Should parents have to pay for their kids' weddings?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Having 4 sisters, my dad told them early on don't expect any $$$ help for a wedding. 3 had big shindigs and the other did the courthouse deal.

black dog

Free America
Have 7 sisters and all had big wedding with dad/mom footing the bill. One year, there were 2 in a 3 month span.
Yep, I paid for both of mine.
Under 2 grand each.

My mom and sfather paid for my younger brother and two of my sisters weddings.
Bro was at Keystone Ranch in CO over a weekend in the summer. Homes were rented for all coming from out of town.
Sisters were both held in Annap.
35-45 grand for each, 18-28 years ago.
None made more than 4 to 17 years including mine....

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Decades ago I worked at 1 of the premier reception locations in New Jersey. Many events were over the top. Weddings that were north of $50K back in the late 1970s.

That place is still around today. And it's even more expensive than ever.

manor.jpg

UglyBear

I would expect parents on both sides to pitch in, according to ability and number of kids — maybe $5k from each side?

Our wedding was simple and cheap, low key and low pressure — rented three large houses on a lake, had the ceremony at one, reception at another. Pizza and s’mores for rehearsal dinner. Platters from Costco, BBQ grilled steak and chicken for the actual reception. Flowers from Safeway. Total cost less than $5-6k. People are still talking about how fun it was.

A friend took out $100k loan to have a crazy lavish wedding, both of them working min wage jobs, and retired parents in both sides. Now he’s b$tching about never being able to buy a house. But they had the dream wedding, I guess.

phreddyp

I would expect parents on both sides to pitch in, according to ability and number of kids — maybe $5k from each side?

Our wedding was simple and cheap, low key and low pressure — rented three large houses on a lake, had the ceremony at one, reception at another. Pizza and s’mores for rehearsal dinner. Platters from Costco, BBQ grilled steak and chicken for the actual reception. Flowers from Safeway. Total cost less than $5-6k. People are still talking about how fun it was.

A friend took out $100k loan to have a crazy lavish wedding, both of them working min wage jobs, and retired parents in both sides. Now he’s b$tching about never being able to buy a house. But they had the dream wedding, I guess.
He is a stupid SOB !

Christy

b*tch rocket
I don't think anyone should expect their wedding to be paid for by anyone but themselves. With that said, I wanted to help give my daughter a swanky wedding. We all pitched in, even her a-hole father kicked in quite a bit. We saved on the venue since that was free (at the groom's family farm). I don't know what the grand total was since we all paid for different things. I think my part which included the dress, bachelorette party, booze bill, flowers, and cake, came to about $13K give or take.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't think anyone should expect their wedding to be paid for by anyone but themselves. With that said, I wanted to help give my daughter a swanky wedding. We all pitched in, even her a-hole father kicked in quite a bit. We saved on the venue since that was free (at the groom's family farm). I don't know what the grand total was since we all paid for different things. I think my part which included the dress, bachelorette party, booze bill, flowers, and cake, came to about $13K give or take.
And the lovely pictures!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My first wife's father offered me a substantial sum.

If I'd leave town and stop seeing his daughter.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Our parents split the cost, including her dad giving me the $75 to pay the minister who officiated.
My parents reserved a room at a local hotel for our 1st 2 nights. Our "Honeymoon" was taking 2 weeks to drive from western, MA to Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, where she was stationed. We visited a lot of historical sites in between as we meandered.

The church we got married in was built in 1834. The tavern where we had the reception was built in 1789.

black dog

Free America
Our parents split the cost, including her dad giving me the $75 to pay the minister who officiated.
My parents reserved a room at a local hotel for our 1st 2 nights. Our "Honeymoon" was taking 2 weeks to drive from western, MA to Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, where she was stationed. We visited a lot of historical sites in between as we meandered.

The church we got married in was built in 1834. The tavern where we had the reception was built in 1789.

I offered my second wife to fly to Germany and get a months europass and spend a month or 10 grand before flying home.
She replied I would rather spend a week at this place Hidden Mountian Resort in Pigeon Forge.
Whatever you want baby.... It cost me about $1,500 dollars.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
1982 was an expensive year for my parents. My sister Anne Marie wed in May. I was in June. My brother was in September. My youngest sister was in December. Voila, Empty Nest.

My dad offered my sisters $10K to elope.
My dad offered up the same if we wanted to elope. My fiancé grabbed my hand looked at me with his baby blues and said, “This would be the one day that all of our friends and family stop what they are doing and acknowledge the love we have for each other. Money comes and goes. The memories would last forever.”

We invited 400 had 375 show up and memories that everyone still talks about 31 years later. I’m glad we did it.

Clem72

I just spent $20K on my daughters wedding and it was only 120 people.

Damn. Big weddings were never a thing in my family. My own was a vegas chapel on the strip. I think the largest family wedding I remember had maybe 40 people. A nice cake, a room reserved at your favorite restaurant, done deal. Spend a bit more on that honeymoon vacation if you need special memories.