RV condundrum...

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I'm in the same boat tow wise as you are Larry, 8k max.

I looked into every 5th wheel/toy hauler and tow behind models out there in the weight class. I didn't gain enough in the 5th wheel department on my truck to make the money needed worth it.

There are some really nice tow behind models out there that are well within your weight that are toy haulers. That is, if it is YOU and the dog.

I have the wife and 2 kids, so what we gave up in 'extra' convenience just so I could get a golf cart, made us not go hauler route and went straight TT.

Here are 2 models here, they have them at Economy RVs in Mechanicsville (not sure where you are located)

New Gulf Stream Track & Trail for sale in Mechanicsville MD | 2013 Gulf Stream Track & Trail 24RTH Toy Hauler For Sale from Economy RVs in Mechanicsville Maryland - Economy RVs

New Gulf Stream Track & Trail for sale in Mechanicsville MD | 2013 Gulf Stream Track & Trail 17RTHSE Toy Hauler For Sale from Economy RVs in Mechanicsville Maryland - Economy RVs

Obviously there are others out there, but this is just another idea you could mess with.

Tomcat

Anytime
Have a 32' Class A and have used it to haul an open motorcycle trailer. Rearview camera really helps seeing it behind you. You think backing up a trailer driving a pick up is bad, try backing a 12' trailer behind a 32' motorhome when the trailer ball is a good 10' behind the rear axle, especially in a crowded campground with everyone watching or waiting to get around you.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I can get my camper set up and be kicked back with a beer faster than you can check in at the hotel, carry your luggage up, unpack and be ready to party.

No you can't because I got there three hours before you did since I'm not pulling a trailer

bcp

In My Opinion
Have a 32' Class A and have used it to haul an open motorcycle trailer. Rearview camera really helps seeing it behind you. You think backing up a trailer driving a pick up is bad, try backing a 12' trailer behind a 32' motorhome when the trailer ball is a good 10' behind the rear axle, especially in a crowded campground with everyone watching or waiting to get around you.

First, the smaller the trailer the harder it is to back up.
Next with a 12 foot trailer behind your Class A, you most likely dont even see that trailer until it swings into view of the mirror, and by that time its almost too late to correct it.
Camera would certainly be the only way I could back your stuff up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Some people like to sit around an RV at a campground for vacation; others like to do things, shop, hit bars and restaurants and see some sights.

To each their own :cheers:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm in the same boat tow wise as you are Larry, 8k max.

I looked into every 5th wheel/toy hauler and tow behind models out there in the weight class. I didn't gain enough in the 5th wheel department on my truck to make the money needed worth it.

There are some really nice tow behind models out there that are well within your weight that are toy haulers. That is, if it is YOU and the dog.

I have the wife and 2 kids, so what we gave up in 'extra' convenience just so I could get a golf cart, made us not go hauler route and went straight TT.

Here are 2 models here, they have them at Economy RVs in Mechanicsville (not sure where you are located)

New Gulf Stream Track & Trail for sale in Mechanicsville MD | 2013 Gulf Stream Track & Trail 24RTH Toy Hauler For Sale from Economy RVs in Mechanicsville Maryland - Economy RVs

New Gulf Stream Track & Trail for sale in Mechanicsville MD | 2013 Gulf Stream Track & Trail 17RTHSE Toy Hauler For Sale from Economy RVs in Mechanicsville Maryland - Economy RVs

Obviously there are others out there, but this is just another idea you could mess with.

TT is the only thing that is out. Gotta have bikes (dirt and street) and tools and general ####. Saw a 21 foot C today with the kewlest layout I've ever seen in one that short. So, now, it's back to maybe a C pulling the bike trailer.

However, we also saw a $100,000 40' 5th wheeler that had a hot tub, a basement, skylights and a helicopter landing pad...

:lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
DuraCozy

There you go Larry, pop up truck bed camper, 12 ft trailer for the toys.

Next?

BBBZZZT Wrong answer! Too old for that. There WILL be some comforts.

And thanks for commenting. I was hoping you would as it seems to me you know your business about 5th wheelers 'n such.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
but you can do all that from a camper too

Not without a bunch of hassle. Campgrounds are never near civilization.

My idea of a vacation is to get somewhere, park the car, and not have to see it again for a week because everything I want to do is either within walking distance or there's good mass transit.

Although I do plan on taking a car trip to TX and NE this year and making time to stop at places along the way that sound interesting. THAT you cannot do with an RV because you have to figure out where to park the thing.

But again, to each their own - when I'm on vacation I don't want to be cooking and cleaning just like I do at home. Like Aps said, that's not a vacation. But if other people enjoy it, more power to 'em!

bcp

In My Opinion
Not without a bunch of hassle. Campgrounds are never near civilization.

My idea of a vacation is to get somewhere, park the car, and not have to see it again for a week because everything I want to do is either within walking distance or there's good mass transit.

Although I do plan on taking a car trip to TX and NE this year and making time to stop at places along the way that sound interesting. THAT you cannot do with an RV because you have to figure out where to park the thing.

But again, to each their own - when I'm on vacation I don't want to be cooking and cleaning just like I do at home. Like Aps said, that's not a vacation. But if other people enjoy it, more power to 'em!
Of course you can stop and see whatever it is you want to see. I even drove downtown Mitchell to see the Corn Palace, had no problem parking the camper. Ive towed it through the center of Chicago at rush hour. (ok, that was an accident due to a missed turn,)

The other side of it is that I personally do not wish to waste (personal opinion) my vacation by going to a city. All beaches have campgrounds, some on the beach if you choose. amusement parks, same thing, all national parks, actually, with the National Parks you are better off with a camper.
Saves a good deal of money too, we never stop at fast food places when we travel, we will pull into a rest stop or a shopping center parking lot etc.. and make lunch in the camper. We eat and move on.

bcp

In My Opinion
BBBZZZT Wrong answer! Too old for that. There WILL be some comforts.

And thanks for commenting. I was hoping you would as it seems to me you know your business about 5th wheelers 'n such.

http://dunesport.com/inventory_view.php?orderid=387014&view=printable

Ok, Check out the dunesports.
you dont have to go with dunesport, most companies make this size trailer.

The only downside to the smaller toy haulers is that while you are living in the camper, the toys have to live outside. when you travel things fold up and give room to put the toys.

The one I linked to has a dry weight of 3k. Gross weight (all gear and toys and beer) of 7k. Im thinking the Tundra could handle 7
One other thought might be air bags on the tundra, just to keep it level when towing. Even the distribution hitches allow for tail drop. I have a distribution/sway bar type hitch and my camper still drops the back of my truck by 2 or 3 inches.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
http://dunesport.com/inventory_view.php?orderid=387014&view=printable

Ok, Check out the dunesports.
you dont have to go with dunesport, most companies make this size trailer.

The only downside to the smaller toy haulers is that while you are living in the camper, the toys have to live outside. when you travel things fold up and give room to put the toys.

The one I linked to has a dry weight of 3k. Gross weight (all gear and toys and beer) of 7k. Im thinking the Tundra could handle 7
One other thought might be air bags on the tundra, just to keep it level when towing. Even the distribution hitches allow for tail drop. I have a distribution/sway bar type hitch and my camper still drops the back of my truck by 2 or 3 inches.

Ain't happening. I need more trailer. Something like this;

bcp

In My Opinion
So trying to figure out what you can actually safely tow (safety is the key here) I went to a tundra forum and discovered that people were using the truck to pull fivers.
Evidently Reese makes the install kit for Tundras.
I would however certainly think about moving to minimum D tires, Ideal would be E. I have the E on mine (silent armor) and they are great tires but ride stiff.

couple pictures I stole from these people to give you an idea.
sigpic50473_1.gif.jpg

100_0610.jpg

Like I said, Safety is the key. If the truck is rated at 10k, and you put on 11k, chances are it will tow it and stop it just fine. Problem would come if you had an accident with it, the lawyers would jump all over that 1k and show you to be negligent. Even if the accident was not your fault.

When Im towing my camper I am around 5k under the max limit.