PREDATOR killed my chickens

Roman

My Husband built a shed, with nest boxes, windows, and a door for us to gain access. There is a little door for the chicks to get out in to an area that is covered from top, to bottom with wire. The roof of the pen has this plastic that is green, that allows for shade, and keeps the rain from bombarding the dirt floor. If you'd like to come see it Arkie, you are more than welcome..

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My Husband built a shed, with nest boxes, windows, and a door for us to gain access. There is a little door for the chicks to get out in to an area that is covered from top, to bottom with wire. The roof of the pen has this plastic that is green, that allows for shade, and keeps the rain from bombarding the dirt floor. If you'd like to come see it Arkie, you are more than welcome..

Sounds like mine. Except for the shed part as a roosting place I used to have 3 sheds that I turned into chicken roosting areas, but sold them off when I was at living a property I could not use them. Now I wish I had kept 1 of them.

Looks like I will need to build one inside the pen. The pre-fab ones cost too much. My problem is that we have the top 1/3 of the pen covered in poultry wire which isn't fastened down well enough in some places. Areas that my helper saw that were small, oh nothing can get in that he'd say - yeah right I'd say, and I was considered being "negative" and blowing it out of proportion. So with 9 dead hens, how does my helper feel now? Bad I hope, because I know better and I told the helper it needed to be done with heavier gauge wire top to bottom not just the bottom 2/3. Oh well, what's done is done, time to move on and make it better so no more predators can get in.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
On a good note, we bought some chicks from Tractor Supply last week. They are Red Sex Links (prolific layers). The red heat bulb makes the coloring look like that.

Attachments

• 2012-03-19RedSexLinkChicks.jpg
    2012-03-19RedSexLinkChicks.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 2012-03-19RedSexLinkChicks2.pg.jpg
    2012-03-19RedSexLinkChicks2.pg.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 148

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

Too bad we can't pay your hubby to build a shed in my pens. I found 2 handymen in the Classifieds that I will get prices from to finish the work for the pens but I may still need someone that can build the roosting shed they need.

I decided I am also going to run electric lines around the pen to discourage predators (I have an extra elec. fence charger) - going to research online how best to run it (probably zig-zag) and I was also thinking about those automatic door openers for the roosting house - have you seen those? Very cool - but pricey ..... they also have a solar powered one - cool! That way if a predator did get into the pen, hopefully it would be gone the same way it got in before daybreak when the timer would open the door?

Automatic Chicken Door from My Pet Chicken

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Roman PS - I really like the idea of my chickens roosting in open air from Spring-Fall, so when I build the roosting shed, I'd probably only use it in the Winter (keep it closed all other times) unless it had a fan to circulate the air on humid, hot nights? Just thinking about 20-25 hens in a small space to sleep with their 102 degree bodies, make me hot just thinking about it.

I think I'll have to concentrate on making the entire pen predator-proof - that way I have until Winter to get a roosting shed built. I hear you can get roosting shed plans online for free - will see if I can find some. I have separate nest boxes, so don't need that in shed.

Chicken Facts by The Easy Chicken for beginners

Roman

Our Roosting Shed is enclosed on one side, which is the side that the Chicks gain entrance to it. It has a Window that opens, and a side door that we can get in there from. Both openings are covered with Screen, and Rabbit Wire so that we can leave them open for ventilation. We have a small hatch that leads to the Roosting Boxes, so we can get the eggs. I wish he had the time to do it for you Ark. I am going to write you a PM on a different subject. I don't want to steal this thread.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Our Roosting Shed is enclosed on one side, which is the side that the Chicks gain entrance to it. It has a Window that opens, and a side door that we can get in there from. Both openings are covered with Screen, and Rabbit Wire so that we can leave them open for ventilation. We have a small hatch that leads to the Roosting Boxes, so we can get the eggs. I wish he had the time to do it for you Ark. I am going to write you a PM on a different subject. I don't want to steal this thread.

I may try my hand at carpentry this year I guess. As long as I don't my hands on a loaded nail gun, all of you should be safe. I will look for free plans online and hope I can figure it out by October.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
so I see an ad in the classified for a handyman. He says: "I prefer the smaller jobs."

So I email the guy, explain the job, and he replies: "Minimum estimate before I look at the job would not be less than $950.00
That is if you have all the materials and hardware.
Will you be using screws for the plastic corrugation?
Are you supplying all the nails and screws?

If my price is not acceptable, it is no need for me to come do an on-site estimate."

Since when did almost $1k constitute a small "handyman" job?

I obviously won't be scheduling him for an estimate. This work shouldn't cost more than $500 since we're providing all the materials.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Saw this, thought of you

Serious..... Might be do-able for a few bucks and a search on either free-cycle or Craigs list for a used trampoline frame.
I found it here on Pinterest, and there are more ideas/photos of coops for chickens.

You could check around for used/free pieces of rebar. Drill holes in 2x4 pieces at base of wire and pound rebar thru 2x4s to secure them to the ground to keep critters from getting in.
Just a thought....

Attachments

• chic coop.jpg
    chic coop.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Roman

What a great idea Kate! Thanks for Posting this. My Sister's Friend in North Carolina wants to have Chickens, and has been researching for many weeks. I will pass this along to her.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Serious..... Might be do-able for a few bucks and a search on either free-cycle or Craigs list for a used trampoline frame.
I found it here on Pinterest, and there are more ideas/photos of coops for chickens.

You could check around for used/free pieces of rebar. Drill holes in 2x4 pieces at base of wire and pound rebar thru 2x4s to secure them to the ground to keep critters from getting in.
Just a thought....

Looks like a great idea BUT ....

The predators can chew through poultry wire, so a trampoline skin would be just as easy - nope won't provide safety. I used plastic roofing over Pen #1 with poultry under the roof to save money, but I regret it now. Next pen will have metal roofing and eventually I'll upgrade Pen #1 to the same, hopefully before I lose a chicken.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Looks like a great idea BUT ....

The predators can chew through poultry wire, so a trampoline skin would be just as easy - nope won't provide safety. I used plastic roofing over Pen #1 with poultry under the roof to save money, but I regret it now. Next pen will have metal roofing and eventually I'll upgrade Pen #1 to the same, hopefully before I lose a chicken.

Oh...did not know that.
Guess the folks who made this didnt think of that.

Can you use 1x1 or 2x2 rat wire?
I buy it in huge rolls from the Amish.
Just a thought.