RV condundrum...

bcp

In My Opinion
We ####ed up. Looked at some used LOADED 38-40 footers last night with toy room that IS a room with 1/2 bath!!!

I got me some serious flower selling to do.

Some of those "campers" can be nice enough to call home. But, you might want to think about at least a 250 or 2500 series truck for a 38 footer.
and like mentioned, what you can pull is one thing, what you can stop is a totally different experience. And the trailer brakes are nice but, as I found out in Iowa, there is a chance that something will F up and leave you at 70 mph on the highway when you suddenly realize that the trailer brakes are no longer in the equation. The truck needs to be able to stop the trailer safely without the trailer brakes.

bcp

In My Opinion
How bad could it be? I mean, come on! Half the trip is downhill!
:lmao:

I pulled my camper all the way through the Rockies. No problem. You can do it. plus with the toy hauler, if the truck does break down, just hook the bike up to the camper, put the truck in the bay and off you go.

I really cant think of anything that could go wrong with this

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Towing power shouldn't be the issue, I think it's more in the line of stopping and controlling the RV where the tow vehicle is concerned, along with wearing out the tow vehicle.

This is true. The Fifth wheel helps in all of the above.

Fifth wheel, as long as you don't exceed the Rear Axle weight, and gross vehicle weight of the tow vehicle, will allow you better handling, and significantly more trailer weight allowance.

You're moving the weight of the trailer from the VERY back of the vehilce to over the rear axles. MUCH better control.. and less likely to remove to much weight from the front of the vehicle, giving you a more stable ride.

Trailer of any significant size should have its own braking system.

bcp

In My Opinion
This is true. The Fifth wheel helps in all of the above.

Fifth wheel, as long as you don't exceed the Rear Axle weight, and gross vehicle weight of the tow vehicle, will allow you better handling, and significantly more trailer weight allowance.

You're moving the weight of the trailer from the VERY back of the vehilce to over the rear axles. MUCH better control.. and less likely to remove to much weight from the front of the vehicle, giving you a more stable ride.

Trailer of any significant size should have its own braking system.

This is all why I wish now that I had bought the fiver in the first place. Although with the dually the bumper pull does not seem to be too much weight or does it push the truck around.
as far as brakes go, Isnt it a requirement that any trailer over 3k gross must have its own brakes? I know mine has brakes on all four wheels, they come on before the truck brakes do then increase with the pedal action. (That might all be the controller though) Getting ready to change the brake system on the trailer from drum to disk.

nutz

This is all why I wish now that I had bought the fiver in the first place. Although with the dually the bumper pull does not seem to be too much weight or does it push the truck around.
as far as brakes go, Isnt it a requirement that any trailer over 3k gross must have its own brakes? I know mine has brakes on all four wheels, they come on before the truck brakes do then increase with the pedal action. (That might all be the controller though) Getting ready to change the brake system on the trailer from drum to disk.

Did you already get a kit or is a dealer doing the switch? How many $$ are involved to make that happen?

Vince

I've never understood the allure of RV living.You need a large initial investment and with a trailer you need a large tow vehical.
This allows you live in cramped quarters where you need to do all the same house keeping chores you do at home, cooking, cleaning, dishwashing, etc

How is this a vacation?

A motor home will cost at least $35-50k. I can stay in a lot of hotels and eat in a lot of resturants for that and I don't have to drive a bus getting 8 mpg to get there
:yeahthat: Not an attractive option I would choose. :shrug: Too much money for too little return unless you intend to sell everything and travel the country in it. Guess it's just not for me.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The first question would be.. Are you going to use it enough to be worthwhile to buy, or are you going to be making payments while it sits in the yard?

THAT is the first question and is the home of "The Great Conundrum"; 'worthwhile'. How to define 'worthwhile? Dollars? Convenience? Use? Features?

Renting, as you suggest, has many pluses yet also has drawbacks. It ain't cheap at all. I have time in July and January to be gone. That means north and West in the summer and South and West in the Winter. In a perfect world, which does not exist, I would be gone for 5-6 weeks. Throw in occasional weekend trips and I'm looking at something north of 4 or 5k a year, easy, to rent. We do a long trip say, Grand Canyon, the mileage charge is going to SUCK. Throw in the 'value' of a short trip or two not taken because of, say, last minute availability or the simple inconvenience of having to go get it, take it back, load in and out, etc.

So, if we would rent, spend $4,000 a year, add in the 'cost' of the inconvenience and some sort of value for 'lost' trips, over 10 years that's, at least, $40,000.

In any event, that is the BIG question, how to value it, what is 'worthwhile'.

:buddies:

bcp

In My Opinion
Did you already get a kit or is a dealer doing the switch? How many $$ are involved to make that happen?

Im going to do it myself, Im still searching the interweb for the kits, looks like Im going to be spending somewhere around 100 bucks per wheel to do it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
THAT is the first question and is the home of "The Great Conundrum"; 'worthwhile'. How to define 'worthwhile? Dollars? Convenience? Use? Features?

Renting, as you suggest, has many pluses yet also has drawbacks. It ain't cheap at all. I have time in July and January to be gone. That means north and West in the summer and South and West in the Winter. In a perfect world, which does not exist, I would be gone for 5-6 weeks. Throw in occasional weekend trips and I'm looking at something north of 4 or 5k a year, easy, to rent. We do a long trip say, Grand Canyon, the mileage charge is going to SUCK. Throw in the 'value' of a short trip or two not taken because of, say, last minute availability or the simple inconvenience of having to go get it, take it back, load in and out, etc.

So, if we would rent, spend $4,000 a year, add in the 'cost' of the inconvenience and some sort of value for 'lost' trips, over 10 years that's, at least, $40,000.

Well, if you HAVE to buy.. I've got a lead on a really NICE Phaeton..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My .02. I have a 24' toy hauler, tongue towed. My F-250 diesel truck (older 1989) really is not very happy pulling that camper; I wish I had bought a smaller camper model now.

nutz

If you're talking about renting a RV, have you checked prices? It's like 900+/wk and 0.32/mile plus fuel, fees, insurance and tax. And, I believe most have an extra towing charge for a trailer. :evil:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If you're talking about renting a RV, have you checked prices? It's like 900+/wk and 0.32/mile plus fuel, fees, insurance and tax. And, I believe most have an extra towing charge for a trailer. :evil:

Depending on what you are renting.

If you use a $60,000 "Winnebago" one week out of the year, would it be cheaper to pay the $900 plus mileage, or pay the $500- 1200 monthly loan payment?

nutz

Im going to do it myself, Im still searching the interweb for the kits, looks like Im going to be spending somewhere around 100 bucks per wheel to do it.

Not too bad, but is it worth it? Does that include the actuator and reverse lockout setups?

nutz

Depending on what you are renting.

If you use a $60,000 "Winnebago" one week out of the year, would it be cheaper to pay the $900 plus mileage, or pay the $500- 1200 monthly loan payment?

Oh, I wasn't taking sides, just being nosy. Wasn't sure if he was talking rv rental or something else. But what if it's a smaller toyhauler trailer and he pays cash? A 2 or 3 horse living quarters trailer could make a nice toyhauler too. :buddies:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I've never understood the allure of RV living.
You need a large initial investment and with a trailer you need a large tow vehical.
This allows you live in cramped quarters where you need to do all the same house keeping chores you do at home, cooking, cleaning, dishwashing, etc

How is this a vacation?

A motor home will cost at least $35-50k. I can stay in a lot of hotels and eat in a lot of resturants for that and I don't have to drive a bus getting 8 mpg to get there

I don't get it either. When I take a vacation, I want it to be overseas, in the Caribbean, and as far away from Maryland as possible.

bcp

In My Opinion
Not too bad, but is it worth it? Does that include the actuator and reverse lockout setups?

no actuator
These are electric, controlled by the brake controller in the truck.
This is the set right here,
but I would be buying them from someone on another forum that bought them and never installed, still new in the box and he only wants 450.00 for everything.

bcp

In My Opinion
Larry, there are a bazillion pet friendly hotels. Marriott alone has well over 1000 across the US.

Use Marriott

I don't get it either. When I take a vacation, I want it to be overseas, in the Caribbean, and as far away from Maryland as possible.

And then there are those of us that cant stand hotels. You just cant clean enough to get all the mis-directed splooge out of the bed, the carpet, the walls etc..
I like having my own bathroom and shower, beds I know are clean, refrigerator that I know is sanitary. and, I can get my camper set up and be kicked back with a beer faster than you can check in at the hotel, carry your luggage up, unpack and be ready to party.