Save The Bees

SoMDBeekeeper

My point was, that there are many more important things to worry about than if the bees are feeling okay..

No, I don't think there are.

Insect pollination is responsible for 1 out of 3 bites of food YOU put in your mouth.

Colony Collapse Disorder has been killing 1/3rd of ALL colonies in the United States for the last three years straight. The rate is unsustainable. Commercial beekeepers are going under and the feral bee colonies in this country are all but extinct.

Vegetables, fruits, nuts, some grains etc etc etc are insect pollinated. Not to mention the food consumed by cows to support the dairy industry.

Imagine what your grocery bill is going to be like when the honeybee populations get too low to meet demand. Its going to hit YOU directly in your wallet. Not your taxes, your spending money, big difference there...

This is not something to be blown off. It is an issue that is as serious as they come. Sustainable agriculture is required for humans to stay on this planet.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
SoMDBeekeeper
Organically Managed Beekeeping Podcast

Last edited:

Go G-Men

No, I don't think there are.

Insect pollunation is responsible for 1 out of 3 bites of food YOU put in your mouth.

Colony Collapse Disorder has been killing 1/3rd of ALL colonies in the United States for the last three years straight. The rate is unsustainable. Commercial beekeepers are going under and the feral bee colonies in this country are all but extinct.

Vegetables, fruits, nuts, some grains etc etc etc are insect pollunated. Not to mention the food consumed by cows to support the dairy industry.

Imagine what your grocery bill is going to be like when the honeybee populations get too low to meet demand. Its going to hit YOU directly in your wallet. Not your taxes, your spending money, big difference there...

This is not something to be blown off. It is an issue that is as serious as they come. Sustainable agriculture is required for humans to stay on this planet.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
SoMDBeekeeper
Organically Managed Beekeeping Podcast

Although I am certain I know less about bees and pollination than you do... I still think spending $150,000.00 a year on this (at a state level) is just plain crazy... People are hurting and the economy is hurting and there are better things to spend that money on..

SoMDBeekeeper

Although I am certain I know less about bees and pollination than you do... I still think spending $150,000.00 a year on this (at a state level) is just plain crazy... People are hurting and the economy is hurting and there are better things to spend that money on..

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, fair enough.

The way I see it, a better focus would be what exactly are they going to spend that money on to HELP the bees. We don't need more research grants into CCD. We need programs to get more people into beekeeping in their backyards. There has been a steady decline in beekeepers in Maryland. We have about half of what we had in 1985.

Regards,
SoMDBeekeeper
Organically Managed Beekeeping Podcast and Blog