Refresh my memory please

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
YVW.

Ahh... the early 90's... .

My definition of the 'good ole days' was actually a decade before that. And boy howdy were there a lot of bars in St. Mary's county back then.

Just in 7D alone I think we had probably a dozen altogether. What's left now..two or three?

Just think... many of us forumites that know each other IRL now were hanging out at these places together and never met back then... what a difference a forum makes...:smile:

My dear, I remember it well. Chip and Adam were good buds of mine.

I know. I was joking with you. :lol:

Chip snuck my girlfriend and I in to see them at the Nightlife (the old Cadillac Jacks, I think that's what it was called then) one time when I was still in high school.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I know. I was joking with you. :lol:

Chip snuck my girlfriend and I in to see them at the Nightlife (the old Cadillac Jacks, I think that's what it was called then) one time when I was still in high school.

Nightlife that was it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It was pretty darned rare that anyone 'hung out' in any of the 7D bars that were not know to the rest of the patrons. I think the phrase: "Saaay..you ain't from 'round cheer, air ya?" was invented in 7D.:evil:

I remember when Fog Hat played at the Ark & Dove/Blarney Stone/Black-Eyed Susan.

Molly Hatchett played there once also - Vrai's post yesterday about unusual contract riders made me think about that. I recall there being something rather unusual in theirs, but can't pull up what it was.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My best guess is that it was in 90 or 91. My wife and I were still going together at the time and we married in 92.

Sounds right..I move from 7D to Piney Point in '90...seldom went to that place before then, of course. Too far from 7D sanctuary.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Molly Hatchett played there once also - Vrai's post yesterday about unusual contract riders made me think about that. I recall there being something rather unusual in theirs, but can't pull up what it was.

OMG! I remember that. For some reason I'm thinking they played on the same night but can't be sure. We saw both though.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Remember Pat's Bar that used to be near the old Dominoe's location?

...and who can forget the Midway?

TPD

the poor dad
As I read these posts, I wonder what the memories of today's teens/20somethings will be in 25 years. Will they be talking about all the chain restaurants they used to go to for dinner? Will it be the movies they used to watch in their parents' home theater? Or will it be the hours spent in front of the computer on FB or with a droid/iphone in their hand texting the friend sitting next to them in the car? IMO, today's generation is missing out on the social events/places that make lasting memories.

The other thing that goes through my mind reading these posts is how government intervention changes our lives. You have the banning of smoking in public places along with an alcoholic beverage board that has taken enforcement to the nth degree. This, along with zoning regulations allowing chain restaurants/big box stores to open, has all taken away the fabric of our communities, where the places like Ark & Dove Pub/Pennies/Monks Inn/Hideaway Bar/Tennison's Bar used to provide a social venue for memory making. These places anchored our communities, making them smaller, where we knew our neighbors and knew how to socialize. In today's St. Mary's County, we have lost a lot of our communities, we no longer know our neighbors, and we rely on websites like SoMD to socialize, where 90% of us have never met and never will meet IRL.

I think our lives are more miserable with traffic, crowds at all the chain stores, and hectic lives that don't allow us to slow down and spend time with our families. When I say families, I am not talking immediate, but extended, including aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. As a kid, every Sunday we went to our grandmother's house and played all day with our cousins, where we explored the woods, swam in the creek, ate homecooked meals, rode bicycles. How many of us do anything similar to that today? Our Friday evenings would include going to Scheibles to sit on the picnic tables and have an RC cola, socializing with friends, while watching all the fishing boats come in with the days catch. But again, because of government regulations, the charter boat fishing business is not what it used to be. These are just some of the examples that I see.

I miss the good ole days!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Remember Pat's Bar that used to be near the old Dominoe's location?

...and who can forget the Midway?

Check..and check.

If you played on one of the sports leagues in the late 70s through the 80s (I played darts in TRICODA for Tommy Anderson's T's Cove) you got very familiar with every hole in the wall bar (included the one by that name, of course) that existed in southern MD. :whistle:

I've been here since '94, but all this chatter just reminds me that I am and will always be an outsider.... :ohwell: I know nothing of those places.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
THAT'S the one I couldn't remember - thanks!

That place had the best dance floor.
Remember when it had an incredibly old parachute hanging from the ceiling? It must have been the first parachute ever in existance, because that thing was damn old and faded. Just like most of the folks sitting at the bar. :lol: