Reality of Gun Ownership

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you define surrendering as the suspect putting their hands up so the victim can call the police, well that is certainly contradictory to killing a burgular.

Okay, so now not only is our original criminal a kid shoplifting from a candy store, but now he has surrendered instead of running away to find a different victim.

You're a defense lawyer, aren't you?

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Four rules of gun safety:

Treat every gun as if it is loaded

Do not touch the trigger until you are ready to fire

Do not aim at anything you do not intend to destroy

Be sure of what is behind your target
:lol:
I was being hypothetical :smack: Of course there is a risk of the loser getting killed :lmao:

The law allows one to use deadly force from an imminent threat of death or serious injury. You tell me, is someone running away an imminent threat of death or serious injury?

Shooting someone is considered using deadly force.

Well that's a shame.

smcop

Okay, so now not only is our original criminal a kid shoplifting from a candy store, but now he has surrendered instead of running away to find a different victim.

You're a defense lawyer, aren't you?

My position is pretty clear.

I don't think a person committing the crime of burglary should be killed.

I do think a homeowner has the right to defend themselves.

The only people who find those two positions different are those who want to think of different scenarios and add things to the mix.

The original article was misleading. The sponsor of the information has an agenda. In reading the news articles from the town in which the crime was committed, we got the other side of the story. That side is that one of the burgulars were shot while trying to climb out of a window, and the other was shot in the back while fleeing from the home, then later found dead on the property.

I have always said, a homeowner should do whatever it takes to protect themselves and their family.

I just don't think a person should be killed while running away from a non-violent crime.

You are entitled to my opinion as am I.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I was being hypothetical :smack: Of course there is a risk of the loser getting killed :lmao:

Not in Maryland there isn't; you can't shoot robbers in Maryland. It scares them therefore no shooting criminals in Maryland. Unless they are about to harm you. Which I find scary, so, it should be illegal for them to harm me.

Xaquin44

Not in Maryland there isn't; you can't shoot robbers in Maryland. It scares them therefore no shooting criminals in Maryland. Unless they are about to harm you. Which I find scary, so, it should be illegal for them to harm me.

You dare impugn the rights of criminals to rob you!?

SPELLING AMERICA WITH A 'K' ARE WE!?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

The only people who find those two positions different are those who want to think of different scenarios and add things to the mix.

The original article was misleading. The sponsor of the information has an agenda. In reading the news articles from the town in which the crime was committed, we got the other side of the story. That side is that one of the burgulars were shot while trying to climb out of a window, and the other was shot in the back while fleeing from the home, then later found dead on the property.

I have always said, a homeowner should do whatever it takes to protect themselves and their family.

I just don't think a person should be killed while running away from a non-violent crime.

You are entitled to my opinion as am I.

"I'll get you old man! Next time you won't have that gun, you mother####er, and we'll get you when you least expect it! You won't wake up ever again next time! You ain't ####. You're too scared to do anthing anyway, you chicken####mother####er! We'll get you! You just wait!"

Still feel the same way?

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Can I run them down with my vehicle? :shrug:
I don't want the slimy bastage getting away, so I want to know my rights before I try to take him down :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

You dare impugn the rights of criminals to rob you!?

SPELLING AMERICA WITH A 'K' ARE WE!?

...maybe you're right. Maybe it's not fair of me to impose my morals and values on them and not want to be robbed or attacked. I can be sooo insensitive to the needs of others...

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Can I run them down with my vehicle? :

No. Maryland has strict laws against parking and/or operating a vehicle inside the home. Unless, of course, you are a criminal or in the act of attempting a crime. Then, it's OK. You still can't shoot 'em, though, so, don't get any ideas. Unless you stop and search you're feelings and find that you feel threatened. Very threatened. Like scary death threatened in which case let them have the big screen and go back to bed. You don't need a big screen anyway when so many crooks don't have one. Or two. Or just want yours.

smcop

"I'll get you old man! Next time you won't have that gun, you mother####er, and we'll get you when you least expect it! You won't wake up ever again next time! You ain't ####. You're too scared to do anthing anyway, you chicken####mother####er! We'll get you! You just wait!"

Still feel the same way?

As I have said dozens of times, you can add many things to the mix. I am not engaging in this stupid hypothetical, nor am I going to offer my own.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

As I have said dozens of times, you can add many things to the mix. I am not engaging in this stupid hypothetical, nor am I going to offer my own.

...which is EXACTLY why it should be up tp the homeowner/victim as opposed to the criminal getting all these rules in THEIR favor.

:buddies:

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

No. Maryland has strict laws against parking and/or operating a vehicle inside the home. Unless, of course, you are a criminal or in the act of attempting a crime. Then, it's OK. You still can't shoot 'em, though, so, don't get any ideas. Unless you stop and search you're feelings and find that you feel threatened. Very threatened. Like scary death threatened in which case let them have the big screen and go back to bed. You don't need a big screen anyway when so many crooks don't have one. Or two. Or just want yours.

:pete:

This_person

And, what defensive actions do you feel the homeowner is allowed to take against this non-violent crime?

sweetprincess23

And, what defensive actions do you feel the homeowner is allowed to take against this non-violent crime?

I asked a similar question but got the run around, IMO.

As someone who has been in multiple violent situations in my home and felt my life was threatened on multiple occasions, I personally still don't want a gun in my home. This is only my feelings, I do not feel that I could kill someone. I have had guns pointed to my head and still don't feel that if I got the gun I would be able to kill someone. I would feel more comfortable with a taser or mace. This is only what I would do. If someone does feel comfortable killing someone than they should be able to defend their home.

Novus Collectus

It is not if the crime is intended to be violent, it is how the crime is percieved to be violent and if the defendor reasonably percieves the threat to be an imminent danger and a risk of bodily harm, then they are justified in using deadly force to end the threat from the criminal who is committing the crime of burglary.

As an example, a drunk bum is looking for a place to sleep and breaks into a house with a screwdriver.
Homeowner hears someone breaking in and grab their gun to investigate.
Homeonwner walks into the backroom to see a dark figure that shouldn't be there holding a sharp pointy screwdriver that can easily be a deadly weapon.
Homeowner shoots immediately.
It does not matter what the intent of the bum's was or if he probably would have surrendered immediately if given the chance, he was what a reasonable person would have agreed was a presented and imminent danger.

Another example, man in Baltimore who lives with his aunt is upstairs when he hears something odd downstairs. He grabs his gun to go check and sees in the kitchen a dark figure that he realizes is not his aunt.
Fearing for his life and his aunt's life who he does not know where she is in the house shoots the man in the back as he tries to run out of the kitchen.
The man dies outside of backdoor to the house......the resident is not even charged.