Shanahan turns down Redskins coaching job

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Hey, it's gotta suck for him, too. I have zero doubt he wants things to go well and lord knows money is no object. However, his frustration between wanting to play with HIS toy and things going well has got to be pretty bad.

:buddies:

:faint: Wow, just wow... even Dan's old-lady acknowledges where the teams problems start. The boy just needs to realize all he needs to do is get someone to run the team for him that understands how to run a team, and just let him write the checks.

Even with a loosing team they are the 2nd most valuable team in the NFL, with 1st going to the Cowboys (but they always exchange this "title" every few years.) Just imagine the value if the team was winning... he would be making more $$$ which would make him happy.

It has not been the same team since Jack Kent Cooke's death. :ohwell:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Hey, it's gotta suck for him, too. I have zero doubt he wants things to go well and lord knows money is no object. However, his frustration between wanting to play with HIS toy and things going well has got to be pretty bad.

:buddies:

He doesn't give a rat's ass. The ONLY way he will care is when the bucks stop rolling in.

Carlos Rogers calls out ownership;

It's unusual for a player to implicate owner Dan Snyder and executive vice president for football operations Vinny Cerrato along with everyone else. After painting that picture, Rogers was asked what could be done in the short team to address the team's needs.

"You can't do too much right now," Rogers said. "You just have to go with what you've got and make the best for it, and that's what we're doing. They're making changes where they feel they need to make changes. Other than that, players are going to have to step up, coaches are going to have to step up, and we've just got to find a way — that's the bottom line — we've got to find a way to turn it around and deal with what we've got."

Great way to put it and I am glad he said it - hopefully he will get the ax because I have never been impressed with his coverage.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Even with a loosing team they are the 2nd most valuable team in the NFL, with 1st going to the Cowboys (but they always exchange this "title" every few years.)

They won't stay the 2nd most valuable long unless major changes are made in the way the team is run..I really think the hard core fans have had it, I know I have. My b-i-l has had 4 club seats for the last 8 yrs and he isn't renewing, says clients don't want to go..Sports, in general, have finally overpriced themselves,IMO. I've gone to Skins games with 2 free club seats, free parking pass and still spend over 100 without buying anything special. Season nosebleed seats along with the effing seat license cost you an arm and a leg. ALOT of people are deciding they can do without the Fedex experience. It isn't anything special to go to Fedex, but that could be nostalgia on my part.

I would trade the entire Redskin team for the Lions right now but the Lion ownership would laff in our face and say you got to be kidding. The cupboard is bare, aside from 2 or 3 players...there is nothing but mediocre talent and lousy attitudes. Gotta hand it to Snyder, he 1-upped Angelos in destroying a franchaise.

They won't stay the 2nd most valuable long unless major changes are made in the way the team is run..I really think the hard core fans have had it, I know I have. My b-i-l has had 4 club seats for the last 8 yrs and he isn't renewing, says clients don't want to go..Sports, in general, have finally overpriced themselves,IMO. I've gone to Skins games with 2 free club seats, free parking pass and still spend over 100 without buying anything special. Season nosebleed seats along with the effing seat license cost you an arm and a leg. ALOT of people are deciding they can do without the Fedex experience. It isn't anything special to go to Fedex, but that could be nostalgia on my part.

I would trade the entire Redskin team for the Lions right now but the Lion ownership would laff in our face and say you got to be kidding. The cupboard is bare, aside from 2 or 3 players...there is nothing but mediocre talent and lousy attitudes. Gotta hand it to Snyder, he 1-upped Angelos in destroying a franchaise.

You know, I saw a lot of empty seats this past game and this has seemed to be a trend at Fed-Ex Field. I was wondering this past Sunday if we have seen the breaking point with the cost of going to a game. Two years ago I was talking to a guy behind us (in club level) and he had 8 seats and that was probably his last year as the cost went up every year and he just did not want to mess with it...

I agree, even with free tickets it is easy to drop $100 without even blinking an eye.

With the way the economy is right now I know it is not helping any sports franchise, but even then their surely is a limit to what the fans will bear. I know I am more comfortable in my recliner and can even pause the game to take a leak, where there is no line. :yay:

Steve Spurrier's contract with South Carolina expires after the 2012 season. I know nobody wants to wait that long to get this thing turned around, but ...

I'm not trying to say anything, I'm just saying.

Beta84

They're out to get us
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/19/sources-mike-shanahan-turned-down-redskins-coaching-job/?icid=main|main|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fnfl.fanhouse.com%2F2009%2F10%2F19%2Fsources-mike-shanahan-turned-down-redskins-coaching-job%2F

Hmmm. Wonder if he'll change his mind in the offseason.
Why would he change his mind? No good coach wants to go to the Redskins. Sorry but it's not happening with the current setup. Like I said elsewhere, you'll get a coordinator that gets a promotion by becoming a head coach. Even then, it'd probably be a mediocre coordinator and not a top flight guy, or at least someone that isn't sure he'd ever get another chance to coach again. Right now, the Skins head coaching job is a potential career killer. Nobody wanted it last time and you ended up with the QB coach, Zorn. Zorn will probably never see an OC position again, let alone a HC position again...so who would go in to that type of situation willingly?

You know, I saw a lot of empty seats this past game and this has seemed to be a trend at Fed-Ex Field. I was wondering this past Sunday if we have seen the breaking point with the cost of going to a game. Two years ago I was talking to a guy behind us (in club level) and he had 8 seats and that was probably his last year as the cost went up every year and he just did not want to mess with it...

I agree, even with free tickets it is easy to drop $100 without even blinking an eye.

With the way the economy is right now I know it is not helping any sports franchise, but even then their surely is a limit to what the fans will bear. I know I am more comfortable in my recliner and can even pause the game to take a leak, where there is no line. :yay:

I called up some ticket company this past week for a parking pass. They were practically begging me to purchase tickets and were offering them at dirt cheap prices. They basically couldn't sell them. Looking at the stadium, it was pretty evident nobody cared about the game. It was half empty and even worse by the 4th quarter.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/19/sources-mike-shanahan-turned-down-redskins-coaching-job/?icid=main|main|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fnfl.fanhouse.com%2F2009%2F10%2F19%2Fsources-mike-shanahan-turned-down-redskins-coaching-job%2F

Hmmm. Wonder if he'll change his mind in the offseason.

UHG I hope not. He is no better than what we have......Give Cowher the checkbook and lets be done with it already.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Gruden/Shanahan/Cowher = not coming to Washington. Maybe you'll get a former head coach like Martz who probably will never get another chance anywhere else. Otherwise, mid-tier coordinator. The way things are going, the Skins are a career killer right now. Unless the coach can bring on a new GM and they have total control of the franchise, you won't get someone who is OK with Snyder wasting big money on bad talent that they're forced to play.