Question from my Co-worker

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
As most of you know, co-worker bought a horse recently. She asked me to post two questions:

1. Her horse is sweating a lot. Why and is this normal?

2. She bought a new saddle, but it around. It has nylon straps. Think the straps need to be replaced?

DQ2B

BS Gal said:
As most of you know, co-worker bought a horse recently. She asked me to post two questions:

Need more info. Does she mean when she rides the horse or when it's just milling about in the pasture? Is the horse overweight? When exactly is the horse sweating and where on it's body? All over or just specific areas? Is it constant or does it subside as the temperature drops evenings/early morning? Has she taken the horse's temperature?

2. She bought a new saddle, but it around. It has nylon straps. Think the straps need to be replaced? What?[/QUOTE

MMDad

Lem Putt
BS Gal said:

2. She bought a new saddle, but it around. It has nylon straps. Think the straps need to be replaced?
Why would somebody who knows nothing about horse buy a horse? You need to give her a :smack:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
DQ2B said:
BS Gal said:

Need more info. Does she mean when she rides the horse or when it's just milling about in the pasture? Is the horse overweight? When exactly is the horse sweating and where on it's body? All over or just specific areas? Is it constant or does it subside as the temperature drops evenings/early morning? Has she taken the horse's temperature?

Just milling about, not when being rode. The horse is not overweight. It's sweating all over. It was sweating mid-day. She hasn't taken it's temp.

2. She bought a new saddle, but it around. It has nylon straps. Think the straps need to be replaced? What?[/QUOTE

Oh, sorry, it SLIDES around.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
MMDad said:
Why would somebody who knows nothing about horse buy a horse? You need to give her a :smack:
She's got the money, got the land and has wanted one since she was a little girl.
You gotta start somewhere. :shrug:

...but I think I'd start off with riding lessons if I didn't know how to cinch up a saddle :lol:

fredsaid2

BS Gal said:

Has he shed out completely? Is the coat slick or does some winter hair remain?

See if she can find someone to come out and help her evaluate the saddle fit. It's an important aspect and needs to be correct for the comfort and health of the horse. Unfortunately, one size doesn't fit all :smile:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
MMDad said:
She had horses when she was younger.....I just shook my head when she said she was buying one. I told her to get it vet checked before she bought it. Did she listen to me???????? Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
fredsaid2 said:
Has he shed out completely? Is the coat slick or does some winter hair remain?

No winter hair remains. The coat is slick.

See if she can find someone to come out and help her evaluate the saddle fit. It's an important aspect and needs to be correct for the comfort and health of the horse. Unfortunately, one size doesn't fit all :smile:

She seems to think the saddle pad and the nylon straps have something to do with it. Hell, I told her to just ride bareback.

fredsaid2

BS Gal said:
She seems to think the saddle pad and the nylon straps have something to do with it. Hell, I told her to just ride bareback.

If it's sliding around the tree could be too wide. Is it a western saddle? Paso will be a good person to give advice if it is.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
fredsaid2 said:
If it's sliding around the tree could be too wide. Is it a western saddle? Paso will be a good person to give advice if it is.
It's a western saddle and she said the horse has a small build. I am thinking that horse is just bloating up on her when she puts it on, but she says that isn't the case.

devinej

About the sweating - its been hot, my one of my horse sweats just standing in the field, the other one doesn't, just depends on the horse. Tell her to just make sure there is shade and water available all the time and she might think of adding an electrolyte supplement to the horse's food or at least a salt block in the field.

About the saddle - sounds like it doesn't fit properly, tell her to get someone who knows about saddle fitting to come out and take a look at it.

S

saddlesore

BS Gal said:
She had horses when she was younger.....I just shook my head when she said she was buying one. I told her to get it vet checked before she bought it. Did she listen to me???????? Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

Sheesh, poor horse. Is it an older horse? They are usually slower to shed out. Otherwise, ditto everything DQ2B said.

She should sign up for riding/horse husbandry lessons from a competent trainer. Said trainer should come to her place to assess the horse's living conditions, make sure it's safe. Then she should have the vet out to review feed, worming, etc. And please tell me that she has a farrier!

S

saddlesore

Oh- and the trainer could evaluate saddle fit and what type of pad would work best. What possesses people to think that they can use any old saddle on a horse???
I pity the poor horse!

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Was it kept in stalls then recently put out into a pasture? Light schedule will impact the horses coat so it very well could have a full winter coat. At least this is what I have dealt with before. I had to install a timer in a stall to get the horse back on schedule with the area and it not being stall kept. Came from Findley U from training

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
fredsaid2 said:

None of mine have been sweating in the fields yet this year..she probably got an old horse with cushions

On the saddle..how the hell do we answer a question like that...we need PICS PICS and more PICS or need to at least know what kind of tack/pad etc she is really using..

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
saddlesore said:
Sheesh, poor horse. Is it an older horse? They are usually slower to shed out. Otherwise, ditto everything DQ2B said.

She should sign up for riding/horse husbandry lessons from a competent trainer. Said trainer should come to her place to assess the horse's living conditions, make sure it's safe. Then she should have the vet out to review feed, worming, etc. And please tell me that she has a farrier!
:shrug:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
saddlesore said:
Oh- and the trainer could evaluate saddle fit and what type of pad would work best. What possesses people to think that they can use any old saddle on a horse???
I pity the poor horse!

She's got a few people that are e-mailing her. I have no dog in this fight, except to ask questions for her.