Question for show people?

fredsaid2

barncat said:
I've never shown locally because there was never anything to meet my needs. An eight fence course would still not tempt me to wake-up early, load the horse and stand around for the crazy show ring schedule that I have experienced at the hunter/jumper shows I have tried. I understand it's winter and an indoor can only accommodate so many fences. Maybe if I had a super-green one I would consider, and I guess that is what the majority of the horse/rider combinations are that compete at the local shows. I always loved that the eventing season ended in mid-November and started mid-March, just enough time to take a break, start working again and get back out there to compete.

As an eventer I can understand why a hunter course wouldn't appeal to you but the experience can be rewarding. Hunters generally are some variation of a basic 8 jump course, outside line-outside line-diagonal-diagonal. You'll find more options in eq and jumpers. An 8 jump course doesn't speak to lack of experience. Making that course smooth and seamless on a 12' stride is not easy. There are a lot of green combos at locals like MSA but some very polished pairs too. Check results and you'll see plenty that compete sucessfully at the As. I think the kids just enjoy showing at home and seeing the friends they've made through the years.

barncat

fredsaid2 said:
As an eventer I can understand why a hunter course wouldn't appeal to you but the experience can be rewarding. Hunters generally are some variation of a basic 8 jump course, outside line-outside line-diagonal-diagonal. You'll find more options in eq and jumpers. An 8 jump course doesn't speak to lack of experience. Making that course smooth and seamless on a 12' stride is not easy. There are a lot of green combos at locals like MSA but some very polished pairs too. Check results and you'll see plenty that compete sucessfully at the As. I think the kids just enjoy showing at home and seeing the friends they've made through the years.

Please do not think I don't envy the hunter riders that have those beautiful, flowing rounds, I have the utmost respect for them. I unfortunately do not have that kind of patience and I'm very fortunate that eventing does not have the same requirements as hunters. Occassionally I would get a course where I could sit there and do practically nothing and it was wonderful, normally I effed everything up by trying to tell my man when and how to jump.

I understand the friendships that are made competing, I'd see regulars at events as we were making our ways up the levels that I looked forward to seeing.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
remaxrealtor said:
Wow...I really tried to stay out of this thread. You are advertising a BUSINESS EVENT here, which I have no problem with. However, I have never seen Flat Iron post here, good or bad, and until they do....leave names and personal opinions out of this forum. It's rude and unprofessional, and generally makes you look bad. I would like to have respect for you and your facility...don't ruin it for me.
I sincerely apologize for adding names. It is unprofessional. I was responding to KerryAnn's post just previous to that when names were added. I was offended and insulted and responded before cooling off. It was wrong of me to do, and I will try not to ever do it again.

K

KerryAnn1

barncat said:
Please do not think I don't envy the hunter riders that have those beautiful, flowing rounds, I have the utmost respect for them. I unfortunately do not have that kind of patience and I'm very fortunate that eventing does not have the same requirements as hunters. Occassionally I would get a course where I could sit there and do practically nothing and it was wonderful, normally I effed everything up by trying to tell my man when and how to jump.

I understand the friendships that are made competing, I'd see regulars at events as we were making our ways up the levels that I looked forward to seeing.

My mom events! She is 57 years old and loves it. I have always done Hunters. I go to watch and occasionally school with my mom x-country and do to dressage clinics with her. The eventing people are sooooo great! They have great personalities and are very helpful to riders that need it. I have seen both worlds- Hunter people are not always as nice up here(JUST AN OPINION :flowers: ) I have seen "fights" at MSA(and other local shows) in both the schooling ring and at the gate. I know that showing can be stressful but why add to it by being nasty. I was raised around here and moved to Houston for school- met my husband and set up a home in TX- BUT always came home to see my family and watch them ride/show etc (homesick)...that is why I am new to the area but not so new to the horse comm. Things down there are very different. Most of the people I have met with horses- and these people are excellent horses people- do it for a living and all- they work with each other. If a hunter trainer has a horse in the barn that would do better in the jumper ring, they send it down the street to a trainer that specializes in jumpers- for example. The jumper trainer would do the same thing. Giving each other business- that way they both eat dinner that night.

My mom has a small barn in Mech. and shows in every discipline- Just when my parents divorced she needed a replacement- so she replaced my dad with 5 geldings that all do something different. She does not do MSA because she says she is too old to deal with the waiting and the drama. She'd rather go to VA to do hunters, get a hotel and camp out where she is comfortable. :lmao:

K

Katie

KerryAnn1 said:
My mom has a small barn in Mech. and shows in every discipline- Just when my parents divorced she needed a replacement- so she replaced my dad with 5 geldings that all do something different. She does not do MSA because she says she is too old to deal with the waiting and the drama. She'd rather go to VA to do hunters, get a hotel and camp out where she is comfortable. :lmao:

Last summer at MSA in June. I saw a little girl in the schooling ring with her pony and all the big horses all around her. She fell off her pony. SerentiyStables was there also, remember when that happened?

