Refresh my memory please

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've been here since '94, but all this chatter just reminds me that I am and will always be an outsider.... :ohwell: I know nothing of those places.

Sad part of that was just identified in a post up a couple; if all the places still existed, you would be less of an outsider if you so chose.

They were, in effect, almost as much a part of the social fabric as pubs still are in UK neighborhoods. Between just the routine evening pint, the dart nights, the stops 'just because I was going by in my boat' and a kickbutt Sunday brunch, I probably hit T's Cove five times a week in the summer time and at least two or three in the winter. Everybody knew everybody..it was 'home base'.

I'm not even sure that the concrete slabd the historical old T's Cove building sat on is still there..building has been gone for a long time now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've been here since '94, but all this chatter just reminds me that I am and will always be an outsider.... :ohwell: I know nothing of those places.

Well if you'd get your ass out of your house once in awhile and come out with us... :tap:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I miss the good ole days!

:yay: on your whole post. I didn't even hardly drink back then, maybe a beer or two, but I could still walk into just about any bar in town and know everyone in the place. It was a socializing thing, not a get drunk and be stupid thing. Now you mention the word "bar" and the assumption is that it's going to be filled with drunks and not be any fun.

But we did have a blast at Toots' last Friday - wish more people would have joined us.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I know. It is now a private residence.

A common 'fate'. Victory is a 'private residence' for the most part. I think the 'conversion' of Swann's set the bar though (pun intended?)...replaced one bar with 12 private residences. Didn't that piss off a few locals..

Wait..I take that back...look how many residences took the place of Frank's old Oakwood Lodge. Now there was a place that rocked back when Art P. owned and ran it as a nightclub!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
A common 'fate'. Victory is a 'private residence' for the most part. I think the 'conversion' of Swann's set the bar though (pun intended?)...replaced one bar with 12 private residences. Didn't that piss off a few locals..

Wait..I take that back...look how many residences took the place of Frank's old Oakwood Lodge. Now there was a place that rocked back when Art P. owned and ran it as a nightclub!

I heard that the old Hill's Club is going to be a liquor store.

sunflower

Loving My Life...
If you look at the sign you will notice he sold it to someone else....

Pennies.....The building and property were purchased from
the previous owners (Pennie's son and daughter)
for about a million dollars by Wm Davis who had plans to
demolish the buildings and develop the total property ...Motel,
businesses etc. I think the present state of the economy has slowed
him down.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's because people are paranoid that a cop might hang a u-turn and follow them.

That plus you can't smoke in bars anymore, and running outside to puff in the winter is a no-go.

We'll note that the non-smoking bubble people who complained and got this law passed aren't making up the revenue that was lost when smokers started staying home.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That plus you can't smoke in bars anymore, and running outside to puff in the winter is a no-go.

We'll note that the non-smoking bubble people who complained and got this law passed aren't making up the revenue that was lost when smokers started staying home.

That, too.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Where was the old Ark & Dove/Black-Eyed Susan/Roadhouse/etc? As in, what is there now?

And why hasn't someone taken over Pennie's and done something with it?

I think before then it was the Pink Elephant......I grew up in that place the the "boat and bird" damn the good old days..yeah in callaway where the food lion is but closser to the road..

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
My mother remembered it as Charlie's Villa. Now, that might actually have been a bit before your time.

Without question, the dance floor was the best part of that building.

I think "houle" was the bartender at that time????

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
Molly Hatchett played there once also - Vrai's post yesterday about unusual contract riders made me think about that. I recall there being something rather unusual in theirs, but can't pull up what it was.

No, the owner of the bar at the time held a Molly Hatchett concert at the fair grounds in Leonardtown.

O

ovred

We'll note that the non-smoking bubble people who complained and got this law passed aren't making up the revenue that was lost when smokers started staying home.[/QThat's why I don't go to bars in MD.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
As I read these posts, I wonder what the memories of today's teens/20somethings will be in 25 years. Will they be talking about all the chain restaurants they used to go to for dinner? Will it be the movies they used to watch in their parents' home theater? Or will it be the hours spent in front of the computer on FB or with a droid/iphone in their hand texting the friend sitting next to them in the car? IMO, today's generation is missing out on the social events/places that make lasting memories.

The other thing that goes through my mind reading these posts is how government intervention changes our lives. You have the banning of smoking in public places along with an alcoholic beverage board that has taken enforcement to the nth degree. This, along with zoning regulations allowing chain restaurants/big box stores to open, has all taken away the fabric of our communities, where the places like Ark & Dove Pub/Pennies/Monks Inn/Hideaway Bar/Tennison's Bar used to provide a social venue for memory making. These places anchored our communities, making them smaller, where we knew our neighbors and knew how to socialize. In today's St. Mary's County, we have lost a lot of our communities, we no longer know our neighbors, and we rely on websites like SoMD to socialize, where 90% of us have never met and never will meet IRL.

I think our lives are more miserable with traffic, crowds at all the chain stores, and hectic lives that don't allow us to slow down and spend time with our families. When I say families, I am not talking immediate, but extended, including aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. As a kid, every Sunday we went to our grandmother's house and played all day with our cousins, where we explored the woods, swam in the creek, ate homecooked meals, rode bicycles. How many of us do anything similar to that today? Our Friday evenings would include going to Scheibles to sit on the picnic tables and have an RC cola, socializing with friends, while watching all the fishing boats come in with the days catch. But again, because of government regulations, the charter boat fishing business is not what it used to be. These are just some of the examples that I see.

I miss the good ole days!

:yay: