questions about cuts and scrapes

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Hello guys, I am the barn manager and have been out of town for the last week on vacation.

These are not new horses to Rocky...the 3yo mare in question that showed her a$$ to Rocky has been his pasture mate for 6 months now. Rocky is an wonderful gelding he came here 6 months ago very low and has worked his way up the food chain. I have had to remove the weaker from his pasture due to assertive behavior on his part. Apparently this filly is not allowing him to rise above her. This is the part of the care of the horse that is the most unsettling. As you all know horses are like children , they have to test eachother and over time challenge eachother for status in a herd.

Not only when a new horse arrives here I 1) quarenteen for 2-4 weeks (depending on horses recent housing history)
2) Pasture them alone with fenceline contact.
3) Allow for 1 pasture mate at a time. This can be a very timely process (days to weeks depending on which pasture group they fit in with.)
We have all wood fencing and several paddocks and pastures.

And, as we all know the dynamics of a herd (3 or more) can change even after months of introducing a new horse. It just has to happen when your at the beach with the hubby and kids. I just hate that!! TC is a sweety and she could of called me and SHOULD HAVE, but if you can believe this she didnt want to worry me on my vacation. She has a heart the size of texas.

The wounds look nothing like the pics when I saw him today. Maybe TC could post new pics. He is healing very well.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
TotalControl said:
Yes all even picture 2 was fresh today when I went to see him , they were still bleeding.. He is with other horses and the fence is wood no wires anywhere..Picture 5 has like a slice near the bottom of it..

Did I do the right thing and what should I do tomorrow ?? He is in a stall tonight and I gave him a BUTE I am sure he was hurting his leg looked swollen..I hope I can ride him Sunday but we will see.

I would give him the bute, clean them up and used some cut n heal or there is some spray called banex that does great with healing. Are there any gates opened to allow them to go into other paddocks? I had a gate opened to a sep paddock and it had one of those easy close gate latches, one horse running through it caught her hip and sliced it open, looked like pix 1 but deeper. Look for nail sticking out as well. :howdy:

S

saddlesore

persimmoncf said:
Hello guys, I am the barn manager and have been out of town for the last week on vacation.

These are not new horses to Rocky...the 3yo mare in question that showed her a$$ to Rocky has been his pasture mate for 6 months now. Rocky is an wonderful gelding he came here 6 months ago very low and has worked his way up the food chain. I have had to remove the weaker from his pasture due to assertive behavior on his part. Apparently this filly is not allowing him to rise above her. This is the part of the care of the horse that is the most unsettling. As you all know horses are like children , they have to test eachother and over time challenge eachother for status in a herd.

Not only when a new horse arrives here I 1) quarenteen for 2-4 weeks (depending on horses recent housing history)
2) Pasture them alone with fenceline contact.
3) Allow for 1 pasture mate at a time. This can be a very timely process (days to weeks depending on which pasture group they fit in with.)
We have all wood fencing and several paddocks and pastures.

And, as we all know the dynamics of a herd (3 or more) can change even after months of introducing a new horse. It just has to happen when your at the beach with the hubby and kids. I just hate that!! TC is a sweety and she could of called me and SHOULD HAVE, but if you can believe this she didnt want to worry me on my vacation. She has a heart the size of texas.

The wounds look nothing like the pics when I saw him today. Maybe TC could post new pics. He is healing very well.

Welcome back! :howdy: Hope you had a fun vacation. That's always when **** happens, eh? Sounds like you followed the book -so to speak- in introducing Rocky to the herd, but you're right in that even after 3 months the pecking order can be challenged and changed.

Glad to hear the wounds are healing! :yay:

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Maybe TC could post new pics. He is healing very well.[/QUOTE]

ok Rocky's boo boo's are healing up :yay: Will get pictures . my barn manager is back and she cleans them and treats them in the AM and I try to get there in the PM but if I can't she does it for me.....We moved some out of were he is and put him with another mare (which as of today still loved each other) we'll just have to wait and see what side of the corral either of them wake up on :lmao:

TC

P.S thanks for all of the advice after some of you finished :smack: BASHING ME :razz: :lmao: I guess it's a good thing One of us has thick skin :killingme

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Cowgirl said:
Hey PHYX---

Remember Bill from campus? That grumpy old man would not get along with anyone, so he was by himself. He inflicted some damage on poor Heidi when we first tried them together.

I remember introducing two horses (can't remember exactly...but I'm thinking it was Ought Not and someone else).....we put heavy blankets on all the horses and wrapped all their legs!! :lmao: It worked though....

;) Campus did quite a few things backwards. :lmao: Here's a hint for introducing new horses...
give them some sniff-each-other time OVER the fence before you put them in the same field. Then, make sure there is plenty of hay in MULTIPLE piles before turning out. Put the new horse in the field FIRST. Then bring the horse that "owns" the field out there.

There will still be issues for sure, but psychologically this is the "better" way. They can meet over the fence and get all the squeals out.
They're eating, so are otherwise occupied.
The new horse isn't "invading my space", it's a curious object that someone placed in your field while you weren't there.

I'd also suggest not waiting until 11:30 at night, like when I got my new mare from Canada. That was a fun turn out and make sure they don't kill each other day. :lmao:

Good news though, I think I found a saddle for the new girl. If I did you're welcome to ride Ruby when we go on a trail ride. But, since I sold my western saddle I only have her english one to offer you. It's a Bates Caprilli though, a lot like a leather version of the saddles UMEC used.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Phyxius said:
hahaha, http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread14721/pg1

:yeahthat: ok

Here are some pictures of rocky and star (his new girl Friend) they were sharing treats together and no one had a attitude plus his boo Bo's they are now peeling scabs and falling off except for the one on his under flank it is still open a little it should be healed by this weekend...

See the picture of the WHOLE HORSE :lmao: (except his head it would not fit in the picture on my phone)..

Attachments

• rocky.jpg
    rocky.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Rockyboboonleg.jpg
    Rockyboboonleg.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Rockybody.jpg
    Rockybody.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 53
  • rocky~N~star.jpg
    rocky~N~star.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 23
  • rocky~N~star2.jpg
    rocky~N~star2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 29

Loper

Animal Poor!
TotalControl said:
Phyxius said:
hahaha, http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread14721/pg1

:yeahthat: ok

Here are some pictures of rocky and star (his new girl Friend) they were sharing treats together and no one had a attitude plus his boo Bo's they are now peeling scabs and falling off except for the one on his under flank it is still open a little it should be healed by this weekend...

See the picture of the WHOLE HORSE :lmao: (except his head it would not fit in the picture on my phone)..

I think I was the one to ask for a pic of the whole horse cause I didn't think ALL the wounds were on the same horse... :love: that was before I was educated in horse wounds. Again, I have never seen those types of wounds inflicted by another horse. I guess I'm just lucky! :howdy:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Loper said:
I think I was the one to ask for a pic of the whole horse cause I didn't think ALL the wounds were on the same horse... :love: that was before I was educated in horse wounds. Again, I have never seen those types of wounds inflicted by another horse. I guess I'm just lucky! :howdy:

Haha, that's okay 'cause the one with the whole horse, minus the head isn't the one with the wounds anyway. :lmao: :lmao:

Oh, Total Control, I'm sure you already know, but just incase...when you're ready to get some hair growing back MTG is great! Messy and greasy, but it gets that hair growing back in no time. :yay:

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Loper said:
TotalControl said:
I think I was the one to ask for a pic of the whole horse cause I didn't think ALL the wounds were on the same horse...

that's OK I was just adding that :poke: :razz: :poke: :neener: to this other one I posted :razz

""thanks for all of the advice after some of you finished BASHING ME I guess it's a good thing One of us has thick skin ""

:huggy: :huggy: :huggy: :huggy: :huggy: TC

Attachments

• rocythroughthefence.jpg
    rocythroughthefence.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 49

Loper

Animal Poor!
Phyxius said:
Haha, that's okay 'cause the one with the whole horse, minus the head isn't the one with the wounds anyway. :lmao: :lmao:

Oh, Total Control, I'm sure you already know, but just incase...when you're ready to get some hair growing back MTG is great! Messy and greasy, but it gets that hair growing back in no time. :yay:

:smack: again apparently I'm not paying attention... I've got two forums to look at and a sick puppy... and not to mention SUCKY pics from Sunday :whistle: ... so please have a little heart... :jameo: :killingme

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Phyxius said:

Yes the horse in the picture minus the head is the one with the wounds that is my paint Ask percy, Goldenhorse, happy, horsesrock, paso, (I think she has seen my new guy) and most of the peeps of SMTR .. He is real ..

OK What is MTG ?? :popcorn:

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Loper said:
:smack: again apparently I'm not paying attention... I've got two forums to look at and a sick puppy... and not to mention SUCKY pics from Sunday :whistle: ... so please have a little heart... :jameo: :killingme

Loper seriously it IS THE SAME HORSE ... :jameo: I am in NO WAY trying to play with your mind .... :huggy: :huggy: TC

Loper

Animal Poor!
TotalControl said:
Loper seriously it IS THE SAME HORSE ... :jameo: I am in NO WAY trying to play with your mind .... :huggy: :huggy: TC

:lmao: I have no doubt ... and I'm sorry for doubting you in the beginning...

S

saddlesore

yes, MTG is great stuff, but OMG - it smells rancid! Like old bacon grease- eeeuuuwwwwwww. And tough to get the residue off your hands. I've started wearing a glove to apply it, wimp that I am.