Racism at Target

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Yes you should have bought them! I have tried samples of that curl creme they had and liked it. The only reason I don't use it now, is because I am using another product line I love. One n only Moroccan argan oil from Sally's beauty. (Love the curl cream) I have really curly, thick hair.

I'm so nervous about any products containing the word "oil". I need something to tame the frizz some and help define the curls a little more. But at the same time, not grease up the front of my hair which is susceptable to looking a little greasy if I accidently get any product near my bangs. My hair stylist has me on some redkin curl creme...it's ok :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But at the same time, not grease up the front of my hair which is susceptable to looking a little greasy if I accidently get any product near my bangs.

Same here, I just don't put it on my bangs. I spray the argon oil on my hair when it's still damp, then blowdry as usual. Shiny!

MarieB

Couple months ago, Target had some display on an end-cap in the beauty aisles...got all excited bc it was for all kinds of hair products for curly thick hair! Gorgeous curls! Tame that mane! Thick hair with waves! :yahoo: The girl in the poster had beautiful long, silky curls so my crazy-haired head skipped right on over and started exploring all these cool new options! (pretty advertising gets me every time!) Good thing I actually started reading the backs of all these products: they were all for "girls of ethnicity" :mad:

I'm not ethnic :frown: I felt like I couldn't use these products now :shrug: I take a closer look at the girl in the poster and realize she's an incredibly light-skinned "ethnic" girl (don't ask me what ethnicity). Now, I'm whiter than paper, and although my bubble-butt and wild hair has had me confused for "mixed" before, I can assure you...I am a sheltered little white girl from Connecticut.

Should I have just bought the product and seen what would have happened? More importantly, am I ALLOWED to buy it? I felt like putting the products back was a good choice bc when I went to all the check-out lines, all the cashiers were "ethnic" and I knew I'd be a part of some "crazy white girl" joke in the break-room soon enough.....:ohwell:

I'm still looking for products that actually work for my crazy hair :ohwell:

Amazon.com: MoroccanOil Intense Curl Cream,300ml Bottle: Beauty

You don't even have to style/dry your hair

lucky_bee

RBF expert

Thank you! :love:

Besides, Amazon, is there any local store that sells there by any chance? I guess I really need to try this stuff bc I've been told about it before. I try not to style my hair too much anyways bc 1. I'm lazy and 2. the more I touch it, the frizzier is gets and I'm barely good enough with a diffuser - sometimes that makes it worse.

mamaof1

I'm so nervous about any products containing the word "oil". I need something to tame the frizz some and help define the curls a little more. But at the same time, not grease up the front of my hair which is susceptable to looking a little greasy if I accidently get any product near my bangs. My hair stylist has me on some redkin curl creme...it's ok :ohwell:

The brand that was in target- I can't think of the name now, but you can order samples free from the company and try it.

You might be able to do the same from one n only too. I know they do sell a small bottle of the curl cream at Sally's. it isn't greasy at all and smells amazing. And it doesn't get all crunchy either like a lot of the other products.

One 'n Only - Argan Oil - One 'n Only Argan Oil Curl Cream 10 oz.

Last edited:

sm8

I use "ethnic" targeted hair care products on my whiter than white kids. They have very super fine dry hair that gets so nappy and tangled. I did get a comment once but it was more of concern that I was not aware what I was buying. It just happened to be on a bad hair day so I just pointed out the back of my kids head and the lady just smiled.

Couple months ago, Target had some display on an end-cap in the beauty aisles...got all excited bc it was for all kinds of hair products for curly thick hair! Gorgeous curls! Tame that mane! Thick hair with waves! :yahoo: The girl in the poster had beautiful long, silky curls so my crazy-haired head skipped right on over and started exploring all these cool new options! (pretty advertising gets me every time!) Good thing I actually started reading the backs of all these products: they were all for "girls of ethnicity" :mad:

I'm not ethnic :frown: I felt like I couldn't use these products now :shrug: I take a closer look at the girl in the poster and realize she's an incredibly light-skinned "ethnic" girl (don't ask me what ethnicity). Now, I'm whiter than paper, and although my bubble-butt and wild hair has had me confused for "mixed" before, I can assure you...I am a sheltered little white girl from Connecticut.

Should I have just bought the product and seen what would have happened? More importantly, am I ALLOWED to buy it? I felt like putting the products back was a good choice bc when I went to all the check-out lines, all the cashiers were "ethnic" and I knew I'd be a part of some "crazy white girl" joke in the break-room soon enough.....:ohwell:

I think you're talking about a line of products called "Mixed Chicks", it works great.......regardless of your ethnicity. Try it :yay:

MarieB

Thank you! :love:

Besides, Amazon, is there any local store that sells there by any chance? I guess I really need to try this stuff bc I've been told about it before. I try not to style my hair too much anyways bc 1. I'm lazy and 2. the more I touch it, the frizzier is gets and I'm barely good enough with a diffuser - sometimes that makes it worse.

A quick google turned this up
Styles by Ty LLC. - Independent Stylist Products in Lexington Park, MD

It will probably cost a lot more getting it this route

I don't even dry my hair when I use it. (But you can) My sister gave me some other stuff recently. It works, but iu have to dry your hair all the way or it gets crunchy. I have too much hair to get it all the way dry.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Go to Target and get the Argon oil/sea kelp/shea butter spray. Shea Moisture Reconstructive Finishing Elixer. Looks like this:

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Elixir - Free Shipping

I got several compliments on how great my hair looks today. It's in the black lady section. Excuse me, *aisle*.

Towel dry, then spray a few shots onto your hair (avoiding your bangs) and finger through to distribute. Blow dry and style like normal.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Go to Target and get the Argon oil/sea kelp/shea butter spray. Shea Moisture Reconstructive Finishing Elixer. Looks like this:

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Elixir - Free Shipping

I got several compliments on how great my hair looks today. It's in the black lady section. Excuse me, *aisle*.

Towel dry, then spray a few shots onto your hair (avoiding your bangs) and finger through to distribute. Blow dry and style like normal.

This tread makes me realize how many times I have looked at the ethnic aisle and been scared away because I didn't know if the products would work for me. I do not want oiled down hair. Loved the ingredient panel but do not have the hair type it was recommended for.
My hair is naturally very shiny and healthy (though I am in desperate need of my ends being trimmed) and would love it to be even shinier and more bouncy. For the record, I never blow dry or color and rarely use mousses (they tend to dry my hair out). I usually only wash my hair 2 to 3 times a week. I use conditioner every time but don't know what good it really does; other than making it easy to comb out when wet.
Going to have to make a trip down that aisle the next time I am shopping :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
FF, shiny and bouncy come from styling - almost nobody has it naturally. Blow dry your hair with a large round/oval/square brush. The key is to blow dry in sections all the way, not just partially, without over drying. This takes all the moisture out of your hair, makes the cuticle lie flat, and gives you shine and bounce.

6 Ways You're Blowdrying Your Hair Wrong

inkah

I have crazy wiry hair and I use the ethnic stuff. I just march my bold white ass up to the register and BUY THAT ####. oh yeah.

Go for it girlfriend. Go for it and be free. WOOT WOOT

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
:lol:

I bought a hair conditioner from that display that was too much for my white girl hair but it smelled wonderful. I gave it to a (white) friend with coarser hair and she loves it.

I don't know if they still make it but I used to use a deep conditioner called Queen Helene that was meant for black lady hair, but it was a fabulous frizz tamer as long as you rinsed really well.

Late to the thread I know. Sorry.. just jumping around the forum.

I had used Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning back in the day. It was great, put it on then wrap my hair in a strip of saran wrap like a turban. Body heat helped to give a fantastic deep conditioning. Very much needed for the uniperm I had back then. Still a good way to condition, no matter what conditioner you use.

:coffee: