Shanahan, Redskins Agree to Deal

BuddyLee

Football addict
While I'm aware that Andre Johnson was pretty damn good before Kyle got to the Texans, the offense he uses made Johnson a top-tier WR. Given enough time with him, I could easily see Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas excelling.
I'm more excited about seeing the production from the TE's flourish.

Owen Daniels before a top 5 TE under Shanahan. Hello Fred Davis and Cooley!

OldHillcrestGuy

I'm hoping O-line with the top five pick.

Hard to miss there.

Its a #4 pick.

Unfortunatly Cooley is good trade bait for a top draft pick, late first round or 2nd and a 3rd rounder.
Gotta look at money wise Cooley makes big $$$, Davis not as many $$, Davis finally came on after Cooley got hurt.

Im thinking Campbell stays, nothing any better out there, maybe one year or 2 year deal.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Its a #4 pick.

Unfortunatly Cooley is good trade bait for a top draft pick, late first round or 2nd and a 3rd rounder.
Gotta look at money wise Cooley makes big $$$, Davis not as many $$, Davis finally came on after Cooley got hurt.

Im thinking Campbell stays, nothing any better out there, maybe one year or 2 year deal.

I don't see Cooley going anywhere. One of the things that Shanahan said is that the team is going to be disciplined. Cooley is one of the guys that defines Shanahan's requirements. Yes, he can be cooky at times, but the guy is a 110% team player, and with what looks like no cap next year, the money doesn't play too big of a factor.
I do see Portis going bye bye, though.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I don't see Cooley going anywhere. One of the things that Shanahan said is that the team is going to be disciplined. Cooley is one of the guys that defines Shanahan's requirements. Yes, he can be cooky at times, but the guy is a 110% team player, and with what looks like no cap next year, the money doesn't play too big of a factor.
I do see Portis going bye bye, though.
If it's an uncapped year Portis willl be gone. I'll bet my left nut.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I heard Sage Rosenfels as a potential #2 qb. He was with Kyle S @ Houston so he's familiar with the scheme.

Davis is not ready to be a #1 te 47 is going nowhere as a trade. Instead of trading an all pro te how about trading with down with SF or putting together a package of deadwood?

Beta84

They're out to get us
Just a guess...

I'm thinking we keep Campbell for at least a year, perhaps more depending on performance in this system. We bring in some other goober vet QB as back-up. We may draft some competition this year but not in the first round.
probably a good guess. like you said, OL is the main concern and i think shanahan will focus there first. if campbell is willing to stay he probably will. it's a shame that for an uncapped year, there is almost no QB talent available.

I'm more excited about seeing the production from the TE's flourish.

Owen Daniels before a top 5 TE under Shanahan. Hello Fred Davis and Cooley!
yeah...they will tear it up next year. book it

If it's an uncapped year Portis willl be gone. I'll bet my left nut.

why? shanahan loves portis. he was traded because he had other guys and a good line...but he might keep portis, especially if it's uncapped...unless he can nab a guy like ronnie brown.

BuddyLee

Football addict
why? shanahan loves portis. he was traded because he had other guys and a good line...but he might keep portis, especially if it's uncapped...unless he can nab a guy like ronnie brown.
Too much drama for what he's worth anymore.

Granted, he's a top 10 back when healthy. I'm not sure how many more years he has left in him. If the Redskins were smart they'd do what the Iggles did with Dawkins. Trade him while he's still worth a little something yet only has a few more years in him.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Too much drama for what he's worth anymore.

Granted, he's a top 10 back when healthy. I'm not sure how many more years he has left in him. If the Redskins were smart they'd do what the Iggles did with Dawkins. Trade him while he's still worth a little something yet only has a few more years in him.

trade him if he has value, but due to the injury i'm not sure how much value he has. i have a feeling shanahan will keep him for a season, watch him explode, then trade him if there is value added.

angelbaby

Also of note during the press conference...

1) The Super Bowl trophies weren't on display. The dawn of a new era.

2) Dan Snyder wasn't at the podium for once. Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan will be the guys in charge as they were the two in the spotlight, not Snyder.

:yay:

trade him if he has value, but due to the injury i'm not sure how much value he has. i have a feeling shanahan will keep him for a season, watch him explode, then trade him if there is value added.

You really believe he was "injured" enough to go on the IR list? I think the only part of him that was injured was his ego. I think his teammates are sick of him and his :drama:

This Portis ignites war of words with Campbell over QB's ability to lead is what Portis was doing while the head coaching position was being filled...Drama, Drama, Drama go home to your mama :drama: :lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
People were saying he did a good job with personnel in Denver, but that's why he was fired. :shrug:
Perhaps Denver was wrong. Every Denver fan who I've talked to recently mentions the same.

Upon a little research his drafts haven't looked that bad either.

Denver Broncos Draft History, Stats and more on databaseFootball.com

Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal, Kory Lichtensteiger and Peyton Hills were all confident starters in his 2008 draft class.

The team only had four picks in 2007. However, Ryan Harris and Marcus Thomas are starters in the league for late picks.

2006 could go down as one of the greatest drafts in Broncos history. Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumerville, Domenik Hixon, Chris Kuper and Greg Eslinger.

Shawn

Agreed -- if the top OT is available at 5 he's a must draft for the Skins.

I was speaking more along the lines of past performance. People were saying he did a good job with personnel in Denver, but that's why he was fired. :shrug:
I'm not sure that I agree with that. The top OT isn't necessarily a "have to have" type of pick, just the top guy. We could def have a value pick in a guy like Charles Brown; one lineman isn't going to change our issue one bit. It's going to be hard to have a worse line than last year and a number 4 pick isn't the only way to approach the line issue.

Shawn

Its a #4 pick.

More like Davis finally came out after given a chance. This kid can honestly be a top 3 TE if he continues to get that chance. Cooley is an all-around badass but Davis beats him in athleticism no doubt; it will be a very sad day if Cooley ever leaves DC, but I'd understand that more than shipping Davis off.

Also, no need for a new contract for Campbell unless some other teams picks him up off of our tender.

Shawn

I heard Sage Rosenfels as a potential #2 qb. He was with Kyle S @ Houston so he's familiar with the scheme.

Davis is not ready to be a #1 te 47 is going nowhere as a trade. Instead of trading an all pro te how about trading with down with SF or putting together a package of deadwood?
A redskins draft pick at that.. he has a strong chance to be brought in to provide the "competition" that Shanahan wants at QB

Shawn

don't be so sure of that

shanahan doesn't like that attitude and he's had several comments regarding portis and team situations

Beta84

They're out to get us
I'm not sure that I agree with that. The top OT isn't necessarily a "have to have" type of pick, just the top guy. We could def have a value pick in a guy like Charles Brown; one lineman isn't going to change our issue one bit. It's going to be hard to have a worse line than last year and a number 4 pick isn't the only way to approach the line issue.

The lines are the core of a team. This is especially true with Shanahan, who made nobody RBs into 1000 yard runners because of his lines in Denver. The team needs an OL. You don't go for a "value pick" in later rounds or any of that crap. You get the BEST PLAYER when you can. Value pick means "lesser player". If you get a bunch of "value picks" then you lose out on the best of the best. The Skins need the best of the best to turn their line around.