R

remaxrealtor

Sadielady said:
I sincerely apologize for adding names. It is unprofessional. I was responding to KerryAnn's post just previous to that when names were added. I was offended and insulted and responded before cooling off. It was wrong of me to do, and I will try not to ever do it again.
Thanks for that! I love the info we can get on this forum, but there's no room for petty crap. Your apology was sweet and heartfelt....I look forward to meeting you and attending events you plan! :huggy:

barncat

KerryAnn1 said:
My mom events! She is 57 years old and loves it. I have always done Hunters. I go to watch and occasionally school with my mom x-country and do to dressage clinics with her. The eventing people are sooooo great! They have great personalities and are very helpful to riders that need it. I have seen both worlds- Hunter people are not always as nice up here(JUST AN OPINION :flowers: ) I have seen "fights" at MSA(and other local shows) in both the schooling ring and at the gate. I know that showing can be stressful but why add to it by being nasty. I was raised around here and moved to Houston for school- met my husband and set up a home in TX- BUT always came home to see my family and watch them ride/show etc (homesick)...that is why I am new to the area but not so new to the horse comm. Things down there are very different. Most of the people I have met with horses- and these people are excellent horses people- do it for a living and all- they work with each other. If a hunter trainer has a horse in the barn that would do better in the jumper ring, they send it down the street to a trainer that specializes in jumpers- for example. The jumper trainer would do the same thing. Giving each other business- that way they both eat dinner that night.

I enjoyed competing and felt I could talk to anyone at an event. I've borrowed equipment from fellow competitors, helped cool down other's horses and always wished everyone a safe ride when heading out cross country.

I love competing in VA. At Blue Ridge one year we camped at the fairgrounds and the gentleman on security cooked us dinner and breakfast over an open fire and had some beers with us. I had a habit of drinking a little too much but I always had a great time.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
KerryAnn1 said:
WHEWWWW! Glad thats all better now. I really DID NOT MEAN to be a "pot stirring" person- just wanted to know what was up. I always love when fredsaid2 gets on here. EVERYTHING that is said is positive and makes sense. Thank you so much for helping ease the tension. I know what you mean about the courses and having 8 jump courses, 12 foot strides etc. to school over. There are plans to have a large outdoor arena with lights to do a summer schooling series. So I am sure that the 2 barns will coordinate dates so they both can choose to participate or not.

Wheww, I'm glad you finally chilled out. Everyone has good intentions. :flowers:

GallopNTec

Sadielady said:
:howdy: Thanks for apologizing, guess I wasn't playing nice either. Sorry.

I think we all got the Full Moon Crazies.... my house pets were all wacko last night.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
KerryAnn1 said:
My mom has a small barn in Mech. and shows in every discipline- Just when my parents divorced she needed a replacement- so she replaced my dad with 5 geldings that all do something different. :lmao:

Your mom sounds like my kinda woman :lol:
That's exactly what i would do if i ever had to replace Rottncop. 'Cept i might choose some mares too.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
The thread that never dies...... I think this should be the last post from me on this thread for my project is finally finished and approved. I am taking some show bills to local tack shows. If you would like one by e-mail, PM me and leave your e-mail address. Hope the weather holds up! Good luck to everyone showing that weekend no matter what show! :howdy:

CaliGirl

I am rather surprised that this thread is still up. The Mods should delete it as its basically advertising for a business vice for personal use. I may be new here, but have been involved with many other forums and this has been at times a sorry example of what people do and say when they have more time on their hands and less sense than they should.

Just my opinion...

SouthernMdRocks

CaliGirl said:
I am rather surprised that this thread is still up. The Mods should delete it as its basically advertising for a business vice for personal use. I may be new here, but have been involved with many other forums and this has been at times a sorry example of what people do and say when they have more time on their hands and less sense than they should.

Just my opinion...

You know what they say about opinions......JMO :whistle:

CaliGirl

Hey, I am not trying to gain enemies here. I just shook my head reading some of the nasty things that were thrown at each other and I felt the need to say something. I guess I just don't see the point in making people feel bad. I thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum where people with the same interests can come together, not mud sling at one another. I am not going to apologize for what I said. To whomever sent me bad karma for stating the facts, I guess I hit a nerve.

fredsaid2

CaliGirl said:
Hey, I am not trying to gain enemies here. I just shook my head reading some of the nasty things that were thrown at each other and I felt the need to say something. I guess I just don't see the point in making people feel bad. I thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum where people with the same interests can come together, not mud sling at one another. I am not going to apologize for what I said. To whomever sent me bad karma for stating the facts, I guess I hit a nerve.

Other's have pointed out the advertising factor as well, and it is advertising. But - I think the subject deserves to cross the line this once as it's an initial attempt to solicit recommendations from the community. The show will sink or swim based on who lives in the area. Can't imagine anyone trailering down from any distance. To make the best go of it Sadie asked for input and tried to guage interest. It's a one-time thing, then we'll be back to non-business as usual! Things did get a little testy but they quickly smoothed out, you have to give posters props for that :howdy:

CaliGirl

Thank you for adding that Fredsaid2. Your clarification on the matter makes sense. I used to mod for a different forum a while back and there were specific rules we had to follow. I guess I assumed that they were universal. TTFN

SouthernMdRocks

CaliGirl said:

You are ok with stating your opinion, but go back and re-read your comment...telling other posters that they have little sense... not very diplomatic of you. Things finally settled down and you were :elaine: .

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
SouthernMdRocks said:
You are ok with stating your opinion, but go back and re-read your comment...telling other posters that they have little sense... not very diplomatic of you. Things finally settled down and you were :elaine: .

:yeahthat: