half mast and all those politicians wanting to be seen at her funeral is just silly.

Sorry. That's just the way I see it. If the media has to remind you who she is by attaching "wife of" to her name, then she's not important enough for flags and Presidential funeral attendance.
Sorry Vrai, but I think this was pretty insensitive and inaccurate.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
I disagree.
Some people vote along religious lines, i.e. their conscience.
A pastor should have a right to expose a candidate as someone who does not represent his congregations' values.
Disagree all you want, but why is it that they enjoy exemption from taxes? Because of the supposed separation of religious and political ideas and agendas from those of the government. If they are using their church to espouse a political message then make them pay taxes like the rest of us.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
IMO a funeral is a place to celebrate the life of the deceased. It is disgusting for anyone to use it for thier own political agenda. I think today's politicians, republican and democrat, go overboard trying to be politically correct.

Pete

Repete
Midnightrider said:
you were making sense right up til there......

but this tiraid is just rediculous. Just b/c you don't know who she is doesn't mean that 99% of people don't.
Hell man, 80% of people think the "State Department" paves the roads. :rolleyes:

Americans are woefully ignorant. Watch Leno one night with his Jaywalking deal.

I have no problem with Bush going to the funeral. I believe she was a pivitol person in civil rights after MLK was killed.

IMO it was a testiment to Bush's integrity to show up on behalf of the nation to the funeral of CSK when clearly her followers really don't like him.

Pete

Repete
harleygirl said:
IMO a funeral is a place to celebrate the life of the deceased. It is disgusting for anyone to use it for thier own political agenda. I think today's politicians, republican and democrat, go overboard trying to be politically correct.
:confused:

ylexot

Super Genius
LexiGirl75 said:
If they choose to use those opportunities to plug views or attack others efforts then that is just them being a politician first.
And there is the crux of the matter. It is wholly inappropriate to be a politician first at a funeral. Funerals are a recognition of our humanity and a celebration of the person's life. We should be humans first and we should speak highly of the person for whom we mourn. It is not the place or time to attack others.

ylexot

Super Genius
Pete said:
Hell man, 80% of people think the "State Department" paves the roads. :rolleyes:

Americans are woefully ignorant. Watch Leno one night with his Jaywalking deal.

I have no problem with Bush going to the funeral. I believe she was a pivitol person in civil rights after MLK was killed.

IMO it was a testiment to Bush's integrity to show up on behalf of the nation to the funeral of CSK when clearly her followers really don't like him.
:yeahthat:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Ken King said:
Disagree all you want, but why is it that they enjoy exemption from taxes? Because of the supposed separation of religious and political ideas and agendas from those of the government. If they are using their church to espouse a political message then make them pay taxes like the rest of us.

Ken King, that rule was created many moons ago. The religious leaders of yesterday may have been able to hold back their political views in the pulpit but today we are in a very different America.

When churches are being bombed it is terrorism, which part of terrorism do you want the church to keep quiet about? Is it the part that affects the government buildings on the part that affects people?

What about interest rates and lending practices. These things affect the churches who need to refinance or build a bigger church for a growing congregation. Should they have to take it or must they pay taxes to speak up about a political action?

The only thing I agree with is that a rule is a rule but when a foot is on someone's neck they tend to scream. Even if they promised not to.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
LexiGirl75 said:
what I don't get is why can't a white or Republican president attend a black funeral
Don't racialize this, please. It's not about Bush attending a "black" funeral. :rolleyes: If Clarence Thomas or even Barak Obama died, I would expect Bush to attend.

And she has contributed a lot to the civil rights movement by helping keep Dr. King's dream alive as with all who continued the effort to put a stop to non-violence and bring whites and blacks together.
So have a lot of other people, but I wouldn't expect flags to be flown at half-mast upon their death. Nor would I expect the President to attend their funeral.

I am somebody
And guess what? The President more than likely will not be attending your funeral nor will any flags be flown at half-mast upon your demise.

The media did not attach "wife of" to remind anyone who she is. They attached it because that is who she is.
Typically when a person who was somebody in their own right, their famous spouse gets mentioned as an afterthought, not as the lead-in.

I feel like you enjoy division amongst the blacks and whites and dems and reps.
That's very amusing because I think you enjoy racial division, or you wouldn't say things like "why can't Bush go to a black funeral?" when that's not the point and you know it.

donbarzini

LexiGirl75 said:
...today we are in a very different America.

You're right about that.....but....If the liberals want us to separate church and state in the schools, then they have to do the same in the pulpit.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Midnightrider said:
but this tiraid is just rediculous. Just b/c you don't know who she is doesn't mean that 99% of people don't.
What's ridiculous is you trying to pretend you knew who she was before her death. Of course I knew who she was. But I also know that the majority of the people you ask on the street can't tell you who their Congressional representatives are - I have no reason to believe they would know who Coretta Scott King was.

donbarzini

vraiblonde said:
What's ridiculous is you trying to pretend you knew who she was before her death. Of course I knew who she was. But I also know that the majority of the people you ask on the street can't tell you who their Congressional representatives are - I have no reason to believe they would know who Coretta Scott King was.

I work in SE DC and in the aftermath of her death, I heard six people(4 of them African-American) refer to her as Loretta Scott King.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
I thought she was married to the guy who wrote the National Anthem.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
LexiGirl75 said:
I don't really get into the political sneakiness but whenever anything goes down in this country or that of another the Bush's, Clintons, Ford, Carter as well as Jesse and Al do their parts to help bring the structure of things back together.
Now I know you are crazy. Jesse and Al CREATE the chaos and divide - they don't repair it. It's what they do for a living, create racial strife.

And Al Sharpton has zero credibility until he pays the money he owes Steven Pagones for ruining his life in the Tawana Brawley hoax. Yeah, that Al - he's a real helper, isn't he? :rolleyes:

ylexot

Super Genius
vraiblonde said:
I admit that when I heard that she died, I said, "who?" Oh, MLK's wife...didn't know that she was still alive.

donbarzini

K_Jo said:
I thought she was married to the guy who wrote the National Anthem.

:lmao:

We really need a "spit take" smiley, because I just finished wiping coffee off of my monitor.

donbarzini

vraiblonde said:
Now I know you are crazy. Jesse and Al CREATE the chaos and divide - they don't repair it. It's what they do for a living, create racial strife.

And Al Sharpton has zero credibility until he pays the money he owes Steven Pagones for ruining his life in the Tawana Brawley hoax. Yeah, that Al - he's a real helper, isn't he? :rolleyes:

Have some respect. After all, how many Presidential candidates have you seen making commercials for a loan company? Hmmmmmmmm?