Shanahan, Redskins Agree to Deal

thurley42

HY;FR
He also had no defense (gave up 26 pts/game) and not much of a running attack (ranked 88th in total yards). Their 21 point performance against Navy was basically their worst offensive outting of the season...everyone can have a bad day now and then. He only threw 1 INT.

#3 QB pass efficiency (behind Tebow and Kellen Moore), #4 in total yards, #8 in TDs, tied for 129th in the country in INTs thrown, and basically did great in all passing statistics for the season. The schedule wasn't that great, but some of them were good defenses and he still performed well.

I'm not a Clausen fan, but the stats speak for themselves. He had a good year, has a better arm than any of the guys you mentioned, and deserves to be mentioned as a possibility for the top QB. Will he be good in the NFL? Hell if I know. I hope not! The Redskins would be making a mistake if they picked him up. Then again, all of the top QBs coming out this year are questionable. I'm sure some of them will turn out just fine.

I hope the Redskins draft him...that would be a match made in heaven....

Beta84

They're out to get us

I always like Wilbon's commentary.

And it's not like we don't have a book on Shanahan the talent evaluator: He's bad at it. Like Joe Gibbs, Shanahan is one helluva coach but not particularly insightful as a talent evaluator. In fact, the record already shows Shanahan drafted bust after bust after bust in an effort to fix the defense when he was coach in Denver. Even Elvis Dumerville was drafted to play the wrong position and became an All-Pro after Shanahan departed. Shanahan the personnel man undermined Shanahan the coach so badly, he was fired after twice not making the playoffs.

I remember someone who really wanted Shanahan in the Bill Parcells role and I can't help but feel vindicated a little bit by that excerpt :lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Good thing that Mike Shanahan has a clause in his contract stating that he has the final say on all football related decisions. If Snyder wants to overrule him, he'd have to fire him.

So essentially this move is about the best move the Redskins could have possibly made. Football decisions are now in the hands of the football people. Snyder will pay the money (especially in the upcoming uncapped season) so the Skins will have a nice shot at being competitive next year if the right free agents are available.
Also of note during the press conference...

1) The Super Bowl trophies weren't on display. The dawn of a new era.

2) Dan Snyder wasn't at the podium for once. Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan will be the guys in charge as they were the two in the spotlight, not Snyder.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I remember someone who really wanted Shanahan in the Bill Parcells role and I can't help but feel vindicated a little bit by that excerpt :lol:
Well, now he is. Let's see what happens and if "vindication" rears it's head again.:lol:

Beta84

They're out to get us
I'm hoping O-line with the top five pick.

Hard to miss there.
Agreed -- if the top OT is available at 5 he's a must draft for the Skins.

Well, now he is. Let's see what happens and if "vindication" rears it's head again.:lol:
I was speaking more along the lines of past performance. People were saying he did a good job with personnel in Denver, but that's why he was fired. :shrug:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Agreed -- if the top OT is available at 5 he's a must draft for the Skins.

I was speaking more along the lines of past performance. People were saying he did a good job with personnel in Denver, but that's why he was fired. :shrug:
However, he was only in that position for a mere two seasons. That isn't nearly enough time to evaluate young raw talent. Dumerville out of position? Perhaps.

Perhaps he just put it all together this year.

We'll find out a little more in April.

Beta84

They're out to get us
However, he was only in that position for a mere two seasons. That isn't nearly enough time to evaluate young raw talent. Dumerville out of position? Perhaps.

Perhaps he just put it all together this year.

We'll find out a little more in April.

The Broncos got worse due in large part to the draft picks and free agent acquisitions and losses during his tenure. However, at least the team has a GM...I think he was acting GM in Denver. So he's more going to approve the decisions of the GM than make them.

Peter Forsberg

Snyder has you Skins fans so fooled. Make sure you fill the stadium next season and buy lot's of beers so Snyder can laugh all the way to the bank. After the fourth game of the season can I have me some season tickets............just like last season??? :popcorn:

We can't get any lower so hopefully a good move. As long as Danny boy write checks and keeps his hands out of operations, then it WILL be a goo move.

It doesn't matter who they hire. It could be Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells or Vince Lombardi - as long as Dan Snyder is in CONTROL, the position of head coach is pointless.

You are smart, and purty! :love:

Hopefully hiring Allen as a GM, a title he has not given out since he has owned the team, maybe signals he is giving control to someone to run the operations. If he is going to spend $35 million on a coach you would HOPE he understands this. :crossingfingers:

Beta84

They're out to get us
We can't get any lower so hopefully a good move.
Sure it could. You could be the Rams, Lions, Chiefs, Browns, Raiders or any of those other garbage teams I forgot about that have been mired in mediocrity for years. At least the Skins were 8-8 last season.

From what I've been hearing and reading, Campbell will be here next year.

Sorry Pete.:lol:
The only other option I can see if drafting a QB. Picking up Pennington, with your speed receivers, would be a disaster...and there's no other semi decent option right now that I saw on the FA list.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Sure it could. You could be the Rams, Lions, Chiefs, Browns, Raiders or any of those other garbage teams I forgot about that have been mired in mediocrity for years. At least the Skins were 8-8 last season.

The only other option I can see if drafting a QB. Picking up Pennington, with your speed receivers, would be a disaster...and there's no other semi decent option right now that I saw on the FA list.
Just a guess...

I'm thinking we keep Campbell for at least a year, perhaps more depending on performance in this system. We bring in some other goober vet QB as back-up. We may draft some competition this year but not in the first round.