Schools

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by BchBns

but he doesn't tutor spelling!! :biggrin:

j/k heretic ... :wink:
ingilsh might not be his strong point, but I'm not worried about that..... :biggrin:

:kiss: Heretic

SeaRide

Don't forget something like commitments...

SmallTown

*sigh*.. I don't know if I should say this or not .. but I feel I got to say something about St.Mary's school system. First of all, I have heard quite a lot from folks here on the navy base, my friends and family relatives. My sis-in-law works at one of the school in St.Marys. My sis-in-law's best friend teaches at private school in Charles County.

Anyway let me get to the point here .. in summary, people in Calvert are more committed to education for the kids .. simple as that. I don't know about St.Marys folks ..

I 'll throw the "so-called" facts here and let you figure this out.

Most military officers told me that they sent their kids to private school instead of St.Marys public school for better education regardless of what religion they are whether they are CATHOLIC or not. Why? I dunno. Keep in mind that SOME or MOST of the military families tends to move around the country alot.

Most of the folks who are on the board of education for St Mary school send their kids to private school. Why? I dunno.

There are alot of private schools in St. Marys than Calvert. Why? I dunno.

My sis-in-law told me that Calvert ranked 2nd behind Montgomery and ahead of Queen Anne ( in eastern shore) when it comes to quality of education for kids AND number of kids in class to teacher ( the ratio thing)

My sis-in-law's best friend herself as a teacher move her kids from public school to private school where she works. Why? Too many reasons to list here about how bad that public school is.

I have noticed how many Catholic families there are in St.Marys and I have nothing against Catholic or whatever religions. I let you guess which school they send their kids to.. private or public??

Do you think those folks who send kids to private school give any damn about public school system in St.Marys ?? If you dont get it, you dont get it.

Who give a damn about public school? if you say Board of Education does, I dont think so while they are sending their kids to private school. I heard this from folks in the school system. If you heard different, that's fine with me.

I know folks pay taxes for school in St.Marys but what's missing is the commitments and concerns as they could voice their concerns to county board of education, politicians, and the likes.

My sis-in-law would rather teach in Calvert but when St.Marys county offered her a good deal in salary and so forth. She couldn't turn it down so she end up working at St.Marys school.
So I can see that St.Marys school system is not giving up to give good education to the kids by getting good teachers. But at the same time, there are not-so-good teachers in St.Marys school when I hear stories from the mothers and fathers here on the Naval base.

I better stop now and let my fingers rest from typing ahead without thinking first.. :blushing:

SeaRide

Re: Re: Don't forget something like commitments...

Originally posted by cariblue

Perhaps you're right, you should stop typing. You claim to present facts, but all I see is misguided heresay.

I have a child in public school in St. Mary's and she's doing great.

Sounds like a bunch of snooty officers wives that you're getting your 411 from.

I have two kids in public school in Calvert and they are doing great.

blueeyes76

You missed cari's point completely Sea! The issue wasn't Calvert County public schools, but St. Mary's. You're in Calvert and trashing St. Mary's based on what you've HEARD from one person who has HEARD it from other people.

SeaRide

You got it all wrong.. I did think about moving to St.Marys and still do. If you want real facts, talk to the parents who have kids with autism, kids who are mentally challenged, and hearing-impaired kids. Been there, done that.

blueeyes76

Well, maybe I am wrong, but children with severe learning and mental disabilities do not belong in the public or private school systems. They belong in a special school that has the resources to properly educate them.

SeaRide

Originally posted by blueeyes76
You missed cari's point completely Sea! The issue wasn't Calvert County public schools, but St. Mary's. You're in Calvert and trashing St. Mary's based on what you've HEARD from one person who has HEARD it from other people.

Yeah I rather missed Cari's point completely and answer SmallTown with what I know about StMarys and Calvert. I can't say about Charles Co. cuz I dont know much. I am in St.Marys most of the week ( five days a week working , duh) and I am surrounded with parents that are civilians/military/contractors.

SeaRide

Originally posted by blueeyes76
Well, maybe I am wrong, but children with severe learning and mental disabilities do not belong in the public or private school systems. They belong in a special school that has the resources to properly educate them.

I am shocked to hear this.

You have no clue about Section 504, right?

How about American with Disability Acts 1990?

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't forget something like commitments...

I guess that backs up your statement rather well. Great defense. I really thought a challenge might compell you to come back with real facts.

Thank you, blueeyes. I wouldn't want anyone to think I was just being a CIB. :wink:

OH GRACIOUS! dont get me started on this school thing again. St. Mary's has some fine schools. Cari's daughter goes to the same one I graduated from and is excelling just fine.

Now...to get off of cari's comment...

Here-say is not solid proof of anything. I do believe that they admirals, captians or whatever they are send them to a private school also, because they have let their status get to their heads (ie: what cari said in reference to snotty noses.)

Plain and simple, Calvert County pays more, than any other of the tri-county areas...so therefore, they can probably afford each child to have a sit down tutor right next to them in every class (that is my snobby remark right there) But it is true, that is why they have a better scoring system, because there have been teachers in that particular system, that have been there for a while, according to the pay, and have learned how to weed out the good and bad.

Does that mean, that just because the newer teachers are in the other counties are bad? No, NEVER. One day I will be in their exact shoes. But the areas, that need to be addressed are not the system, but rather the teachers that dont give a darn or the parents who are not involved in any way.

I highly recommend what Ken said, long before. I would like to see the parents actually take these tests that determine the "good" of these schools. And see if they could even get an ounce of them right. Very slim to none. Also, must I reiterate that the children have to be motivated and have to make an effort. If they are shown that their education is bothersome in their eyes..they will fall on the brink that gives those certain schools those quotas.

We have been on this before, and if I need to comment on it all again, I will.

My personal beliefs on why the Private schools are so many in the St. Marys area, is because of the history that falls in this place. But that just my conclusion on that. Not a basis on statisic's

SeaRide

what is it that shocks you? Her opinion that special needs children shouldn't be in public schools? An opinion has nothing to do with the above.

Actually, that would be our opinion.

Yeah.. more like ignorance-opinion. Special needs kids already got the rights to equal public education just like any normal kids, like it or not.

SeaRide

I'm on the base, too. I also live in St Mary's. My kid has been in school here since '94. I'll tell ya', these schools aren't any worse than DoD schools. And that's from experience.

Question: How many kids do you have in school?

I have two kids in school. My kids has been in school since '94.

First of all, I never meant to trash St. Marys school period. I mean the St.Marys schools here are not ranked the worse at all and it's really a common sense ( to me at least...) SmallTown was asking this and that about St.Mary being ranked this way blah blah .. so I thought I could give my opinion based on the knowledge that I have whether you like it or not.

SeaRide

No, it's not ignorance. I have a nephew that's a special needs student. He has always done better in schools for special needs students because he wasn't busy concerning himself with ridicule. I don't deny that they have a right to a public education, I've just seen it in action.

Well, that's your opinion. I have been there as a STUDENT and now I am a parent. I know what it is like. I've known friends who went to special needs school because they can't make it thru in public school with inappropriate resources.

SeaRide

I didn't say I didn't like it. And your more than welcome to your opinion. But you did in fact bash st mary's public schools based on rumor from people you work with. In your first post, you said "fact". So I guess this last post was a retraction?

What rumor? My sis-in-law works for St.Marys school system.

Does most of your coworkers who grew up here in St.Marys sent kids to public school? I know lot of my coworkers who grew up here in St. Marys sent kids to public school. To me, that's typical.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Were you educated in Calvert or St. Mary's?

because you're writing skills sure don't sound very educated.

Special needs kids already got the rights to equal public education just like any norma l kids, like it or not.

My kids has been in school since '94.

I could go on....

Last edited: