Recommendation for a GOOD seafood restaurant

luvmygdaughters

Jerry's is good if you like bland crab cakes. No filler or anything like that, but if you enjoy mustard and some "zing" to your cakes, you won't like them, imo.

The crab cakes at Heritage 485 a few minutes north are about the same as Jerrys, with a touch of mustard added.

It's hard for me to eat crab cakes at a restaurant. Mainly because I like mine pan fried in butter with cayenne pepper and mustard. No one makes them like that (how can you in a restaurant without taking forever?), so what you typically get with a "good" crab cake at a restaurant is broiled lump with limited fillers. Not to mention everyone's different beliefs on how a crab cake should be cooked.

Funny you should mention mustard. I think the best crabcakes are the ones you make at home after steaming your own crabs. The meat is seasoned the way you like it. I do add a little dijon and dried mustard to mine, as well as a little horseradish. Doesnt take away from the taste of the crab, but enhances it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Funny you should mention mustard. I think the best crabcakes are the ones you make at home after steaming your own crabs. The meat is seasoned the way you like it. I do add a little dijon and dried mustard to mine, as well as a little horseradish. Doesnt take away from the taste of the crab, but enhances it.

I make mine from crab meat picked from those already steamed in JO by me...and then picked. I make my "batter" with lots of mayo, dijon mustard, crushed saltine crackers., worcestershire sauce, a dash of hot sauce, and one egg for every dozen 1-cup cakes.

stgislander

PREMO Member
This won't be any help, but if you're in Tappahannock, VA you have to stop at Lowery's on US-17. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

SandieGarry

Morris Point in Abell. It's our go to place now, they are only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Chris, the owner and his son Jordan are super nice. I suggest the Fatty Crab, broiled, not fried. Get one of the fish specials, stuffed and you won't be disappointed. Went last Friday, place was packed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jerry's is good if you like bland crab cakes. No filler or anything like that, but if you enjoy mustard and some "zing" to your cakes, you won't like them, imo.

The crab cakes at Heritage 485 a few minutes north are about the same as Jerrys, with a touch of mustard added.

It's hard for me to eat crab cakes at a restaurant. Mainly because I like mine pan fried in butter with cayenne pepper and mustard. No one makes them like that (how can you in a restaurant without taking forever?), so what you typically get with a "good" crab cake at a restaurant is broiled lump with limited fillers. Not to mention everyone's different beliefs on how a crab cake should be cooked.

If you like zingy crabcakes, let me share my secret weapon with you:

Toad Sweat Key Lime dessert hot sauce.

I kid you not, you've got the sweet, the hot, and the tangy all in one condiment. Replace the mayo with it. You can find it at those hot sauce places that are around the tourist areas, or you can order from Amazon.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This won't be any help, but if you're in Tappahannock, VA you have to stop at Lowery's on US-17. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Oh man, I stopped there a few years back and had their lunch buffet. Mmmm MMMM! That I still remember it tells you something.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

By mustard do you mean the yellow stuff ar the green stuff in the crab? My wife swears that the green stuff makes the crabs better, but I think it should be wiped off just because it's a nauseating color.

littlelady

God bless the USA

There is nothing better than homemade crabcakes. Everyone makes them their own way. Hub's dad and bro live in Benedict and have had a commericial license for years. We miss the numerous crab feasts we had every summer, since we moved. We are, actually, having crabs this Tues for dot's birthday; first time to have crabs since we moved last Oct. Getting them live from Cameron's in Rockville, and cooking ourselves with the cooker steamer we haven't used in a year. Crossing our fingers that they are good quality. It doesn't make sense to drive 3 hours round trip, or make them bring us crabs, so we are winging it; so to speak. It is a test.

By mustard do you mean the yellow stuff ar the green stuff in the crab? My wife swears that the green stuff makes the crabs better, but I think it should be wiped off just because it's a nauseating color.

I am with you on the green crab mustard. No, thank you. :dead: I was born and raised in Louisiana and could never bring myself to suck a crawfish head; kind of the same thing. Your wife is awesome. Tell her I said, you go girl!

As far as topic, we would recommend Jerry's, also.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

If you like zingy crabcakes, let me share my secret weapon with you:

Toad Sweat Key Lime dessert hot sauce.

I kid you not, you've got the sweet, the hot, and the tangy all in one condiment. Replace the mayo with it. You can find it at those hot sauce places that are around the tourist areas, or you can order from Amazon.

I typically don't cook the cakes, but I'll pass it along to the chef. Thanks.

Yellow dijon mustard, or dry mustard mixed in the crab cakes. Not the "mustard" from the actual crab.

My wife will eat that #### out of the tips of the shell, but I don't eat it in bulk like that.

There is nothing better than homemade crabcakes. Everyone makes them their own way. Hub's dad and bro live in Benedict and have had a commericial license for years. We miss the numerous crab feasts we had every summer, since we moved. We are, actually, having crabs this Tues for dot's birthday; first time to have crabs since we moved last Oct. Getting them live from Cameron's in Rockville, and cooking ourselves with the cooker steamer we haven't used in a year. Crossing our fingers that they are good quality. It doesn't make sense to drive 3 hours round trip, or make them bring us crabs, so we are winging it; so to speak. It is a test.

I am with you on the green crab mustard. No, thank you. :dead: I was born and raised in Louisiana and could never bring myself to suck a crawfish head; kind of the same thing. Your wife is awesome. Tell her I said, you go girl!

As far as topic, we would recommend Jerry's, also.

You're still in MD. They should be fine. Enjoy!

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Ruddy Ducks on Dowell Road are very good and prices nicely!!! I'm sure down on St George's Island they use same recipe.