Shanahan, Redskins Agree to Deal

OldHillcrestGuy

IMO Skins should draft 2 offensive linemen with their first two picks. Or at least get a O lineman from free agency to go with the OL they draft.

I don't see Cooley going anywhere. One of the things that Shanahan said is that the team is going to be disciplined. Cooley is one of the guys that defines Shanahan's requirements. Yes, he can be cooky at times, but the guy is a 110% team player, and with what looks like no cap next year, the money doesn't play too big of a factor.
I do see Portis going bye bye, though.

Every coach that has been there since Cooley has been around has always stated he is the pillar of what a professional player should be. Excellent off and on season practice habits - you could not ask for a better model. I see him staying and becoming a team captain.

I see Portis being put out to pasture especially after the shots from the mouth he has had the past few days. He is an excellent back and can block like no ones business but has been VERY lack-luster the past couple of years, especially under Zorn...

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Every coach that has been there since Cooley has been around has always stated he is the pillar of what a professional player should be. Excellent off and on season practice habits - you could not ask for a better model. I see him staying and becoming a team captain.

I see Portis being put out to pasture especially after the shots from the mouth he has had the past few days. He is an excellent back and can block like no ones business but has been VERY lack-luster the past couple of years, especially under Zorn...

Exactly. Cooley is THE franchise player. He's probably the most respected and loyal player on the team. Cooley is going nowhere.

Portis may be given a year to redeem himself, but I doubt it. The way he's been running his mouth is like a man who is determined to get himself removed.

If they offer him a contract, I can see him rolling up into FedEx Field next year with a gat a la Gilbert; if he doesn't try to shoot his foot off during the off-season a la Plaxico.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Knowing Shanahan, he will build from the lines out. And, if the talk about getting Alex Gibbs is true, the lines will DEFINATELY be a focal point of the offseason. Whether he goes out in free agency and gets a bunch of no name guards/tackles that can play their asses off, trades a few players to bolster the line, or drafts some, the lines will be addressed.