Route 5 South of 4

Leonardtown Teen Shelby Wood Killed in Car Accident

Leonardtown Teen Shelby Wood Killed in Car Accident

Updated: Tuesday, 13 Jul 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 13 Jul 2010, 9:36 AM EDT

LEONARDTOWN, Md. - A 16-year-old Leonardtown, Maryland girl was killed in a car accident Tuesday afternoon.

Shelby Wood was driving her vehicle southbound on Point Lookout Road near St. Andrew's Church Road around 4:00 p.m. when it struck in the rear by another vehicle.

The collision sent Wood's vehicle into the northbound lane of traffic where it was struck a second time.

Wood was transported by ambulance to St. Mary's Hospital where she later died from her injuries.

Speed and alcohol are not believed to be contributing factors at this time.
You offer nothing new to the conversation.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Does anyone know if she was stopped to make a turn? Suddenly stopped because of something in the road. Was she moving when he hit her? Did she pullout in front of him?

One thing for sure is to learn defensive driving .... wheels forward instead of turned if you are going to make a turn. There was a fatal accident near the Benedict Bridge because the driver was rearended into the oncoming lane. This could be the same thing.

rwethereyet

Yeah, okay.
Does anyone know if she was stopped to make a turn? Suddenly stopped because of something in the road. Was she moving when he hit her? Did she pullout in front of him?

One thing for sure is to learn defensive driving .... wheels forward instead of turned if you are going to make a turn. There was a fatal accident near the Benedict Bridge because the driver was rearended into the oncoming lane. This could be the same thing.

If she was going southbound, there is no where between St. Andrews and Fairgrounds that she would be stopped with her wheels turned to the left, to make a left hand turn. Sounds like you are trying to put the blame on the girl some how, but this theory isn't working.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
If she was going southbound, there is no where between St. Andrews and Fairgrounds that she would be stopped with her wheels turned to the left, to make a left hand turn. Sounds like you are trying to put the blame on the girl some how, but this theory isn't working.

There are a couple of driveways on the northbound side

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

as I have gone thru there at that time of day... the only thing I can really think is the light right before you get to the middle school could have been red.. and traffic may have backed up to about that small turn... if you are coming south from St. Andrews up that hill you will come up on stopped traffic FAST!!! Happens in the AM and PM all the time.... so if she slammed on brakes out of surprise of traffic and maybe for that split second the driver behind her had taken his eyes off of the road and you look back up and you think OH CHIT!!! (how many times has this happened to you... Im sure lots)

just my theory... thats it... no blame just a thought.. cuz it has almost happened to me a month ago in the same spot

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever

No, not at all, trying to understand what happened without jumping to conclusions as some have done here. I did want to remind people about wheel positions when making a left hand turn, because someone can rear end you and push you into oncoming traffic. Something they don't teach in drivers ed.

Also, I read that if you are about to hit a deer, you should let up on the brakes just before impact, because it will cause the front end of your car to go higher thus the deer goes under your car instead of in your windshield. Not sure if it works, but read it somewhere.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
No, not at all, trying to understand what happened without jumping to conclusions as some have done here. I did want to remind people about wheel positions when making a left hand turn, because someone can rear end you and push you into oncoming traffic. Something they don't teach in drivers ed.

Also, I read that if you are about to hit a deer, you should let up on the brakes just before impact, because it will cause the front end of your car to go higher thus the deer goes under your car instead of in your windshield. Not sure if it works, but read it somewhere.

Ya' know, we're talking about a 16 year old girl here. With the degree of intelligence we have with our driving schools here, it was probably a challenge for her to get out of her drive way, much less know how her tires should have been positioned.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Ya' know, we're talking about a 16 year old girl here. With the degree of intelligence we have with our driving schools here, it was probably a challenge for her to get out of her drive way, much less know how her tires should have been positioned.

Off point. Erica Weems was in her 30's I think and the same thing happened to her on 231 in Calvert County. Just something for you all to think about the next time you make that left turn.

Patuxent remembers Weems

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you

My prayers to the family. It's so sad to lose such a young life.

This is by far the most important post in this thread. When stopped to make a left turn NEVER, EVER turn your wheels to the left before oncoming traffic is clear. This is indeed exactly what happened to the driver in Calvert. If you are rear ended it will push you straight into on coming traffic.

This tip could save your life one day!

Last edited:

sb624

thank you. may not have been speed or alcohol, but something made that man rear-end her. and regardless of her wheel direction she probably had no time to react before she was slammed into by the pilot (who was in the wrong place at the wrong time)

the driver who hit her has not been charged, and no, its not "clear" what happened.. but its easy to see the girl was not at fault.. so instead of people questioning her "wheel placement", or whether she was turning or not, admit she was hit.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If that guy has priors, including driving on a suspended license, he should get the death penalty because nothing else seems to be getting through to him. Now he's freakin' killed someone.

WTH is wrong with our judicial system??? If I were that girl's parent, I'd be extremely pissed that some judge let this punk off so he could continue his merry way and kill my daughter.

sb624

If that guy has priors, including driving on a suspended license, he should get the death penalty because nothing else seems to be getting through to him. Now he's freakin' killed someone.

WTH is wrong with our judicial system??? If I were that girl's parent, I'd be extremely pissed that some judge let this punk off so he could continue his merry way and kill my daughter.

AMEN!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
the driver who hit her has not been charged, and no, its not "clear" what happened.. but its easy to see the girl was not at fault.. so instead of people questioning her "wheel placement", or whether she was turning or not, admit she was hit.

Don't think anybody is saying it was her fault

It wouldn't matter which way her wheels were facing if he attempted to correct at all and hit her on the right-rear side... that would have just spun her into the oncoming traffic.

Woodyspda

If the guy's license was suspended at the time of the accident he should automatically be charged with at least manslaughter. As far as I'm concerned "no license"=your fault no matter what excuse you have loser. For non fatal accidents it should be 50k to everyone's life you inconvenienced because you can't be a responsible driver.

Let's not even get into the subject of convicted DUI offenders...

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Yes, it does. It makes me question things but that doesn't mean that this accident was anything other than an accident unless it is proven otherwise by the authorities.

No, locking your keys in the car is a mistake. It is neither an "accident" nor a "mistake" when someone willfully and blatantly disregards the law (multiple times) and chooses to drive anyway on a suspended license and kills someone!!!

God, give this family the strength to get through this.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
It wouldn't matter which way her wheels were facing if he attempted to correct at all and hit her on the right-rear side... that would have just spun her into the oncoming traffic.

You are missing the point and you do not know that either.

Really does not matter how. It is a tragic accident and some here are jumping to conclusions before all the facts are out there. You're probably right, a mean evil selfish person did this horrible thing and should pay for it, but a missed court date for speed less than 10 over caused a suspension, not reckless driving. Variblonde, I do not think the judge was out of line and from the looks of the court records, all matters were addressed. The only thing that bothers me is on one of the speeding tickets it does say there was an injury. That does not mean much because I know of at least two cases where they had the wrong lic. number and the driver listed as black when they were white. PA Martin from Calvert said that the system is not always accurate.

Prays to the families.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
If the guy's license was suspended at the time of the accident he should automatically be charged with at least manslaughter. As far as I'm concerned "no license"=your fault no matter what excuse you have loser. For non fatal accidents it should be 50k to everyone's life you inconvenienced because you can't be a responsible driver.

Let's not even get into the subject of convicted DUI offenders...

But we do not know if his lic. was suspended at the time of the accident.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Notices this on one of posts on the CJS:

PPTR 2009-12-15 121809;0900A;02;121509;E;SET WRONG CT ROOM IN ERROR

Might be a screw up on the court side of things why the suspension occurred.