Schools

SeaRide

Originally posted by cariblue

You've been where , as a student and now as a parent? I'm afraid you've lost me.

And inappropriate resources is just another reason for them to not be in public schools.

Been to public school as a disabled student. Now I am a disabled parent of two normal kids. Sometimes, parents of disabled kids asked me about who to contact, where can they research for information about schools etc. They have to decide whether to send their kids to special needs school with dorm which is 5 hrs drive from home.

SeaRide

Re: Were you educated in Calvert or St. Mary's?

Originally posted by RoseRed
because you're writing skills sure don't sound very educated.

Special needs kids already got the rights to equal public education just like any norma l kids, like it or not.

My kids has been in school since '94.

I could go on....

Well, excuse my writing skills as I am tired and didn't bother to proofread what I type.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Were you educated in Calvert or St. Mary's?

Originally posted by SeaRide

Well, excuse my writing skills as I am tired and didn't bother to proofread what I type.
It was just a question. I am now off to school myself.

Lovely evening to all :biggrin:

SeaRide

You said your coworkers told you things. I'm sure your sister (sister-in-law?) can't speak for all of the schools in the county. If she was really sharing on a level field, she would have also told you how crappy some of the private schools are (or, so I've heard).

I agreed with you on that. I know that my sister-in-law can't speak for all of the schools in the county. She works on the curriculum for the school every year. I forget what else she does beside being a teacher.

know, I don't socialize with them. Most of them are gossips with nothing better to do than bash and trash.

I had to laugh at this one. Yes, I do get sick of hearing gossips.

SeaRide

SeaRide, let me give you another example of why special needs students should not be in public schools. My daughter comes home and complains about trying to function in a normal atmosphere with students who can't function in that environment. It's very difficult for her to try and participate with these students on equal ground. They are not equal.

This is the same daughter that volunteers her time to work with these same special needs students on her own time.

What's wrong with this picture?

I have heard this same old song for years. There is no perfect solutions for this situation. My son can't function with a disruptive kid in the class. That's another story.. but I hope you know what I mean.

blueeyes76

Wait a minute here...ignorant opinion? I believe I am entitled to my own opinion, I never once called you ignorant or said your opinions were ignorant. I never said specials needs children don't have any RIGHT in public schools. I PERSONALLY do not believe they should be in a public school where they won't receive the proper attention they need. I grew up with a guy who was confined to a wheel chair, he attended public school with me, but he was capable of comprehending and didn't require any special attention from the teachers. Next time, please ask me what I mean before you go saying my opinions are ignorant.

And...you should pay attention to your grammar and spelling when communicating about EDUCATION.

SeaRide

Now we're getting somewhere. As a disable person yourself, would you not agree that there are varying degrees of disablity? And as such, do you think that any disabililty should (not talking about rights, here) be in public schools?
Bingo! When you say "varying degrees of disability", that was the words I was trying to express before but you hit it right on the nose.

Okay, I think we are getting somewhere here. Let me use the word like "severed" disabled .. I think those kids with very severed disabilities like a combo of deaf-blind or mentally challenged-blind that are behind in education should go to special needs school. Again, that's my opinion. I have seen it happened.

SeaRide

Originally posted by blueeyes76
Wait a minute here...ignorant opinion? I believe I am entitled to my own opinion, I never once called you ignorant or said your opinions were ignorant. I never said specials needs children don't have any RIGHT in public schools. I PERSONALLY do not believe they should be in a public school where they won't receive the proper attention they need. I grew up with a guy who was confined to a wheel chair, he attended public school with me, but he was capable of comprehending and didn't require any special attention from the teachers. Next time, please ask me what I mean before you go saying my opinions are ignorant.

And...you should pay attention to your grammar and spelling when communicating about EDUCATION.
ok .. ok .. ok .. :notworthy Now you are making yourself clear. I must have misunderstood the first time. I guess I was using the wrong choice of word like "ignorant". I must be tired so obviously I am not thinking straight so pardon me. Yes, you are right about pay attention to my grammar and spelling when the subject is about EDUCATION.

blueeyes76

ok .. ok .. ok .. Now you are making yourself clear. I must have misunderstood the first time. I guess I was using the wrong choice of word like "ignorant". I must be tired so obviously I am not thinking straight so pardon me. Yes, you are right about pay attention to my grammar and spelling when the subject is about EDUCATION.

Thank You! I do understand where you were coming from and how you could possibly take offense to what I was saying.

SeaRide

Now, about the St Mary's county public schools. Just the facts, please.

I never said that I have facts about St Mary's county public schools. If I did use the word facts, then I must have meant to say "opinion" or "what I know". My apologies.

SeaRide

Originally posted by blueeyes76

Thank You! I do understand where you were coming from and how you could possibly take offense to what I was saying.

Thanks. When someone says something like "special needs kids should not be in public school" and I was like "what?! excuse me!"
But I had to step back and think long and hard. I try to understand your perspective on this. So, I am cool with what you're saying.

blueeyes76

Well, I'm glad we're on the same page Sea. Like I said, I can see why you would take that the wrong way, next time just ask :wink:

I don't believe you ever actually said "facts", but that's what Cari and I were trying to get through to you. What you hear from other people isn't always the truth.

SeaRide

My experience with St. Mary's county schools has, for the most part, been positive. I've had my run-ins, just like at schools elsewhere. It's impossible to not have problems. I've had to light a few fires under some butt's to get what I require out of some teachers. Overall, I've been quite satisfied. And for the rest of the student body...they're not a bunch of idiots wandering the halls like zombies. They're bright kids. Where do you think they got that?[/i]

I agree with you on that part since it's the same way with Calvert.
Maybe you should tell your gossipy coworkers that they don't know what they're talking about. And, I think your sis-in-law was probably making a poor generalization.
I guess my sister-in-law was comparing Calvert and St.Marys since she was student at Calvert public school system and work at St Marys. Yeah she could be making a poor generalization. I am sure she does enjoy working for St Marys school.

SmallTown

Football season!
Wow, I don't read a thread for a day and all heck breaks loose.

One thing that has been brought to my attention is the "special needs" issue. I guess this is another thing I'm just not used to being an issue. Going back as far as I can remember, we always had "special needs" kids in our public schools. We also had "special need" teachers who would handle their education separate from the other kids in their own classes. Their education was not lacking, and would be allowed to go to the "standard" classrooms as long as they were well behaved, but for the most part they liked the one-on-one contact they had in their special classes. . For those in wheelchairs, they went to a different class or study hall during gym if they were not able to perform the activities.

From the notion that many classes that are options in Maryland were required where I went to school, and the handling ( or lack there of) of special needs kids, I must say I am disappointed in the Maryland school system.

I believe it was cariblue (sorry if i got the wrong person, there were a lot of posts!) that mentioned things were ok in the public schools after they lit some fires under some people's butts.. This is exactly the attitude we need from parents as a whole. I think if parents demanded more from their children AND their school systems, things could be a lot better. Unfortunately, many parents either don't care to do this or are just too busy to deal with it.