questions about cuts and scrapes

S

saddlesore

appendixqh said:
Hi TC,
You only have so much time for a cut to be sutured, so don't procrastinate in calling the vet. 2 days after the fact can lend your horse on antibiotics, with a nasty scar, and having a hard time closing. NOt to mention the flies this time of year. The rest of the injuries could be bites, kicks, and perhaps him crashing into fences trying to escape another horse. I would also reconsider his turn out companions. Please get the vet out asap, in cases like this you either pay now, or pay later....and later is usually more expensive.

ALL true!! Take this advice Rocky, please.

fredsaid2

Cowgirl said:
Then good grief, get him some new fieldmates.

If she's boarding that may be easier said than done. If he's low man in the pecking order TC, and the barn owner is amenable, you may look into fencing off a paddock for him w/ step in posts and electric fencing w/ a solar charger.

I'm sure he'll be doing much better soon. Hope all goes well!

M

Mousebaby

fredsaid2 said:
If she's boarding that may be easier said than done. If he's low man in the pecking order TC, and the barn owner is amenable, you may look into fencing off a paddock for him w/ step in posts and electric fencing w/ a solar charger.

Sister seems to think someone my have used a crop and spurs on him. :shrug: She knows way more about horses then I do.

Ooops, that's before I told her the wounds were on his stifle and not his flank. Now she has no idea, maybe a big cat got him. :shrug:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Mousebaby said:
Sister seems to think someone my have used a crop and spurs on him. :shrug: She knows way more about horses then I do.

Ooops, that's before I told her the wounds were on his stifle and not his flank. Now she has no idea, maybe a big cat got him. :shrug:

You might want to delete this..makes someone look really DUMB :whistle:

:huggy:

M

Mousebaby

Pasofever said:
You might want to delete this..makes someone look really DUMB :whistle:

:huggy:

Maybe she is, I don't know. She claims to know everything. :lmao:

Cowgirl

fredsaid2 said:

If she's boarding and they have no other paddock to put him in, then I would board him somewhere else. It only takes 1 bad kick to seriously injure him. After all...she said she feels like all she's doing is treating wounds. :shrug: I feel it's not fair to him to be constantly beat up.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
! I am simply amazed to hear you whining about wanting to ride this horse on Sunday -that's tomorrow!- whilst your horse is beat up. Shame on you!! Isn't one of the wounds on the leg? You want to be careful with wounds there, particularly the lower leg. If a wound can be sutured, it's usually better to do so. Go back and read Paso's post about suturing the wound on her horse.

First of all the cut can not be sutured .. It is just a patch wound no skin to suture ... Second I Called my vet (who by the way charges 85.00 for a farm call) She said keep it clean and keep putting the antibiotics on them . (the antibiotic cream is from my friends horse who gashed her jaw open on a fence) anyway the vet did not suture her but there is no scaring she cleaned it with saline mix with an antibiotic and the cream ... I will use that tonight..
As far as riding him I was hoping I already told my daughter I WOULD NOT BE RIDING HIM ... I am not stupid I know he hurts and believe me I would not let anything happen to him . He is my dad's last gift to me he gave me before he died and he is named after my dad.. His nick name was ROCKY ...So all I was doing was asking for help to make sure I did the right thing .Cold water, saline solution , and antibiotic, bute . Yes I board and my barn manager is trying to fit horses that match , I know when they first go in there are going to be kick mark (hair missing ) but not that bad...

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I really do think the skin can be pulled over that one and it would heal alot better..even a gash with missing skin can be sewn..skin streatches..he will probably heal fine left open..just take longer and not look as nice...I like to sew any of mine up that can because it is so much neater looking..but I on the other hand on a simple suture would do it myself...You probably would have a $300 vet bill if the vet sewed it.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Cowgirl said:
If she's boarding and they have no other paddock to put him in, then I would board him somewhere else. It only takes 1 bad kick to seriously injure him. After all...she said she feels like all she's doing is treating wounds. :shrug: I feel it's not fair to him to be constantly beat up.

I love where I board .. My barn manager (and friend) is trying to fit horses together to see if they match obviously these 3 don't .. or at least one of them ..
He is in a stall right know and loves it he has his own fan, hay, water, he loves being in a stall .. He is not like some that climb the walls . My friend will be back soon I will talk to her then , she is very understanding and does a good job taking care of the horses..

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Pasofever said:
I really do think the skin can be pulled over that one and it would heal alot better..even a gash with missing skin can be sewn..skin streatches..he will probably heal fine left open..just take longer and not look as nice...I like to sew any of mine up that can because it is so much neater looking..but I on the other hand on a simple suture would do it myself...You probably would have a $300 vet bill if the vet sewed it.

I know just with the vet coming down and splitting the farm call for his hematoma , she drained gave him three shots and it cost over 100.00 I can imagine if we did not split it about 150.-200. I was shocked.

I want to know what vet charges $50.00 for a farm call !!!!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
TotalControl said:
I know just with the vet coming down and splitting the farm call for his hematoma , she drained gave him three shots and it cost over 100.00 I can imagine if we did not split it about 150.-200. I was shocked.

I want to know what vet charges $50.00 for a farm call !!!!

