Rules of the Road

• YES

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • YES

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

SamSpade

I think people know that you're not supposed to run a red light, or drive on the shoulder, or cross double yellow lines to pass on a two lane road - and so on. But people do it anyway, for reasons I've mentioned countless times - there are no consequences. They get away with it. The only other reason is people are just willfully stupid, and no amount of education will cure them of it.

One of my personal favorites is when you are at an intersection, waiting to make a left turn, and someone is trying to make a left turn onto the road you're on. Unless there's a divider in the road, a lot of drivers will practically drive IN YOUR LANE towards you, albeit briefly, drive right over the painted dividing line to make their turn. This of course, is totally avoided by making a broad curve as you turn into the road.

The last time I experienced this, the other driver barely missed me but made sure to glare at me as they passed.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I think people know that you're not supposed to run a red light, or drive on the shoulder, or cross double yellow lines to pass on a two lane road - and so on. But people do it anyway, for reasons I've mentioned countless times - there are no consequences. They get away with it. The only other reason is people are just willfully stupid, and no amount of education will cure them of it.

Not to make this political, but this inability to follow simple driving instructions explains why people vote the way they do.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I think people know that you're not supposed to run a red light, or drive on the shoulder, or cross double yellow lines to pass on a two lane road - and so on. But people do it anyway, for reasons I've mentioned countless times - there are no consequences. They get away with it.

One of my personal favorites is when you are at an intersection, waiting to make a left turn, and someone is trying to make a left turn onto the road you're on.

I swear, a lot of people just drive however they heck they feel like. I have had the following scenario happen to me a few times: I drive up to a stop sign at a very busy road before making a right hand turn. A vehicle is stopped at the stop sign across from me - waiting to make the LEFT onto that same road. (They would be heading in the same direction as I. )

After assessing the traffic and making a complete stop, do I not then have the right away? Because in these scenarios, those vehicles who seem to have been there before I arrive at the stop sign - either pull out in front of me very quickly, or attempt to as I am executing my right hand turn.

I may be mistaken, but I thought I had the right away, yet those drivers seem to think it's a first come, first served type of deal. :confused:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I swear, a lot of people just drive however they heck they feel like. I have had the following scenario happen to me a few times: I drive up to a stop sign at a very busy road before making a right hand turn. A vehicle is stopped at the stop sign across from me - waiting to make the LEFT onto that same road. (They would be heading in the same direction as I. )

After assessing the traffic and making a complete stop, do I not then have the right away? Because in these scenarios, those vehicles who seem to have been there before I arrive at the stop sign - either pull out in front of me very quickly, or attempt to as I am executing my right hand turn.

I may be mistaken, but I thought I had the right away, yet those drivers seem to think it's a first come, first served type of deal. :confused:

If it's a 4 way stop (signs) the first to arrive has the right of way.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

Two cars across from each other, no traffic, first one there has the right of way.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Nope. Just a 2 way.

It makes sense to me that the first to arrive at a stop sign would be the first to go, even at a two way, or the person making the left could be there all day long. I'd have to look at the handbook, though.

Mojo

The first person at the stop sign has the right of way.

H

HouseCat

It would just turn into a big fight thread.
the reason is that nobody will admit that what they do is wrong.. except me, I will admit that some of the things I do are just plain wrong and at times unsafe.

But, I think Im the only one.
just think of all the speeding threads where its the guy doing the speed limit thats wrong, or cell phone threads etc...

we all drive perfect, its ALWAYS the douchbag driving next to us thats the problem.

but, I still vote yes,, even if there was a no, I would vote yes, providing that the regulations are the legal explanation or rule/requirement in the state.

does any of that make even the smallest amount of sense?
:yeahthat:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Two cars across from each other, no traffic, first one there has the right of way.

It makes sense to me that the first to arrive at a stop sign would be the first to go, even at a two way, or the person making the left could be there all day long. I'd have to look at the handbook, though.

The first person at the stop sign has the right of way.

Here's what I could find on it from the MD MVA Handbook

Right-of-Way (Page 41)
Laws govern the right-of-way, but never put these laws ahead of safety. The right-of-way means the right of one vehicle or pedestrian to proceed in a lawful manner on a highway in preference to another vehicle or pedestrian. If you have the right-of-way and others yield it to you, proceed immediately.​

You must, of course, obey stop signs; yield signs and traffic signals at intersections.​

If you enter the intersection after another vehicle, you must yield the right-of-way.

If you are about to turn left at an intersection or into an alley, private road or driveway, you must yield the right-of-way to other pedestrians and vehicles until it is safe to turn.

If you are entering a public street or highway from a private road or driveway, you must stop and yield to all approaching vehicles and pedestrians.

If a traffic light turns green for you, you must still yield to pedestrians and vehicles in the intersection. Be on the lookout for red light runners.​
~~~~~~~~~~~
(Page 63)
Left Turn: One-Way to One-Way
Get into the lane furthermost to the left well ahead of the turn.
Signal your intention to turn for at least 100 feet.
Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
Turn sharply into the first lane on the left side of a one-way highway​
~~~~~~~~~~~
(Page 63)
Right Turns
Get into the lane furthermost to the right well ahead of the turn.
Signal your intention to turn for at least 100 feet.
Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
Be alert for vehicles ahead that are also turning right.
Yield to bicyclists traveling between you and the side of the road.

PsyOps

Pixelated
It would just turn into a big fight thread.
the reason is that nobody will admit that what they do is wrong.. except me, I will admit that some of the things I do are just plain wrong and at times unsafe.

But, I think Im the only one.
just think of all the speeding threads where its the guy doing the speed limit thats wrong, or cell phone threads etc...

we all drive perfect, its ALWAYS the douchbag driving next to us thats the problem.

but, I still vote yes,, even if there was a no, I would vote yes, providing that the regulations are the legal explanation or rule/requirement in the state.

does any of that make even the smallest amount of sense?

Yes. The smallest. :biggrin:

Cowgirl

Apparently dummies on the Bay Bridge (eastbound) can't follow directions either. There's no switching lanes anymore. There are 2 solid white lines (the dotted ones were painted over) and there's a sign saying "STAY IN YOUR LANE." Apparently that's too hard to read. :ohwell:

Rael

Supper's Ready
It's not generating much interest anyway. BIG SURPRISE!

Did you set it up so MPDs couldn't vote? :lol:

I say what the heck, why not? There are plenty of other forums here that are never used, and lots of folks here like to talk/complain about driving.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I thought about it for a sec and realized nobody would read a dedicated thread. It's better to leave it in the general one so more people will actually figure out there are rules of the road.
In the meantime, buckle up and drive defensively; THEY are everywhere trying to get YOU!