Route 5 South of 4

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Go spend a day in the court room and watch what happens. I watched some lady plea her case that she was going 25 miles per hour over the speed limit because her small child in the car had to go the bathroom.....duh...did not make the judge happy and mentioned that reckless endangerment of a child could have been considered.

The court systems is pretty intiminating even for a simple speeding ticket. I really do feel sorry for some of the people caught in the system. It's not black and white. Some of the judges handle things pretty good considering the dregs they are dealing with.

sexy_mama

Go spend a day in the court room and watch what happens. I watched some lady plea her case that she was going 25 miles per hour over the speed limit because her small child in the car had to go the bathroom.....duh...did not make the judge happy and mentioned that reckless endangerment of a child could have been considered.

The court systems is pretty intiminating even for a simple speeding ticket. I really do feel sorry for some of the people caught in the system. It's not black and white. Some of the judges handle things pretty good considering the dregs they are dealing with.

I agree. What's scary too is that people(who could possibly be on a jury) are willing to convict without knowing all the facts.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I agree. What's scary too is that people(who could possibly be on a jury) are willing to convict without knowing all the facts.

Are you suggesting that expressing an opinion, or difference of opinion, is the equivalent of conviction in a court of law?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Variblonde, I do not think the judge was out of line and from the looks of the court records, all matters were addressed.

Oh stop. He has a history of speeding and reckless driving behavior. He rear-ended this girl, so he was either following too close or just flat not paying attention. AND he rear-ended her hard enough that it shoved her out into oncoming traffic.

No mercy for him, sorry. His license should be permanently revoked and he should do some jail time, at minimum.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Oh stop. He has a history of speeding and reckless driving behavior. ...AND he rear-ended her hard enough that it shoved her out into oncoming traffic.

History of speeding yes, history of reckless driving behavior, no (at least not until they finish the investigation). Also, did the impact shove her in to oncoming traffic or did she not control the vehicle when hit?

I hate to be on this side of the fence, but it is an accident right now until I hear more. Period. I will be the first in line to throwing stones if it is reckless.

I drive 3 hours a day in the car commuting. Tonight I was going 50 on Rt. 4 near where the girl was killed by the Calvert county cop last year and I was past by 3 people going 70. It was crazy. What was even worst was there was a trooper there and people still did not slow down. Oh, there was a guy reading a book driving today too! Unbelievable! An Monday two pocket rockets were riding wheelie though rush hour traffic on the Beltway.

Last edited:

sb624

History of speeding yes, history of reckless driving behavior, no (at least not until they finish the investigation). Also, did the impact shove her in to oncoming traffic or did she not control the vehicle when hit?

I hate to be on this side of the fence, but it is an accident right now until I hear more. Period. I will be the first in line to throwing stones if it is reckless.

I drive 3 hours a day in the car commuting. Tonight I was going 50 on Rt. 4 near where the girl was killed by the Calvert county cop last year and I was past by 3 people going 70. It was crazy. What was even worst was there was a trooper there and people still did not slow down. Oh, there was a guy reading a book driving today too! Unbelievable! An Monday two pocket rockets were riding wheelie though rush hour traffic on the Beltway.

Are you serious? she probably had NO time to react before that Honda Pilot hit her. I know that if I'm driving along, or slowing down, minding my own business, the last thing I'm planning on is getting rear-ended and slammed into another lane of traffic..

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Are you serious? she probably had NO time to react before that Honda Pilot hit her. I know that if I'm driving along, or slowing down, minding my own business, the last thing I'm planning on is getting rear-ended and slammed into another lane of traffic..

Actually had someone rear-ended my car when I was making a left turn. They were rear-end by the idiot that push the car into my car. First reaction is breaking hard. I went straight instead of into on coming traffic. Many close calls on the beltway with idiots that tailgate me. I usually tap the break lights when I am stopped on the beltway for a little more protection. Not sure if it works.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Failed brakes? :shrug:

This accident reminds me of the one last fall - anybody know the outcome of the investigation/charges on it?
http://forums.somd.com/scanner-activity/188566-accident-w-injuries-point-lookout-rd-aster-drive.html

Is this it?

Defendant Name:TIPPETT, JAMES SAMUEL

Race:WHITE,CAUCASIAN,ASIATIC INDIAN,ARAB
Sex:MHeight:601Weight:225
DOB:05/1970
Charge Information
Charge: Article:TASec:21Sub-Sec:310Para:ACode:
Description: FOLLOWING VEH. TOO CLOSELY
Location Stopped: RT 5 / ASTER DR
Contributed to Accident?: YES Personal Injury?: NO
Fine: 150

S

shagger

Is this it?

Defendant Name:TIPPETT, JAMES SAMUEL

Race:WHITE,CAUCASIAN,ASIATIC INDIAN,ARAB
Sex:MHeight:601Weight:225
DOB:05/1970
Charge Information
Charge: Article:TASec:21Sub-Sec:310Para:ACode:
Description: FOLLOWING VEH. TOO CLOSELY
Location Stopped: RT 5 / ASTER DR
Contributed to Accident?: YES Personal Injury?: NO
Fine: 150

That sounds like the one. Hmmm - $150 fine....

sexy_mama

That sounds like the one. Hmmm - $150 fine....

This is the one where the people following the girl whipped around her on the shoulder and he was a later vehicle that realized too late. He hit her on the corner of her car as he went to go around her as well. That's what contributed to her being pushed into oncoming traffic.

This is why passing on the shoulder regardless of whether the vehicle is turning left should be illegal. I have people do this to me all.the.time while trying to turn into my driveway. I always have my eye in the rear view mirror to be prepared for someone to rear end me, whether it be to start driving or go onto the shoulder.

thurley42

HY;FR
This is the one where the people following the girl whipped around her on the shoulder and he was a later vehicle that realized too late. He hit her on the corner of her car as he went to go around her as well. That's what contributed to her being pushed into oncoming traffic.

This is why passing on the shoulder regardless of whether the vehicle is turning left should be illegal. I have people do this to me all.the.time while trying to turn into my driveway. I always have my eye in the rear view mirror to be prepared for someone to rear end me, whether it be to start driving or go onto the shoulder.

It doesn't matter if they are allowed to pass or not...if you are stopped in the middle of the road turning left and someone isn't paying attention they are going to hit you regardless.....

sexy_mama

It doesn't matter if they are allowed to pass or not...if you are stopped in the middle of the road turning left and someone isn't paying attention they are going to hit you regardless.....

If 3 cars all of a sudden whip around the person turning without signaling that they are going to whip, you can be paying attention but may not have the reaction time for it. If it were illegal(like most other states), then it would lessen how often it happens.

I see it everyday. I use my turn signal even on the improved shoulders that are designed for using the shoulder. I think most people have forgotten that their cars are equipped with a turn signal.

Jbeckman

Not an accident...was preventable...is a CRASH! Someone was at fault. Her age may have limited her ability...i.e. skills in handling the vehicle...but the CRASH and outcome were the results of someone else's 1st contribution to set this into motion.

betty99

I guess I'm different, because I am always anticipating being hit from any angle. People are nuts. Keeping an eye on those around me has saved me in the past. A little over a year ago, i was coming through PF in the a.m. and saw the three-car train of rear-ending coming at me. I was barely clipped because I got myself as far out of the way as possible.

Back to the point of the thread, my heart goes out to the family. This was an awful tragedy.

Purplefox

I AM an enigma
Not an accident...was preventable...is a CRASH! Someone was at fault. Her age may have limited her ability...i.e. skills in handling the vehicle...but the CRASH and outcome were the results of someone else's 1st contribution to set this into motion.

No, it is an accident, otherwise it would be an "On-purpose". A crash resulted from the accident. Or are you telling me this kid rear-ended her on purpose? He meant to kill her, and to F up the other drivers involved either physically or emotionally?

Sad as it is, it was an accident. I feel for the young girl's family, but I also feel for EVERYONE involved in this. It is truly a heart breaking situation.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
No, it is an accident, otherwise it would be an "On-purpose". A crash resulted from the accident. Or are you telling me this kid rear-ended her on purpose? He meant to kill her, and to F up the other drivers involved either physically or emotionally?

Sad as it is, it was an accident.
Not an accident.
He was doing something other than driving and maintaining a 2 sec space between himself and the car in front of him.
Intentional or not, whatever he was doing caused the collision

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
It actually is an accident....

ac·ci·dent   /ˈæksɪdənt/ Show Spelled[ak-si-duhnt] Show IPA
–noun
1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.
2. Law . such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.
3. any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.