When we had a storm Jr got his lip caught on a chain and I had the vet sew him up as it was his lip and I did not feel comfortable doing it..plus a baby is hard to sew up unless they have some good juice in them...he hooked the hook threw his lip like a damn fish being caught..anyway it was $300 and he took the stitches out the next day..

Same storm Star cut her hip like your boy open would be fine just take awhile to heal..I stitched it up myself as it was a straight wound not a hole...

I just like the look of a stitched wound as it is neater and you dont see meat...

those back legs will heal fast and be fine..

Good luck...

You could try to tape it together for a few days too...or super glue it.. :lmao:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
TotalControl said:
I love where I board .. My barn manager (and friend) is trying to fit horses together to see if they match obviously these 3 don't .. or at least one of them ..
He is in a stall right know and loves it he has his own fan, hay, water, he loves being in a stall .. He is not like some that climb the walls . My friend will be back soon I will talk to her then , she is very understanding and does a good job taking care of the horses..

Hi TC,
Well, I hope everything ends up all right. But one thing I would like to throw out there (JMO) is that when horses are put together in groups for the first time, it is usually wise to make sure none of them are wearing back shoes. I learned this the hard way when I was working as a groom for this polo guy, he put his beautiful filly "Vanity" out with the rest of the horses, and another mare got tired of Vanities crap after, oh, 10 minutes, and put a slice on her that looked like your picture 3. It was a bizarre stich job which couldn't close the skin, but pulled together some of the deeper layers. That horse was on pennicillin twice a day. So I have since tried to make sure that the horses on group turnout don't have back shoes until everyone is good and friendly. IF you can't take off back shoes, you can try Boa Boots over the hind feet for a couple of days so if one does kick, it won't cut like a shoe does. Again, I am a "to each their own" type person, so that is JMO. Good luck and let us know how he heals.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Pasofever said:

Good luck...

You could try to tape it together for a few days too...or super glue it.. :lmao:

Thanks Paso The tape might be a good idea like a butterfly stitch have to check it out..As far as shoes I don't THINK anyone on the farm has back shoes but I will check I know for sure one he was in with does not .. not sure of the other one ...

M

Mousebaby

TotalControl said:
Thanks Paso The tape might be a good idea like a butterfly stitch have to check it out..As far as shoes I don't THINK anyone on the farm has back shoes but I will check I know for sure one he was in with does not .. not sure of the other one ...

Um, if you superglue it you better move away quick cause that sh!t burns! :jameo:

Loper

Animal Poor!
TotalControl said:
! I am simply amazed to hear you whining about wanting to ride this horse on Sunday -that's tomorrow!- whilst your horse is beat up. Shame on you!! Isn't one of the wounds on the leg? You want to be careful with wounds there, particularly the lower leg. If a wound can be sutured, it's usually better to do so. Go back and read Paso's post about suturing the wound on her horse.

First of all the cut can not be sutured .. It is just a patch wound no skin to suture ... Second I Called my vet (who by the way charges 85.00 for a farm call) She said keep it clean and keep putting the antibiotics on them . (the antibiotic cream is from my friends horse who gashed her jaw open on a fence) anyway the vet did not suture her but there is no scaring she cleaned it with saline mix with an antibiotic and the cream ... I will use that tonight..
As far as riding him I was hoping I already told my daughter I WOULD NOT BE RIDING HIM ... I am not stupid I know he hurts and believe me I would not let anything happen to him . He is my dad's last gift to me he gave me before he died and he is named after my dad.. His nick name was ROCKY ...So all I was doing was asking for help to make sure I did the right thing .Cold water, saline solution , and antibiotic, bute . Yes I board and my barn manager is trying to fit horses that match , I know when they first go in there are going to be kick mark (hair missing ) but not that bad...

Hi TC,
Unlike everyone else, I have never seen wounds like that inflicted by another horse. I've got several randy young horses and they play and kick each other but nothing like the pictures you posted. They usually are only missing hair. So I apologize for disbelieving. All mine are barefoot and just don't seem to cause that much damage. I do have to say I agree with others posted so far that if other horses caused this, you need to move him. Poor guy, he's getting the crap beat out of him.

Cowgirl

Hey PHYX---

Remember Bill from campus? That grumpy old man would not get along with anyone, so he was by himself. He inflicted some damage on poor Heidi when we first tried them together.

I remember introducing two horses (can't remember exactly...but I'm thinking it was Ought Not and someone else).....we put heavy blankets on all the horses and wrapped all their legs!! :lmao: It worked though....

S

saddlesore

TotalControl said:

My apologies. I read the wrong tone in your original post. I didn't realize you were already flushing w/ a saline solutions and using the antibiotic cream, as per your vet's advice. It sounded like you were complaining about not being able to ride, as if your horse's injuries were an inconvenience to you. Again, I read that wrong - I am sorry.

I'm assuming your barn mgr tried introducing Rocky to the herd w/ just one horse at a time?? Starting with the lowest in the hierarchy first, then adding the next horse, etc.?

I confess I've never thought about blanketing and wrapping as a form of padding to avoid injury. But I like it!!

TC, I hope Rocky heals quickly and the BM can sort out the herd dynamics.