questions about cuts and scrapes

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Hey can Anyone tell me if these marks look like hoofs, teeth or is there something in the field I should be looking for that did this to my baby ??

picture #1 is part of picture 3 all on his right side, Picture 2 is near the base of his tail.

Picture #4 is on his flank towards his under belly, picture # 5 is his opposite leg (left) on the inside..

I am not that familiar with the different cuts and what they are from ..

I cleaned them all with Saline solution and put an antibiotic on them , Should I put some fur-all or blue coat on them tomorrow or clean them again and use the antibiotic cream again ???

Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks TC

Attachments

• rockycut1.jpg
    rockycut1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 103
  • rockycut2.jpg
    rockycut2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 107
  • rockycut3.jpg
    rockycut3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 113
  • rockycut4.jpg
    rockycut4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 97
  • rockycut5jpg.jpg
    rockycut5jpg.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 95

Loper

Animal Poor!
TotalControl said:
Hey can Anyone tell me if these marks look like hoofs, teeth or is there something in the field I should be looking for that did this to my baby ??

picture #1 is part of picture 3 all on his right side, Picture 2 is near the base of his tail.

Picture #4 is on his flank towards his under belly, picture # 5 is his opposite leg (left) on the inside..

I cleaned them all with Saline solution and put an antibiotic on them , Should I put some fur-all or blue coat on them tomorrow or clean them again and use the antibiotic cream again ???

WOW did pics 1 3 4 and 5 happen all in the same day? Pic 2 looks like an old wound. Is he with another horse? What type of pasture fencing? This is all on the same horse? More Info Please!

M

Mousebaby

OMG!!! That looks horrible! That poor horse! Those look like cuts to me, maybe like wire did it. :shrug: I don't know. I wish I could help. Good Luck! :huggy:

Loper

Animal Poor!
Mousebaby said:
OMG!!! That looks horrible! That poor horse! Those look like cuts to me, maybe like wire did it. :shrug: I don't know. I wish I could help. Good Luck! :huggy:

Pic 4 Definitely does not look like wire.. It looks like something attacked the horse to me.

Loper

Animal Poor!
TotalControl said:

Here's a pic of a 17+ hh 2000 lbs Percheron kick on a smaller mare that had a serious thud from his hoof hitting her. Not even close to the damage in these pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0944DP.jpg
    IMG_0944DP.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 109
M

Mousebaby

Loper said:
Pic 4 Definitely does not look like wire.. It looks like something attacked the horse to me.

Yeah, I have no idea, I just love horses and I saw that, that is just horrible! :bawl: That poor horse. I would be watching the fields for something. Even if it is another horse you should be aware of what is going on out there. I just hope he/she's ok. :flowers:

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Loper said:

Yes all even picture 2 was fresh today when I went to see him , they were still bleeding.. He is with other horses and the fence is wood no wires anywhere..Picture 5 has like a slice near the bottom of it..

Did I do the right thing and what should I do tomorrow ?? He is in a stall tonight and I gave him a BUTE I am sure he was hurting his leg looked swollen..I hope I can ride him Sunday but we will see.

Loper

Animal Poor!
TotalControl said:
Yes all even picture 2 was fresh today when I went to see him , they were still bleeding.. He is with other horses and the fence is wood no wires anywhere..Picture 5 has like a slice near the bottom of it..

Did I do the right thing and what should I do tomorrow ?? He is in a stall tonight and I gave him a BUTE I am sure he was hurting his leg looked swollen..I hope I can ride him Sunday but we will see.

Hello look for something! Or something attacked him! Please do not ride him on Sunday. Those are some major wounds. Call your vet please.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Loper said:
Hello look for something! Or something attacked him! Please do not ride him on Sunday. Those are some major wounds. Call your vet please.

HMM after reviewing the pics, I don't believe they are all from the same horse. :whistle: Shame on me... for falling for it.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Loper said:
HMM after reviewing the pics, I don't believe they are all from the same horse. :whistle: Shame on me... for falling for it.

If not please show me pictures of the whole horse in question and his wounds.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Loper said:
If not please show me pictures of the whole horse in question and his wounds.

yes these are all on the same horse (no joke) it is my horse .. The cuts are not all deep so there is no reason to call the vet ..I was just wondering if there was anything else I should do besides clean them and put antibiotic on them...

I will get a whole picture of him tomorrow he is not in my back yard...

Robin

TC those look very familiar:
I just went through with something like this 2 weeks ago. One of our younger horses (gelding) 3yr old, that has been in the pasture with others decided it was time for him to move up on the pecking order of the herd. He really nailed repeatedly on the hock of my small TB mare that in October is going to Penn State to learn to become a polo-cross pony. She had kick marks on the rump 2 deep ones on the stifle, and 2 horrible blows to the hock cap, Talk about swelling, Bute twice a day, Cool Hosing for 20-30 mins multiple times a day. MSM in the feed and Furizone ointment on the wounds. She still favors but the swelling has gone down. We separated my mare in a small paddock for now and wont be putting them together again. The have been together for 3 years and have gotten along all this time. The funny thing is they still sort of hang together through fences, I believe it was a play time that got into a heated pizzing match. He Has a little mark on him.
It could be your horses are now selltling in at the new farm and decided they wanted some herd changes. Just keep an eye on it. See if one of the others horses has a good nick on them, Could perhaps be the one that was the kicker.

Cowgirl

mingiz said:
I agree with Robin looks like typical horse kicks and or bites...Just keep them clean.

:yeahthat: I would be cleaning them 2X a day and putting some kind of antibiotic ointment or spray on them. You might also want to put something on them to keep the flies away.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Yes because of where they are on the flank/hip area and shoulder..kicks..that one would look alot nicer sewed up...the Walker went through my gate and got one like that on his chest I sewed it up and it healed in a matter of days and left no scar..left open like that in the summer it will look nasty..look into having it stitched..

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Pasofever said:
Yes because of where they are on the flank/hip area and shoulder..kicks..that one would look a lot nicer sewed up...the Walker went through my gate and got one like that on his chest I sewed it up and it healed in a matter of days and left no scar..left open like that in the summer it will look nasty..look into having it stitched..

The ones on his out side leg are not that bad . The one on his flank there is nothing to sew it is just a wound no skin to sew . the one under the other leg is the worst but should heal up OK .. I am just glad I don't show him that would S...CK ..But every time I go to ride him It seems I am treating his wounds in stead of riding him .. the last time (Something Happened) he had a hematoma and the vet drained it and he was in a stall for 3 weeks NO RIDING..

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
TotalControl said:
The ones on his out side leg are not that bad . The one on his flank there is nothing to sew it is just a wound no skin to sew . the one under the other leg is the worst but should heal up OK .. I am just glad I don't show him that would S...CK ..But every time I go to ride him It seems I am treating his wounds in stead of riding him .. the last time (Something Happened) he had a hematoma and the vet drained it and he was in a stall for 3 weeks NO RIDING..

Why do you ask opinions and then not listen? Cough up the $50 for the farm call and since you think there is obviously nothing the vet can do that it's.

Also for any swollen or with heat you can and should cold hose approx. 20minutes at a time. And don't ride this horse on Sunday.

S

saddlesore

Phyxius said:
Why do you ask opinions and then not listen? Cough up the $50 for the farm call and since you think there is obviously nothing the vet can do that it's.

Also for any swollen or with heat you can and should cold hose approx. 20minutes at a time. And don't ride this horse on Sunday.

:yeahthat: Ditto exactly what Phyx said. Since even my positive and helpful posts seem to generate red, I'll just be blunt here and let it all out. (Hey, this is kind of liberating)! I am simply amazed to hear you whining about wanting to ride this horse on Sunday -that's tomorrow!- whilst your horse is beat up. Shame on you!! Isn't one of the wounds on the leg? You want to be careful with wounds there, particularly the lower leg. If a wound can be sutured, it's usually better to do so. Go back and read Paso's post about suturing the wound on her horse.

Cough up the money and call the vet fer chrissakes. In the meantime, cold hose to keep the swelling down, keep the wound clean, and protect from flies & dirt. And start putting your horse first, rather than yourself. Your horse looks to you for its well being. And don't even think about riding tomorrow.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
TotalControl said:

Hi TC,
Well I could understand not calling the vet for 4 out of 5 of those pics, and just treating them at home if you have the knowledge to treat them correctly yourself. HOWEVER, the one that really concerns me is the middle pic. It looks like this horse took a direct hit by another horse shod in the hind feet. You only have so much time for a cut to be sutured, so don't procrastinate in calling the vet. 2 days after the fact can lend your horse on antibiotics, with a nasty scar, and having a hard time closing. NOt to mention the flies this time of year. The rest of the injuries could be bites, kicks, and perhaps him crashing into fences trying to escape another horse. I would also reconsider his turn out companions. Please get the vet out asap, in cases like this you either pay now, or pay later....and later is usually more expensive.