Shanahan turns down Redskins coaching job

BuddyLee

Football addict
Why would he change his mind? No good coach wants to go to the Redskins. Sorry but it's not happening with the current setup. Like I said elsewhere, you'll get a coordinator that gets a promotion by becoming a head coach. Even then, it'd probably be a mediocre coordinator and not a top flight guy, or at least someone that isn't sure he'd ever get another chance to coach again. Right now, the Skins head coaching job is a potential career killer. Nobody wanted it last time and you ended up with the QB coach, Zorn. Zorn will probably never see an OC position again, let alone a HC position again...so who would go in to that type of situation willingly?
:jet:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Gruden/Shanahan/Cowher = not coming to Washington. Maybe you'll get a former head coach like Martz who probably will never get another chance anywhere else. Otherwise, mid-tier coordinator. The way things are going, the Skins are a career killer right now. Unless the coach can bring on a new GM and they have total control of the franchise, you won't get someone who is OK with Snyder wasting big money on bad talent that they're forced to play.

Beta84

They're out to get us

please see the parts of those quotes that discuss the "current setup" and "total control". The setup was changed and he was awarded total control of football operations. TYVM.

oh and that "career killer" comment I made seemed to be sentiment echoed by Wilbon. But as he said, money talks.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
please see the parts about the "current setup" and "total control". TYVM.

oh and that "career killer" comment I made seemed to be sentiment echoed by Wilbon. But as he said, money talks.

I'm guessing $7,000,000 per year may have helped some, too.

BuddyLee

Football addict
please see the parts of those quotes that discuss the "current setup" and "total control". The setup was changed and he was awarded total control of football operations. TYVM.

You should read the thread again.

It was a good read.:biggrin:

Beta84

They're out to get us
I'm guessing $7,000,000 per year may have helped some, too.
like I said, money talks! for $35million, with as many years as Shanahan has coached, it doesn't matter if this job is a career killer. He's got more money than he expected to make before he retired in the bag, so even if he crashes and burns he doesn't need another job after this one.

You should read the thread again.

It was a good read.:biggrin:

I did. How's that Giants offense looking now that you were touting? And that 28 straight games of not yielding 28 points? The D was 18th in points per game. But I guess you're right that the defense is the strength though, because the offense was an abysmal 26th.

I'd go diving for that thread suggesting Shanahan for GM and someone else for coach (maybe it was this one but I didn't catch it), but I don't have it in me.

BuddyLee

Football addict
like I said, money talks! for $35million, with as many years as Shanahan has coached, it doesn't matter if this job is a career killer. He's got more money than he expected to make before he retired in the bag, so even if he crashes and burns he doesn't need another job after this one.
Financially, he didn't need another job at all. He was acquiring 7 mil a year from the Broncos for nothing. He's a football coach, this is what he does.

I did. How's that Giants offense looking now that you were touting?
Looks about how I left them. Sitting in the top 10. 8th in yardage and scoring.

And that 28 straight games of not yielding 28 points? The D was 18th in points per game. But I guess you're right that the defense is the strength though, because the offense was an abysmal 26th.
Streaks are meant to be broken, especially during a trying season. One side of the ball can't hold an entire football team forever. Still turned out to be a top 10 defense, thankfully. We all know about the offense. We know we can only go up.

Hey, maybe we'll get a Mike Martz to be our head coach!

I'd go diving for that thread suggesting Shanahan for GM and someone else for coach (maybe it was this one but I didn't catch it), but I don't have it in me.
Ooooo frightening.