Redskins 2008...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...all I can say is that the last two weeks just took all the wind out of my sails.

I was relieved to see Joe move on and the naming of an actual GM.

The tragi-comedy of the head coach follies worked out, I think, pretty good, even if only by accident. It still should have been Gregggg but, oh well.

The Bengals are my sentimental favorite #2 team this year for NOT sticking us with Ohno Stinko.

The offensive draft sounded like a really good idea. At the time.

The first three preseason games were encouraging and exciting and fun.

The last two were unmitigated disasters.

As of right now, having listend the happy things, here's the unhappy things;

Jason is still a long way from playoff winning caliber. Be it offensive changes, lack of personel or bad luck. He is still not a top tier NFL qb.

The O line is what it is and was; old and on the verge of needing a major overhaul, possibly across the line. This probably the last dance for Kendall as it is for Jansen. Thomas and Sameuls might be about to take a step down from elite linemen. Rahbach is good, not great. This could be a disaster this season and that is much more likely than the hoped (prayed?) for ONE LAST STAND.

We are not one tiny bit better at skill than the end of last year. Both rook WR's aren't even getting on the field and Davis, while at least getting pt has not sparkled.

The D line, as otter said at the beginning of LAST year is still a team weakness. Montgomery has not stepped up. Griff is more or less expiring at the same rate as Thomas and Samuels. Taylor isn't going to save the team. LB has worries about Rocky and Washington, Fletcher is 72 this year, Landry is dinged, Springs and Smoot should be hobbling and limping around by midnight tomorrow night and Rogers, like Rocky, is a season away from what most players take to get back to 100% after their knees.

There are no stars on special teams. There is no Vinateri. No Hester. Not even a Pete Cronin to blow people up.

In short, I am resigned to going to the Meadowlands, a place we always struggle, against a division foe we're always happy to split with who are coming off of a championship season, and getting shellacked.

From there, we get the Saints who look great this year, then Cards at home, then at Dallas and at Philly then Rams here, a team we can not claim to be better than at this point, Browns, real contenders, here, at Detroit for one of the historical gimmes for us and then Steelers here and then the bye.

It's fairly easy to see an 0-3 divisional start, playing all three away, plus playoff caliber teams in Cleveland, New Orleans and Pittsburgh, with three 'should wins', Arizona, St. Louis and Detroit mixed in. 3-6 sounds about right. 4-5 sounds optimistic. 5-4 will impress the hell out of me.

I feel subdued about the coming season.

BuddyLee

Football addict
...all I can say is that the last two weeks just took all the wind out of my sails.

The tragi-comedy of the head coach follies worked out, I think, pretty good, even if only by accident. It still should have been Gregggg but, oh well.

The Bengals are my sentimental favorite #2 team this year for NOT sticking us with Ohno Stinko.

Jason is still a long way from playoff winning caliber. Be it offensive changes, lack of personel or bad luck. He is still not a top tier NFL qb.

The O line is what it is and was; old and on the verge of needing a major overhaul, possibly across the line. This probably the last dance for Kendall as it is for Jansen. Thomas and Sameuls might be about to take a step down from elite linemen. Rahbach is good, not great. This could be a disaster this season and that is much more likely than the hoped (prayed?) for ONE LAST STAND.

We are not one tiny bit better at skill than the end of last year. Both rook WR's aren't even getting on the field and Davis, while at least getting pt has not sparkled.

The D line, as otter said at the beginning of LAST year is still a team weakness. Montgomery has not stepped up. Griff is more or less expiring at the same rate as Thomas and Samuels. Taylor isn't going to save the team. LB has worries about Rocky and Washington, Fletcher is 72 this year, Landry is dinged, Springs and Smoot should be hobbling and limping around by midnight tomorrow night and Rogers, like Rocky, is a season away from what most players take to get back to 100% after their knees.

There are no stars on special teams. There is no Vinateri. No Hester. Not even a Pete Cronin to blow people up.

In short, I am resigned to going to the Meadowlands, a place we always struggle, against a division foe we're always happy to split with who are coming off of a championship season, and getting shellacked.

From there, we get the Saints who look great this year, then Cards at home, then at Dallas and at Philly then Rams here, a team we can not claim to be better than at this point, Browns, real contenders, here, at Detroit for one of the historical gimmes for us and then Steelers here and then the bye.

It's fairly easy to see an 0-3 divisional start, playing all three away, plus playoff caliber teams in Cleveland, New Orleans and Pittsburgh, with three 'should wins', Arizona, St. Louis and Detroit mixed in. 3-6 sounds about right. 4-5 sounds optimistic. 5-4 will impress the hell out of me.

It wouldn't surprise me to have a bad year, not because of the players but because of a new coach and completely new system. For that very reason I wouldn't be surprised to have a winning season either.

I think it's early to pass judgement Lar. Let them at least play tomorrow before we start the criticism.

I don't really care about Fletcher's age. The man is a leader and only makes plays, rarely missing a tackle. I'll take him over any young bud.

