Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott Shows True Segregationist Colors

H

Heretic

Originally posted by demsformd
it was the thing that all white males in West Viriginia did.

No it wasn't

Im from WV as is my whole family and nobody in my family was ever in the Klan, there was actually very little Klan activity in WV when compared to states like Ind and Ill (the most Klan activity occured in these two states in the 1900's)

You might be suprised to find that most "backwoods" places have much less racism than more populated areas.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde

Ya'll should have thought about how it would make you look before you voted that idiot into office. Ya lie down with dogs, ya wake up with fleas - nome sane?

The other way as well, these people who went off on clinton are the ones trying to protect Lott.. Both sides are equally miserable.. Once we all realize that, it will be much better.. I just wish each side would just deal in the present.. When Clinton was in office and doing all of his stuff, the dems would retaliate with things that Bush Sr. and Reagan did (Still blows my mind that Sr. won a war, and still couldn't get re-elected, but that is a different thread.).. And now that a republican is in the hot seat, the republicans start bringing up Clinton again.. What Reagan and Sr. did didn't make what clinton did look any better.. and what clinton did isn't going to make Lott look any better.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Heretic
No it wasn't

Im from WV as is my whole family and nobody in my family was ever in the Klan, there was actually very little Klan activity in WV when compared to states like Ind and Ill (the most Klan activity occured in these two states in the 1900's)

You might be suprised to find that most "backwoods" places have much less racism than more populated areas.

Well, I agree and diasgree with that.. One of the reasons some of the backwoods areas don't appear to be racist is because all the blacks and other minorities are gone already..

I am from the mountains in SW virginia, so I am familiar with the ideas of that area.. While in highschool I worked one summer for a demolition company.. I was 1 of 2 white guys on the whole crew.. Some of the stories they had were incredible.. One story was when they had to do a job in the great town of Grundy... They showed up one afternoonm had dinner and went to bed. The next morning they get up and on the hood of their trucks was a noose for every single one of them, and a note saying " Ns, get out or you will find your own neck in a noose"

They didn't bother to stay to find out if it would happen.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The first time I ever saw real racism in my life was at the age of 23 when I moved to Maryland. It was pretty shocking to me. Before that I always thought it was just stories that people made up for the newspapers. I never even heard anyone say the word "******" in real life until I moved to Maryland.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
The first time I ever saw real racism in my life was at the age of 23 when I moved to Maryland. It was pretty shocking to me. Before that I always thought it was just stories that people made up for the newspapers. I never even heard anyone say the word "******" in real life until I moved to Maryland.

Vrai, my first time was when I was stationed in the 70's in Mississippi, going to a technical school. Three of us rented a car that day, and were cruisin' Biloxi later on that night, when we spotted a car going the other way with about 4 or 5 guys wearing white outfits, and sheet-like headpieces coming to a point on top! They headed off down this field where a huge fire was burning. We did not think it was wise to follow them.
I've never forgotten that night.

penn

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He better make this right or step down, that's all I've got to say. Apparently his party members and President Bush have been really giving him the business about this. Good for them!

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
He better make this right or step down, that's all I've got to say. ...
Let's say this outright!

There is NOTHING he can say "to make this right" that will appease those bothered by it, so what we're really talking about is him resigning to end the flack.

NP... NOW the Demmies need to trot Byrd, Maxine and others out to recieve the ax as well!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Trotting Out Losers

Originally posted by Kyle
Let's say this outright!

There is NOTHING he can say "to make this right" that will appease those bothered by it, so what we're really talking about is him resigning to end the flack.

NP... NOW the Demmies need to trot Byrd, Maxine and others out to recieve the ax as well!

:cool: Nice idea Kyle, what are the chances that would ever happen? What makes you think the Dems would ever find the Chutzpah to do that?

penn

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm bothered and he could appease me. If he's sincere and offers a real apology. Otherwise he can KMA and get the hell out.

We shouldn't hold our Republican representatives to Democrat standards. We're either better than them or we're not. When we counter unattractive things the Republicans do with "Well, THE DEMOCRATS did it!" that makes us the same little slimeballs they are. Yes, if we hold our guys accountable for their actions we might lose a few of them. But good riddance, I say. We're either going to take the high road or we're not.

Edit: Let me retract the first paragraph. It's too late. Even if he's REALLY REALLY sorry, too bad. The damage is done. The best the Republican party can do right now to salvage their reputation is to make him step down.

I'm really angry that Lott would put the Reps in this position by opening his fat mouth. But I'm glad he did it - lets us know what we're dealing with here.

MGKrebs

endangered species
Not my battle, but...

I agree with vrai. If I was a repub, I would want him out. It's probably the right thing to do ethically, since there is now a question about his attitude, but it's surely the right thing to do politically. The only way dems get any traction on this is if he stays in that job.

Kyle, you seem to think that the damage would be worse if he quits. I disagree. If he steps down, this story ends tomorrow. Otherwise, I suspect this will linger. Also, so what if he steps down? You put somebody else in there and move on. Big deal.

Perhaps we are talking about a suitable punishment for this "crime". Is apology enough? Stepping down doesn't really seem that drastic.

Personally, I don't care. I don't know if he's really racist or not. His peers and colleagues will have to figure that out. If he doesn't step down, it's kind of a win for dems, because they will never let him forget this. If he does step down, dems get to say, what? Dem's gain nothing by him stepping down. This is no political battle. It's not like a dem gets to take the job. This is all just Trent screwing up.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Lott now saying

Originally posted by MGKrebs
he will not resign his post, just further explanation. (from cnn.com)

:rolleyes: You are right MGKrebs, it looks as though Sen. Lott is going to take a "wait and see" kind of attitude. Some folks are privately hoping this furor will eventually die down. We'll see.
Vrai, originally I was opposed to your thinking for a variety of reasons, but one issue is coming to the forefront: the Senate Majority Leader is a power slot, no question. But it's more than that, too; He's also got to be a negotiator between both parties on issues such as Welfare, Affirmative Action, First Amendment Rights, and so forth. If this current bruhaha doesn't go away, then his ability as a negotiator may be terminally damaged. Therefore, it may be in the party's best interest to select another person for the position.
So, who would be next in line?

penn

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Re: Not my battle, but...

Originally posted by MGKrebs
... Kyle, you seem to think that the damage would be worse if he quits. I disagree. If he steps down, this story ends tomorrow. Otherwise, I suspect this will linger. Also, so what if he steps down? You put somebody else in there and move on. Big deal.

Perhaps we are talking about a suitable punishment for this "crime". Is apology enough? Stepping down doesn't really seem that drastic. ...
First

This isn't about him stepping down and the subject being over. This is about driving him out of office to lessen the GOP number. Period. That makes Lott - Move #1

Stepping down from ML will not end this attack. Only his removal from the senate will quiet it... At least for a week or so.

Step two will come when they find the next item on their list, one I'm certain they've already made. Democraps are good at playing politics. I'll give them that.

DEMOCRATS WON'T LET IT END HERE! Period

SmallTown

Football season!
Ya know, it is kinda funny people point the finger at the dems saying they are trying to exploit what has happened for their political gain.. Well, if Lott had no given such public material to work with, there would not be an issue..

And in a related story.. Word has it the press conference tonight is a pseudo fashion show, with the catwalk featuring new clansman white robes by Versace, Ralph Lauren, and Donna Karen.. They are bringing the clansman up to a more mainstream look. The new robe by Ralph Lauren seems to be the current favorite, sporting three pockets that come filled with crosses already dipped in gasoline and a new silver-plated KKK lighter with the logo engraved on the side.

demsformd

Lott is gonna resign I think tonight. His status though can jeopardize the position of Bush. Blacks are having a field day with this one. And how about the whole opposition to integrating his fraternity while in college? Interesting...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dems, don't you have a pep rally disguised as a funeral to go to? :bubble:

Blacks are having a field day with this one.
Which ones? Or do you still think all blacks are alike?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well. I'm not appeased. Although Larry and I did have good fun with Mr. Lott's little song and dance.

As to his BET appearance next week - :roflmao:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
The Power of Persuasion

Originally posted by Biscuit
Dont your Mean Find An Intern! She'll Change the Bottom of your Desk!

:rolleyes: Biscuit, I was rereading some of the comments our Dumb, I mean Democratic pals have made and have come to the conclusion that neither a woman, nor an intern,
ala Slick Willie, would do much for them. Perhaps it is because they are of a different persuasion. I will leave it at that.

penn