Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott Shows True Segregationist Colors

MGKrebs

endangered species
We are so far afield of

where I think we should be, i have trouble seeing a way out.

To me, deterrence has worked for 55 years. I trust that it can continue to work. I know this is risky, but I also believe that we cannot possibly prevent every other country on the planet from getting nukes ( or WMD's) forever into the future. I don't think we can scare them into submission with threats.

We have gone out of our way to define certain countries as enemies. I guess we could now try to negotiate with them, but it wouldn't feel like much of a negotiation to them, knowing we can only accept one outcome.

I know this will be a bit radical for some of you, but I believe that it is a distinct possibilty that this was the same scenario pre- 9/11. We threatened the taliban, they chose to fight instead of submit.

Yes, the taliban are all but gone. But North Korea is not the taliban. And neither is Iran, for that matter.

We are mixing up a b*tches brew that we may have to drink someday.

H

Heretic

Paper Clip

It means there is a file attached somewhere in the thread, just like in an email.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
To me, deterrence has worked for 55 years.
You better tell that to the 9-11 victims.

I don't think we can scare them into submission with threats.
You're right about that - at some point we're going to have to take action. I hope that time is now. I'd like to see world peace in my lifetime but it's not going to happen until these freaks are reigned in.

We have gone out of our way to define certain countries as enemies. I guess we could now try to negotiate with them, but it wouldn't feel like much of a negotiation to them, knowing we can only accept one outcome.
Yes - that they quit torturing their citizens, quit threatening other nations, get over their destructive religious zealotry and a few other minor points. WE have not defined them as enemies - THEY have defined THEMSELVES as enemies by their actions. Let's just put the responsibility where it belongs, shall we?

MGKrebs

endangered species
Originally posted by vraiblonde
You better tell that to the 9-11 victims.

I'm uncomfortable with revenge driving our foreign policy.

H

Heretic

I think America showed major restraint, we are trying to make sure it never happens again. If revenge is what we really wanted we could have just nuked someone.