Landry is fine, they're just being cautious. Washington, Springs, Smoot and McIntosh are healthy. They might get injured just like any other player. To say that they're in the ditch before stepping onto the field is fan blasphemy!

The Saints looked good two years ago. They look good on paper. Let them start playing before you make a judgement. The season has many dips and turns. The Giants started 0-2 and won the Superbowl. Nobody saw that one coming.

Come on! Buck up! The season is among us! Redskins v. Giants on Thursday night. We have as good as a chance as anyone.

Hooah!

LateApex

A sensible Skins fan.

I'm amazed.

When you guys gave away the house for JC I was shocked and extremely happy.

Knowing that you guys haven't found that franchise guy yet makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

:pete:

I was shocked with the WR's at 1 and 2.

I would have thought you guys went Oline or Dline.

It might be a long year for you all.

angelbaby

It wouldn't surprise me to have a bad year, not because of the players but because of a new coach and completely new system. For that very reason I wouldn't be surprised to have a winning season either.

I think it's early to pass judgement Lar. Let them at least play tomorrow before we start the criticism.

I don't really care about Fletcher's age. The man is a leader and only makes plays, rarely missing a tackle. I'll take him over any young bud.

Landry is fine, they're just being cautious. Washington, Springs, Smoot and McIntosh are healthy. They might get injured just like any other player. To say that they're in the ditch before stepping onto the field is fan blasphemy!

The Saints looked good two years ago. They look good on paper. Let them start playing before you make a judgement. The season has many dips and turns. The Giants started 0-2 and won the Superbowl. Nobody saw that one coming.

Come on! Buck up! The season is among us! Redskins v. Giants on Thursday night. We have as good as a chance as anyone.

Hooah!

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I noticed on the NFL Channel, last night, they picked the 'Skins to place 3rd, in the NFC East......

I figured that prediction wouldn't sit too well with Redskin fans.:whistle:

OldHillcrestGuy

I noticed on the NFL Channel, last night, they picked the 'Skins to place 3rd, in the NFC East......

I think that is about right, heck I'd be happy with 3rd, we have a tough division, I second all what Larry wrote about the Skins.

Rael

Supper's Ready
Well, they did earn a wildcard last year being in third. :shrug: :lol: I know that isn't saying much for them, though. :lol:

But I can see why these last two games did take the spark out of the fans, and maybe even the team to some extent.

But because it is the NFC East, I don't give too much thought on how the Skins did in their last two pre-season games. As much as I hope it is a win for the Giants, I'm not assuming it will be an easy take at all. I thought hard about picking Giants -3.5. They're not the same team as last year, either.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Is Philly looking that bad?

Someone told me that Dr Z of Sports Illustrated picked Philly to get to the Superbowl this year...Never thought much of him, but he did pick the Pats/Giants last year at this time.

BuddyLee

Football addict

Wow!

They picked us third overall. Usually we're picked 4th each and every year.

No really.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Well, they did earn a wildcard last year being in third. :shrug: :lol: I know that isn't saying much for them, though. :lol:

But I can see why these last two games did take the spark out of the fans, and maybe even the team to some extent.

But because it is the NFC East, I don't give too much thought on how the Skins did in their last two pre-season games. As much as I hope it is a win for the Giants, I'm not assuming it will be an easy take at all. I thought hard about picking Giants -3.5. They're not the same team as last year, either.

The fans, team and surrounding media was immediately spoiled by having two Hall of Fame inductee's go in. This may have provided a spark in the first pre-season game. The next two weren't as great as the first but they were decent and provided some hope. The last two were terrible, no excuses can be had. In the pre-season I don't really look at the first stringers so much as I do the hopefuls. The first stringers should know how to get the job done, they don't need pre-season and that's why they're starters. The rookies and back-ups are the ones I keep an eye on. You need not look any further than the Super Bowl winning Giants team. That team largely won because of their back-up's and rookies. David Tyree making that incredible Swann-like catch. Jay Alford with the big pile-drive sack on Brady to seal the game. Tynnes with a kick to send the Giants to the Super Bowl. Steve Smith with a clutch first down to set up an Eli lob to Burress. So...

...for me I saw some good things and certainly some bad things about our rookies and back-ups. I'm glad most of the riff-raff is gone and that the starters get to play a meaningful game. I don't know if you can tell but I don't just love the Redskins, I love the game and each team (yes even Dallas to an extent:ohwell:).

Since 1992 the Skins have almost always started off slow on offense. Sometimes they stay slow and sometimes they pick up speed. A Skins fan can only expect this at the start of each and every season. However, you can't deny any fan from any team getting a little excited about the start of the season...or playing in any game for that matter.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Someone told me that Dr Z of Sports Illustrated picked Philly to get to the Superbowl this year...Never thought much of him, but he did pick the Pats/Giants last year at this time.
I could see the Eagles getting there if they had a decent receiver or two.

DeSean Jackson looked brilliant in the pre-season. If he can help them then maybe they get in the play-offs. They're offensive line has to do much better than last year though.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
Seems like Westbrook did a lot of work rushing and receiving. He was a great pickup for my fantasy team last season. I still can't get over week 15 though. That costed me the title.