Rate The Last Film You Watched

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We watched The Martian last night - 5 stars from me. Great plot, acting was on point, kept me interested til the end, which is almost never happens. Also they didn't take too many liberties with plausibility, which is what ruins most movies for me. NASA says yes, under those circumstances the steps Matt Damon takes to survive are entirely feasible. Their big quibble is the dust storm being all raging like that, but it added to the movie and drove the whole plot, so what the heck.

We watched The Martian last night - 5 stars from me. Great plot, acting was on point, kept me interested til the end, which is almost never happens. Also they didn't take too many liberties with plausibility, which is what ruins most movies for me. NASA says yes, under those circumstances the steps Matt Damon takes to survive are entirely feasible. Their big quibble is the dust storm being all raging like that, but it added to the movie and drove the whole plot, so what the heck.
I was very caught up in everything he did to survive, thought it very believable. It lost all credibility to me during the rescue and the one in a braillion chance of working. Same reason I disliked "Gravity". The physics of jumping between vehicles in space under those conditions ...... nah.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It lost all credibility to me during the rescue and the one in a braillion chance of working.

Not me - I wanted that happy Hollywood ending. I'd have been pissed if I watched that whole thing just to have him die at the end.

Welcome to Marwen
Taken from the true life experiences of an artist in upstate NY. Steve Carell was great for this role. Many films talk about PTSD and show someone having an episode, but this was probably the first time I actually got dragged into a PTSD experience along with the person having it. Can't help but empathize thru the whole movie for this guy.

It depressed me, but I did like the movie.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Watched 'Mary Poppins Returns' a couple of weeks ago with my sister. The best part of the movie was the end when Dick Van Dyke appeared. The rest of the movie was mediocre at best. :ohwell:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I watched 'Fighting With My Family' on the flight home. I was quite surprised that I enjoyed it so much. Definitely 4 out of 5.

Started to watch 'Holmes and Watson', but had to bail out after 10 minutes. The Ferrell/Reilly shtick is getting really old.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

:yay::yay: :yay:

It was really good!
Went last night with my friend who is a Tarantino fan. Neither of us was overly impressed with the story line, but the nostalgia factor was great. And of course, the graphic violence in the last 15 minutes - well, it was over the top. Pitt was good, DiCaprio really carried the movie. The scene at the Playboy Mansion was great, the Manson cult strange (but really made me think of how people could be convinced to do things they wouldn't normally), the music and the retro neon signs throughout well worth the ticket cost.

👍👍

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Went last night with my friend who is a Tarantino fan. Neither of us was overly impressed with the story line, but the nostalgia factor was great. And of course, the graphic violence in the last 15 minutes - well, it was over the top. Pitt was good, DiCaprio really carried the movie. The scene at the Playboy Mansion was great, the Manson cult strange (but really made me think of how people could be convinced to do things they wouldn't normally), the music and the retro neon signs throughout well worth the ticket cost.

👍👍
His temper tantrum was GREAT!!! :lmao:

And the flamethrower... :lol:

The nostalgia was awesome! I kept singing along, all by myself. :biggrin:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Saw "The Art of Racing in The Rain" yesterday. Life as seen through a dog's eyes and a good family-friendly flick. Some good laughs and a few tears shed as I am a big animal softy.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I kept trying to tell myself I wasn't going to cry but those big sad eyes did me in. :bawl:
MAYBE if it wasn't a Golden Retriever, but since I have/had Goldens... nope can't do it. I couldn't get my wife to see it anyway. She's worse than I am.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
MAYBE if it wasn't a Golden Retriever, but since I have/had Goldens... nope can't do it. I couldn't get my wife to see it anyway. She's worse than I am.
Then definitely not for either of you. I had a Golden mix for 14 years who was totally devoted to me and I still tear up when I think about her. My next one will be a purebred Golden as I just love the breed.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Watched 'Rocketman' last night and it was highly entertaining and an outrageous spectacle of goodness. It showcased the prodigious talent of Elton John, while exploring his battle with his personal demons and desperate hunger for love which led to broken relationships, addiction, and attempted suicide. As one critic so eloquently put it, it's a "musical extravaganza anchored less in the real world than in a sort of glittery jukebox Narnia." Highly recommend! 4 stars out of five.

Also watch the Tim Burton directed live action remake of Dumbo a few weeks ago. No magic other than the special effects. Skip this snoozefest. Two stars out of five.