relocating to Southern maryland

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by http
If you don't live in Fairfax, then stop talking, because that is what this is all about. We asked you earlier where you lived. Let us know where you really live and then we can talk. I told you earlier that this is not about where you work, it is about where you live. I work in DC and NOVA and still live in SOMD and do not consider the commute a waste.

As far as deer, I too see deer from my Reston Office 9th floor off of Sunset Valley. That doesn't erase the noise, traffic, congestion and filth between 66, 29, 50, a tollroad and an airport that separates me from you and the land of pleasant living.

Sounds like you're pretty stressed. Maybe a shorter drive my getting a job at pax would help.

The fairfax thing was only mentioned, had you actually read the posts in this thread, when I mentioned I couldn't uncourage LaurenG to work in fairfax and commute from maryland, even though it is incredibly beautiful. You are the one that started spouting off about living there.

Over a million people call fairfax county home, and most enjoy it. Too pricey for me. But I drive through clifton sometimes and see these nice homes on several acres, people with farms, etc. Yea, real built up and full of smog. :rolleyes: Maybe if you had the inclination to deviate from the interstate once in awhile, you would see the great things the area has to offer.
You do realize that fairfax extends beyong I66 and route 50, don't you?

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by SmallTown
Funny. One thing people say they love about somd is the diversity. But when it comes to anywhere else, diveristy is a sin?

And not that it matters, but I never said I lived in fairfax, only worked there. And yea, it is a nasty, smelly, nasty place that is all concrete and buildings. So I guess last thursday when I went to the park behind my office and was stared at by deer while I walked along with trail, it was all fake? damn engineers, always coming up with something to fool us.

ST, those were VA Deer, they are easily identified because they hang out next to the converted bumball machines that dispense feed. Put in a quarter, rotate clockwise and gain a furry friend.

pilot

If you don't live in Fairfax, then stop talking, because that is what this is all about. We asked you earlier where you lived. Let us know where you really live and then we can talk.

Hey, http, thanks for raising this issue. I just won a bet that Smalltown wouldn't answer the question!

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by pilot
When I lived in New Jersey, I used to see deer constantly--far more often than I do here in Southern MD. New Jersey is also the most densely populated state in the country. Sadly, I also saw road kill on a daily basis.

There's a reason why you don't see deer that often in Southern MD.

Seeing deer is not a good sign. It means they're being pushed out of their natural habbitat, a sure symptom of overdevelopment.

or in the case, a sign of the county setting aside adequate wooded park area to house this type of wildlife.

I lived in a very rural area in virginia, and saw deer all the time there as well.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by dpete2q
ST, those were VA Deer, they are easily identified because they hang out next to the converted bumball machines that dispense feed. Put in a quarter, rotate clockwise and gain a furry friend.

oh yea, I forgot!

:boo: :silly: :stooges: :weak:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by pilot
Hey, http, thanks for raising this issue. I just won a bet that Smalltown wouldn't answer the question!

I live in prince william county along the occoquan river, what is the point? It is the somd of NoVa, you guys would love it.

www.lakeridgeva.com

Last edited:

SmallTown

Football season!
DUDE PUULEASE! TAKE THAT CRAP SOMEWHERE ELSE. I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE YOU LIVE!

So do you want a cookie?

I have been hanging out in your area forever and ever from the little video shop/antique dealer in Occoquan that just got flooded out last year to the Lorton Pen, to Dale City to Ft. Belvoir where I worked for over 8 years (HQ Dept. Army Intel). I have rowed on the "Oh See" all through High School. I told you, I am from this area, so please, please stop. There is nothing you can say. You can take your postage stamp prefab home with your defense contractor neighbors and save it. And don't even try to compare you're little man-made lake to the jewels of the Chesapeake. Like I said, you're out of your league. I have so been there and done that with your little area that I have a rash on my a$$ from sitting on Potmac Mills center mall benches.

Stop what? You obviously know a lot about nothing.

Prefab homes? Hardly. Postage Stamp? Hardly. Defense Contractor neighbors? And Pax has what again? You are just too much.

Lorton Pen closed a couple years ago, they are doing a revitalization of that area.

The Bay was nice. But jewels? I don't call jelly fish and stinch to be jewels. But yea, the Bay was nice for boating and/or fishing

I just love the "out of your league" comments. Sounds like someone with an inferiority complex. Seems if you are so great, you would find a job in pax, thus never having a need to leave your perfect little piece of paradise.

SmallTown

Football season!
HOOES RUN BOAT RAMP
Located at the end of Forest Hill drive, the Hooes Run boat ramp accesses the Occoquan Reservoir. A key to access the boat ramp is available at the administration office. Boats powered by engines larger than 10 horsepower are prohibited. Swimming and water skiing in the reservoir is also prohibited. The boat ramp is open from sunrise to 9:00 p.m."

First, learn how the quotes work on here. Not that tough to do.

Second, your point? That is a boat ramp to enter the reservoir, a place to put in your canoe , kayak, or small fishing boat. Nice for a relaxing little trip on the water without jetskis flying by. Just part of the neighborhood. Of course, if you want the bigger boat stuff, go down the street and put in over the river ride of the occoquan and you can go from there, up the potomac to DC, or down the potomac (you do realize the potomac borders somd to, don't you?) and to your beloved bay if you want.
It really is a place that has everything we want. And Lake Ridge is very clean, which is important to us. We really couldn't ask for a better place to live. We have the seclusion of the woods, water, and park land. We have interstate access for quick trips north or south (well, quick depending on time of day!) and shopping, places to eat, etc are all right there for us. For us, it just feels more like home. Such a quiet area, yet so close to everything.

Last edited:

SxyPrincess

I live in prince william county along the occoquan river, what is the point? It is the somd of NoVa, you guys would love it.

I agree, ST...it is a very nice place. Have a few friends that live around that area. I used to live close to the FX County Courthouse. :biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
I agree, ST...it is a very nice place. Have a few friends that live around that area. I used to live close to the FX County Courthouse. :biggrin:

You should come and visit :smile:

SxyPrincess

You should come and visit :smile:
Uh, yea...explain that one to the wife...:cool: Besides, I don't think Kwillia would want me venturing into unchartered territory without her. :biggrin:

SeaRide

<== used to live in NoVA for 5 years

Falls Church (on Rt 29)
Fairfax Circle ( near the circle )
Vienna ( near Dunn Loring Metro and near Tyson Corner )
Woodbridge near the river (on Walnut St)

My ex-wife grew up in NoVA , grad from W.T.Woodson H.S.
My ex-finace lives in Sterling area off Algonkian Pkwy for approx five years or so (1 townhouse & one house) .
My ex-date lives in old part of Reston area.
My buddy recently moved in his new house in Leesburg not far from those huge outlet stores.

SeaRide

Again, do not even BEGIN to start with me on boats and waterways, I will rip your uneducated head off with knowledge.

As far as the NOVA-area Potomac, as I mentioned earlier it is an absolute offal refuse, filled with dead fish and trash. As far as bigger boats, starting at the Wilson on north is a total speed limit? Ooh fun, did ya know that? And the Anacostia is so dirty, this summer, boats will be prohibited. To the south of the Potomac, sure its beautiful but guess what? YOU'RE IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as living in NOVA, congrats. I'm sure its still the wonderful armpit that it has always been.

That reminds me of many boat tragedies on Potomac between the Wilson and Occoquan marina. I recall one boat's hull got poked with a cresote pole that was floating half submerged in the river. It's creepy river, I tell ya.

ST, when you get your new cruiser boat someday, you should volunteer for Potomac trash pick up day. You will see how much trash are out there. (propane tanks, tires, road barriers, barrels, etc)

Last edited:

SmallTown

Football season!
To the south of the Potomac, sure its beautiful but guess what? YOU'RE IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as living in NOVA, congrats. I'm sure its still the wonderful armpit that it has always been.

I mentioned area south bordered somd. And I did say the one great qaulity somd had is the water. So quit just spouting off about nothing.

Armpit... Yea, right.
If it is so bad, why do you bother coming to the armpit at all?
if having nice green areas, mixed in with water, shoppings, places to eat, then we are just the happiest armpit hairs ever. :rolleyes:

SxyPrincess

Maybe it's just me, but I've always had pleasant boating trips in the Occoquan. I don't like the fact that it takes fooooreeeever to get to full-throttle, but once I'm out, it's party time. :biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Maybe it's just me, but I've always had pleasant boating trips in the Occoquan. I don't like the fact that it takes fooooreeeever to get to full-throttle, but once I'm out, it's party time. :biggrin:

Yea, that is the drawback to keeping a boat there at the marina on 123. But once out, time to zoom!

We were across the water at occoquan park last week and drooled over the boats parked at the marina (which is what sparked my latest I WANT A BOAT ideas once again). Whenever I went to solomons island, it was the same thing. Dangerous places for people who want a boat :biggrin: