Reported shooting at or near the Big Lots on North Shangri La Drive in Lexington Park, MD

BernieP

Resident PIA
When was the last time you were actually in a situation like that, that required a firearm? I have never.

Avoidance.
It's one thing to defend your home, but even cops don't want to get into a shootout on the street where innocents can get hit.
Also, when it's in your home, far less question that it's justified than if you engage a bad guy on the street

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Or a ladder. Never know when you're going to have to get a cat out of a tree.

Or an inflatable splint, 'cause you might break an arm.

All about possibilities and weighing your potential outcomes.

Bare-ya-cuda

Or a ladder. Never know when you're going to have to get a cat out of a tree.

Or an inflatable splint, 'cause you might break an arm.

None of the above will outcome with me being dead.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
None of the above will outcome with me being dead.

The chances are so minimal, unless you walk into a war zone like Lex Park after dark. You want to carry, I don't have an issue. I don't need to. But if you do carry, and the need ever arises, you'd damn well better be prepared, ready to use that firearm properly and accurately.

CRHS89

Am I remembering wrong or was this the guy that had a lawsuit against the police involving property of his that they had?

Bare-ya-cuda

The chances are so minimal, unless you walk into a war zone like Lex Park after dark. You want to carry, I don't have an issue. I don't need to. But if you do carry, and the need ever arises, you'd damn well better be prepared, ready to use that firearm properly and accurately.
I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately I don’t have a ccw permit so I avoid those areas even during the day. If I go down GMR it’s to go in base and done during daylight hours with no stops except traffic signals.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Unfortunately Maryland is not one of them. I expect the next governor will move even further to make it harder to even own a gun and purchase ammunition. Anti-2nd Amendment politicians are now well funded by billionaires like Mike Bloomberg. They are finding ways to use executive orders to not make it illegal, but to simply "limit" via taxes and fees and other administrative methods, the ability to own a gun and purchase ammo.
I haven't looked for ammo here in TN.....yet.
1). I'm wondering what the price looks like now.
1a). Should I find what I'm looking for, will the amount I'm allowed to buy be limited?

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
DEEKAYPEE8569 said: From what I understand, some states allow its citizens to conceal carry in their lawfully owned personal vehicle without a CCW. A.K.A: "Expanded Castle Doctrine." :yay:

Some states have come to legalize what Vermont always has done, concealed carry with no license from the state necessary. A right to keep and bear arms is in the preamble to their state constitution.

Both my wife and I went to military college in Vermont (she shot on the women's rifle team, I was rifle and pistol), are veterans (albeit my USAF specialty involved firearms much more than did hers), are former competition shooters, do still target shoot, plus I'm a former hunter (stopped after I broke my back in November 2007 and then got a pacemaker in April 2008). I was also a hunter's safety instructor, NRA certified range safety officer and Boy Scout Rifle and Shotgun merit badge counselor.

In the 34 years we've lived in civilian housing, have needed a firearm exactly twice to confront an intruder. Both times it did turn out they were armed. Each time the 12 gauge with high intensity flashlight clamped to the magazine tube did the trick and they complied with my orders, stayed still until the police came to take them away. I do not do the "rack the slide to scare them" thing. My mentors would have my hide, never approach a possible shooting situation with an empty chamber. Most of them were combat veterans of WW2, Korea and Vietnam, plus a few long endurance street cops.

Have not felt a need to carry as a matter of course.

black dog

Free America

I wish I was as adept at knowing when and were someone will need a firearm to protect others or themselfs as you are..... Thats some Awesome Spider sence you must have.....
Its better to have and never have to use one, than the thought of..... Ohhhh Sh!t and you reach down and you realize its home on the dresser.....

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I wish I was as adept at knowing when and were someone will need a firearm to protect others or themselfs as you are..... Thats some Awesome Spider sence you must have.....
Its better to have and never have to use one, than the thought of..... Ohhhh Sh!t and you reach down and you realize its home on the dresser.....
Like I said.... if you feel the need to carry, have at it. I'll take my chances.

DannyMotorcycle

[snip]

In the 34 years we've lived in civilian housing, have needed a firearm exactly twice to confront an intruder. Both times it did turn out they were armed. Each time the 12 gauge with high intensity flashlight clamped to the magazine tube did the trick and they complied with my orders, stayed still until the police came to take them away. I do not do the "rack the slide to scare them" thing. My mentors would have my hide, never approach a possible shooting situation with an empty chamber. Most of them were combat veterans of WW2, Korea and Vietnam, plus a few long endurance street cops.

Have not felt a need to carry as a matter of course.

What were they armed with on those two occasions?

DannyMotorcycle

I wish i lived in a state where the 2nd amendment is the carry permit.. but the way my life is set up..

I think it's a tragedy that some of us have relented to in some ways cower to the state... to trade off our human right to prepare and be ready to defend against deadly violence (in exchange for not being prosecuted). You don't "only need a gun to shoot someone". Sometimes crime is stopped when idiots realize they are at a huge disadvantage. There are also times when animals are attacking defenseless people like the elderly and children, animals which are a much better predator than an unarmed human. Avoidance in trivial conflict I agree with of course... but life is all good until it's not.. and some things you shouldn't just avoid. I suspect there would be a lot less punk ass men who harm women in this world, one way or another, if every honest citizen carried. Avoidance must include turning a blind eye to wrong doing, and cowardice. No one is so lucky to never witness another person being assaulted.. or an animal presenting a danger to another innocent citizen. We should be able to be maximumly prepared for those rare but definitely numerous occasions in our highly populated existence. I look forward to the future when I can move to an actual free state that understands the 2nd amendment. Md democrats clearly do not (until they are victimized, and wished they had a firearm).

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
What were they armed with on those two occasions?

1st one, when we lived in Nebraska (1987) had a sawed off double barrel. He had it in one hand, his "workbag" in the other. More complete story than the above: when I drew down, this one actually jumped back out the window he pad pried open, after dropping his stuff. I heard tires screech, back fence was along a county road, then a crash noise less than a minute later while I was dialing 911. These geniuses were fleeing, towards the Sherriff's office and clipped a deputy just going out on patrol. I didn't even have to testify in person at their trial on multiple counts.

The other, when we lived in Ohio (1995), had a .38 revolver. This douche nozzle had it tucked in the front of his waistband, right down the back of his zipper. It stayed there until the cops came, disarmed him and took him away. I had him lay on his back, with his hands tucked in the back of his waistband.

Both thought the house was empty, apparently they did check out the parking habits of folks along the street.
I usually parked my pickup in the driveway, and my wife would park in her half of the garage. My half has the power tools.
She was gone on a business trip both times, so I had parked inside.

Neither were prepared for an armed resident trained in proper situational awareness and defensive techniques.

Louise

1st one, when we lived in Nebraska (1987) had a sawed off double barrel. He had it in one hand, his "workbag" in the other. More complete story than the above: when I drew down, this one actually jumped back out the window he pad pried open, after dropping his stuff. I heard tires screech, back fence was along a county road, then a crash noise less than a minute later while I was dialing 911. These geniuses were fleeing, towards the Sherriff's office and clipped a deputy just going out on patrol. I didn't even have to testify in person at their trial on multiple counts.

The other, when we lived in Ohio (1995), had a .38 revolver. This douche nozzle had it tucked in the front of his waistband, right down the back of his zipper. It stayed there until the cops came, disarmed him and took him away. I had him lay on his back, with his hands tucked in the back of his waistband.

Both thought the house was empty, apparently they did check out the parking habits of folks along the street.
I usually parked my pickup in the driveway, and my wife would park in her half of the garage. My half has the power tools.
She was gone on a business trip both times, so I had parked inside.

Neither were prepared for an armed resident trained in proper situational awareness and defensive techniques.

You go, spr!

1stGenSMIB

The next time I see you at Lowe's, I'll ask you if you've come across any douche nozzles recently! :lmao: - I am sure you see plenty every day, just probably not carrying revolvers in their waistband in a retail establishment.