Shanahan turns down Redskins coaching job

BuddyLee

Football addict
Oh there would be much adulation and celebration!
I think it's actually gonna happen this year.:yay:

Everyone is coming out of the woodwork and blasting the GM.

Steve Largent. John Cooke. Frank Herzog. Riggins, Sonny, Sam and a load of other greats. Kornheiser and Rich Gannon met with Snyder at the last game; I believe Otter posted a link to as much.

That's just the tip of the ice berg.

Many are saying Zorn and Cerrato are linked. This would explain the rash moves lately to acquire Sherman Smith, change play callers, QB's and the like. Cerrato is desperate.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I think it's actually gonna happen this year.:yay:

Everyone is coming out of the woodwork and blasting the GM.

Steve Largent. John Cooke. Frank Herzog. Riggins, Sonny, Sam and a load of other greats. Kornheiser and Rich Gannon met with Snyder at the last game; I believe Otter posted a link to as much.

That's just the tip of the ice berg.

Many are saying Zorn and Cerrato are linked. This would explain the rash moves lately to acquire Sherman Smith, change play callers, QB's and the like. Cerrato is desperate.

I have an unopened bottle of grenadine so there'll be PLENTY for the Shirley Temple bash at your place.:getdown:

I heard the Largent interview on Sirius NFL this evening and I know Riggo has been slamming Snyratto for a while.(Thanks YouTube!) I'd like to know how Snyder feels after having one of his boyhood idols absolutely slamming him in cyberspace.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Sounds like you're talking out of your ass.:yay:

You mean, no good coach would want to come to the Redskins now. Next year is a different story, different chapter.
And it sounds like you're talking like an incredibly optimistic Redskins fan, not an unbiased observer. :yay:

Point taken. Who says that won't be changed in the off-season though?:eyebrow:

The Redskins organization is a bad one to date. The team isn't all that bad, however. The defense is a top 10 unit. The side of the ball you have to worry about is the offense, as usual.

The Redskins defense hasn't yeilded 28 points in 28 games straight. That is the longest streak currently in the NFL. Indianapolis, next best, has 14 straight.

So, the Skins job isn't a death trap necessarily. Especially if the innumerable amount of rumors about Vinny being canned come to fruition.

The defense is solid, sure. They kept letting KC march into FG territory and if KC only had more confidence in their kicker, they may would have tacked on a couple more FGs. But still, 20 or under and no TDs is a solid effort...even if it was against KC.

The offense is a major issue but it won't get fixed without a major overhaul. You've already got an offensive head coach, offensive coordinator, and an offensive consultant all trying to improve this offense. Yet even with all of that, they were still held to 6 points (and those were thanks to 2 huge plays) against the worst defense in the league.

So sure, if the GM is changed then that may fix things to some degree. But you forget that Snyder still has his fingers all over the organization and any GM that steps in the door will be hindered by him. The Skins are basically the east coast version of Oakland. Tell me, how many coaches have walked in and out of Oakland recently with a destroyed reputation for the NFL? For that matter, how about the Skins? Even Gibbs' reputation was somewhat damaged after his latest stint in Washington.

I don't think changing the GM will do that much, unless Snyder releases the reigns. To get a good GM, he's going to need to promise to lay off a bit AND give someone a big payday. Merely changing GMs while keeping the same infrastructure won't help any. Vinny is just the fall guy.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You guys are all thinking way too much. The answer is so obvious and it will never happen...at least not for a good, long while.

thefbcritic

I think the O-line theory was proven when Collins was put in the game on Sunday. Nevertheless, Jason Campbell makes awful decisions even when given time to throw the ball. He lacks the confidence to be a franchise QB. He holds the ball too long. You are not always going to get an open receiver and sometimes you have to just make a judgement to throw the ball anyway. I don't even care if he throws an interception anymore as long as he throws the damn ball instead of holding it! :tantrum:

I do agree with that cambell really doesnt have down field vision i believe he can be good i wish they let him run more

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
You guys are all thinking way too much. The answer is so obvious and it will never happen...at least not for a good, long while.

Snyder finally realizes he's losing money, sells the team, and the new owner makes the Skins good again by leaving football decisions to football personnel?

Pete

Repete
I kind of feel sorry for Snyder a little. Certainly not about treating fans like cash cows and fostering a fan-unfriendly franchise, but because he is the owner of the Washington Redskins and he wants to win.

Can anyone here say if somehow you bought the Redskins as your biggest and bestest man toy EVER! You have it and now you are supposed to just leave it alone and let someone else play with it?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I kind of feel sorry for Snyder a little. Certainly not about treating fans like cash cows and fostering a fan-unfriendly franchise, but because he is the owner of the Washington Redskins and he wants to win.

Can anyone here say if somehow you bought the Redskins as your biggest and bestest man toy EVER! You have it and now you are supposed to just leave it alone and let someone else play with it?

Kinda like buying an expensive show dog and letting an expert handler take it out on the show circuit because as the dog's owner, you love it and you want it to win, but you realize you don't know jack about showing the dog.

Snyder doesn't realize where football is concerned not only does he not know Jack..he hasn't even met Jack.

Pete

Repete
Kinda like buying an expensive show dog and letting an expert handler take it out on the show circuit because as the dog's owner, you love it and you want it to win, but you realize you don't know jack about showing the dog.

Snyder doesn't realize where football is concerned not only does he not know Jack..he hasn't even met Jack.

But for eons there have been owners who refuse to spend any money and let their teams languish. Snyder at least WANTS his team to win and is willing to spend.

Snyder finally realizes he's losing money, sells the team, and the new owner makes the Skins good again by leaving football decisions to football personnel?
He bought the team for 800 million. It's now valued at 1.6 Billion. Doubled his investment. He's not losing money.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
But for eons there have been owners who refuse to spend any money and let their teams languish. Snyder at least WANTS his team to win and is willing to spend.

I dunno...I only know what I see and hear. Can't want them to win too bad if he won't take off the blinders. He creates an awful atmosphere for something that takes the cooperation of every member to make it work...a team. You can't show favoritism..have the ear of some players, etc. and expect not to have ill will in the locker room. Sure, he spends money for SOME players and ignores others. He also cut costs in other places...like not cleaning the stadium and doing away with shelled peanuts for example so it doesn't get as dirty. Small potatoes? Sure, but it all adds to the big picture I think and fan disgust in general which goes a long way for the support of the team...not to mention the poor play and willy nilly decisons or indecision. Screwing the fans with rising ticket prices, parking, no tailgating, etc. As the digust rises, fans begin to exhibit lack of support..booing, poor attendance, selling tickets to opposing teams. Players start to feel the lack of support and then figure WTF. It's just a big cluster.....

There's a lot of behind the scenes crap as well but obviously I can't really mention that.

Beta84

They're out to get us
He bought the team for 800 million. It's now valued at 1.6 Billion. Doubled his investment. He's not losing money.

value is different than day to day profit. The franchise value has increased, but if you don't get fans in the seats and you're paying absurd money for crappy people, you'll lose money. Merchandising and tickets! No fans, no money, sell team.

BuddyLee

Football addict
And it sounds like you're talking like an incredibly optimistic Redskins fan, not an unbiased observer. :yay:
Just talking with facts while you're just...guessing.

The defense is solid, sure. They kept letting KC march into FG territory and if KC only had more confidence in their kicker, they may would have tacked on a couple more FGs. But still, 20 or under and no TDs is a solid effort...even if it was against KC.
Nice example of one game. Guess you forgot all the prolific offenses last year. The Giants this year. The offense is the bain of our existence.

So sure, if the GM is changed then that may fix things to some degree. But you forget that Snyder still has his fingers all over the organization and any GM that steps in the door will be hindered by him. The Skins are basically the east coast version of Oakland. Tell me, how many coaches have walked in and out of Oakland recently with a destroyed reputation for the NFL? For that matter, how about the Skins? Even Gibbs' reputation was somewhat damaged after his latest stint in Washington.

I don't think changing the GM will do that much, unless Snyder releases the reigns. To get a good GM, he's going to need to promise to lay off a bit AND give someone a big payday. Merely changing GMs while keeping the same infrastructure won't help any. Vinny is just the fall guy.
With the way the media and the greats have been talking I wouldn't be surprised in a major overhaul including Snyder. The same thing happened to the Orioles owner after 10 years of mediocrity. Snyder's been asking for advice from Rich Gannon and Kornheiser at the last game. His own wife noted that the current situation starts at the top.

This team is in shambles at this point in time as it's our darkest hour the last few decades. However, we've had some success, unlike Oakland. With the exception of this year the team has stayed competetive, unlike Oakland. The team has been to the playoffs twice in the last five years, unlike Oakland.

BuddyLee

Football addict
WP: DC Sports Bog: Schefter calls Skins job "desirable"
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...job_desir.html

Click link for entire article

Schefter calls Skins job "desirable"

The giant creeping cloud of noxious press that's hovered over Ashburn for several weeks has truly been remarkable. To cite just a few from this week:

* Don Banks, SI: "Other than financially, has anyone been better off after going to work for Daniel Snyder and the Redskins than they were before they got to Washington? Seriously. Has anyone come out looking better for the experience, enhancing their reputation or résumé? Be it a coach, a player, or a front office member? Anyone? Ever?"

* Kevin Blackistone, AOL FanHouse: "The Redskins are now the worst-run franchise in pro sports in the country, if not on the planet."

* Clark Judge, CBSSports.com: "I feel for Jim," said a head coach who asked to remain anonymous. "I really do. He's going to be standing there on the sidelines Sunday doing -- what? It's sad."

Part of the implication is that any head coaching candidate would be a bit off to agree to a job with the Redskins, a premise I've always rejected entirely. If Marty Schottenheimer did it, no name is off the table. ESPN's Adam Schefter, appearing on Mike and Mike Thursday morning, made an even stronger argument.

"Well, a lot of people say, 'Oh, Redskins, Dan Snyder, Vinny Cerrato, undesirable' and I would take the flip side of that," Schefter said."I would tell you that we are headed toward an uncapped year. What's MORE desirable than the Redskins situation, where Dan Snyder is going to spend whatever it takes in a market where there are no limitations on what one owner can spend?" So to me, the Redskins job has some serious attractions to it."

It's a note that we haven't heard much of in recent days, but it makes more than a little sense. As for who might be attracted, Schefter went on to say this.

"And when you go down and you take a look at the names, look, he has taken on people that haven't worked, that haven't proven themselves," he said. "He's gone the low-profile route in Jim Zorn, it didn't work. He's now gonna go the high-profile route. So now he's gonna go the high-profile route, and we look at Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, and you start to sift through those names to figure out which one it is that would most appeal to Dan Snyder.

"Now keep this in mind, Dan Snyder has known Mike Shanahan for an awful long time. Ten years ago they were at the Pro Bowl, stayed in the same hotel, got to meet each other, have dinner, and something inside tells me that Dan Snyder has an affection for Mike Shanahan. Doesn't mean that's his guy, he may go for Mike Holmgren, he may go for Bill Cowher. But I just think that deep down inside, he's got a thing for Mike Shanahan."

:coffee: