Shutdown?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Well our fearless leader has much more important things to worry about. Like his fake news awards.

Trump can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time .... but to your disingenuous dig, the ball is in Congress Court Right now

awpitt

Main Streeter
No - we just assume you know this already.
Unless you're stupid and need to be told something the rest of us already know.
Has nothing to do with NOT getting paid, it's getting paid a month or two late.

Consider this -

It's Christmas. You're not going to get the next three paychecks although at the time - you don't know HOW long it will be.
You've got to get by on at least one month's set of bills and part of another, plus - well, Christmas gonna be LIGHT this time.

Worst case scenario? Yep. Happened to all of us back in 95 when the govt shut down twice and we had NO IDEA when it would re-open.
Watched my savings dwindle, no gifts for Christmas to my family and late fees on most bills.

Tell you what - ask your boss to hold back your next two paychecks - and then release them a month later.
See if that works out for you.

What also happened back in 1995/96, is that the credit unions offered "payday" loans to people impacted by the shutdown and who didn't have the savings to cover the shutdown period. Once the govt reopened, they just paid the loans off with their back pay.

SamSpade

This has ALWAYS Annoyed me .... attaching unrelated items to other bills / budgets

because Democrats know damn well, x would not get passed on its own merits

I am never sure how I feel about this.

Philosophically, ideologically - yeah, they shouldn't do it. Why should some transportation project be lumped in with with some unrelated bill?
We KNOW why - it's to sweeten the deal for someone's vote. We KNOW why they do it.

We also know a lot of these riders are either unlikely to pass on their own, or are otherwise insignificant to pass by themselves.
Too freakin' bad. How important can it be, then?

I've heard the argument that without this ability, some good legislative measures would never see the light of day OR -
Passing everything individually would make passing anything much more difficult.

And I know what some people might say - Good! It's not always great that everything be passed.
Thing is, you might find that some really good ideas AREN'T big omnibus bills - they're little.
So doing this might make all legislative items the big crap but nothing you or I want.

SamSpade

...and it's Trump who has attached "the wall" to the CR. It is happening on both sides.

So?

The Dems have - DACA or nothing. Who's more intractable?

The wall has at least, support from voters - and the Dem's utterly shocking reply has been that it is "racist" (which is stupid - how is a WALL racist) and - and this makes me actually giggle -

Too expensive.

Too - freaking expensive. It's actually cheaper than anything I can recall the Dems pushing in the last 30 years, but - too expensive.
This is like Liberace saying a suit was too gawdy. No one likes to needlessly piss away money like the Democratic Party.

SamSpade

What also happened back in 1995/96, is that the credit unions offered "payday" loans to people impacted by the shutdown and who didn't have the savings to cover the shutdown period. Once the govt reopened, they just paid the loans off with their back pay.

Then I guess you remember something I wasn't offered.
I remember in each shutdown we all had to sign agreements which pretty much said, we're on our own.
And - you might NOT get paid the second time (first time, we were told - you'll get paid, just don't know when you're coming back).
If the credit union offered loans, no one I knew received any.

And of course, there was THIS - believe it or not, we still do work, and most of us still had to meet the same deadlines - they did NOT get pushed back.

Chris0nllyn

As much as I am annoyed that people spent money on trips to memorials, only to find them closed; this is not a major impact on our economy or well being. But, to that degree, shutting down our parks and memorials and such can also be viewed as a political ploy to anger visitors towards the government. And depending on which side you sit on will determine which side you get pissed off with.

Neither was all the layoffs either. GDP only shrunk by 0.1-0.2% during the last shutdown.

Midnightrider

You're kidding, right? Historically, the GOP typically ends these with a complete capitulation.
They don't compromise - they surrender. And the Dems know that.

But it also comes because of a press favorable to the Democrats.

Say the Dems want to plow over the "fly-over" states and make it a big parking lot. The Republicans say hell no.
They're being obstructionist.

The Republicans want to, I don't know, save the whales or nuke the puppies - and the Dems want to stop them.
Bam! The press makes the Republicans bullies.

NOTHING should be necessary to pass a spending bill. It's the Dems who have attached DACA to it.
THEY are the ones making conditions. If Trump compromises with them - they will be reaching a compromise on a bill that doesn't have anything to do with immigration.
that's exactly what I said. They cave every time, even after the shut down the government last time they didn't get squat when they caved.

Its not the press' fault. It is the GOP's. They choose losing positions and then lose the battles over them. The GOP has all of the power right now, all of the leverage, yet they cant find a couple senators from across the aisle to get their spending bill done. They could avoid a shutdown by either putting the wall and daca into a separate bill, or just taking both out for now. Then it would be easy to grease the few that need it to keep the wheels spinning. If the right cant figure this out its nobodies fault but their own.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I am never sure how I feel about this.

Philosophically, ideologically - yeah, they shouldn't do it. Why should some transportation project be lumped in with with some unrelated bill?

We KNOW why - it's to sweeten the deal for someone's vote. We KNOW why they do it.

A Transportation Project for a vote .... yeah so now we are bribing Senator x from NY or Senator Y is blackmailing the rest of Congress holding out for a project for her district

both abhorrent processes

Midnightrider

So?

The Dems have - DACA or nothing. Who's more intractable?

The wall has at least, support from voters - and the Dem's utterly shocking reply has been that it is "racist" (which is stupid - how is a WALL racist) and - and this makes me actually giggle -

Too expensive.

Too - freaking expensive. It's actually cheaper than anything I can recall the Dems pushing in the last 30 years, but - too expensive.
This is like Liberace saying a suit was too gawdy. No one likes to needlessly piss away money like the Democratic Party.

and there is the issue. you are acting just like the evil dems you hate. You are just fine with trump poisoning the spending bill with the wall but you are super offended that the other side is going to use the same tactic to get what they want........

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Maryland has one of the highest per capita government employee populations in the country. Why would Steny and company put them out of work for a week or two to support illegals.
Who needs paychecks more government employees or illegals?
....and they keep voting them every two years.....I don't get it.

SamSpade

and there is the issue. you are acting just like the evil dems you hate..

??? I don't "hate" Dems. I don't. Most of my family are Dems. Most of my co-workers are Dems. And until I moved to this county, most of my neighbors were Dems.
And *I* am still registered as one - I was a big time liberal in high school.

My best friend is a Cowboys fan. The FREAKIN' *COWBOYS*. He is still my best friend, and he was my best man. I can disagree with someone and still be friends.
We agree on most issues, but some somewhat religion- based ones, we totally disagree on.
My wife and I disagree over guns and the second Amendment - and we have some disagreement over abortion. She's my wife for Pete's sake.

I can disagree with people without hating them, because it is opinion and not character.
I don't think people disagree with me because they are defective or evil.

That said - I don't like Steny. He gave the commencement speech at my high school.
It was a political speech. It had nothing to do with us. Just him.

I despise Hillary. I'm not sure I've ever disliked a politician more than her. I think had I personally met Gore or Kerry, I might have been tempted to punch them in the nose,
but most other Democrat leaders, I just think they're nuts. At least two guys I knew that worked for Democratic campaigns have told me, behind closed doors - there's less
difference between them and their Republican counterparts than you'd think - they talk a good game in front of the cameras, but when the cameras are gone, they're just
as big a douchebag as Dem pundits imagine the Republicans are.

I played ball on a team with someone working in the Clinton White House and my family is good friends with someone well known who worked there.
The ball player said Hillary's temper was legendary. I remember one night he came to the game late - the Clintons were in their limo - fighting.
He wasn't Secret Service, but for some reason he had to stick around until they emerged. He was Democrat but - he wasn't crazy about her *personally*.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
??? I don't "hate" Dems. I don't. Most of my family are Dems. Most of my co-workers are Dems. And until I moved to this county, most of my neighbors were Dems.
And *I* am still registered as one - I was a big time liberal in high school.

My best friend is a Cowboys fan. The FREAKIN' *COWBOYS*. He is still my best friend, and he was my best man. I can disagree with someone and still be friends.
We agree on most issues, but some somewhat religion- based ones, we totally disagree on.
My wife and I disagree over guns and the second Amendment - and we have some disagreement over abortion. She's my wife for Pete's sake.

I can disagree with people without hating them, because it is opinion and not character.
I don't think people disagree with me because they are defective or evil.

That said - I don't like Steny. He gave the commencement speech at my high school.
It was a political speech. It had nothing to do with us. Just him.

I despise Hillary. I'm not sure I've ever disliked a politician more than her. I think had I personally met Gore or Kerry, I might have been tempted to punch them in the nose,
but most other Democrat leaders, I just think they're nuts. At least two guys I knew that worked for Democratic campaigns have told me, behind closed doors - there's less
difference between them and their Republican counterparts than you'd think - they talk a good game in front of the cameras, but when the cameras are gone, they're just
as big a douchebag as Dem pundits imagine the Republicans are.

I played ball on a team with someone working in the Clinton White House and my family is good friends with someone well known who worked there.
The ball player said Hillary's temper was legendary. I remember one night he came to the game late - the Clintons were in their limo - fighting.
He wasn't Secret Service, but for some reason he had to stick around until they emerged. He was Democrat but - he wasn't crazy about her *personally*.

Rumprider's head just esploded...his canned narrative failed dramatically.

PsyOps

Pixelated
big surprise that is your reading on it :bigwhoop

trump ran on, AND ENDED DACA. That is why the dems are scrambling to save it. I don't see any compromise there.

Trump didn't end DACA. It's still alive and well, and will expire in March (I believe it is). Here is what Trump said:

[video=youtube;yQEpVvhfV50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQEpVvhfV50[/video]

PsyOps

Pixelated
and there is the issue. you are acting just like the evil dems you hate. You are just fine with trump poisoning the spending bill with the wall but you are super offended that the other side is going to use the same tactic to get what they want........

Did you just read what you wrote?

Trump is spoiling the spending bill
Dems are simply trying to get what they want.

In case you've forgotten, the people voted and said they want the wall. It was the key platform for Trump. The people elected a GOP congress to push Trump's agenda. Did you think Trump wasn't going to try to ask for funding of the wall? Trump has compromised on giving his okay to DACA in exchange for what he wants. He is giving dems what they want; and it's still not good enough. Now, you people on the left have resorted to calling it "poisoning" the bill; when it was in play from the day Trump got elected.

Hijinx

Most of the people where I live are Democrats, except for a few die hards who would vote democrat if it was a rabid dog running as one, they mostly voted for Trump, Hogan and against Steny Hoyer.

Steny is carried to Annapolis by PG and Northern Charles, the refugee counties that the S.E refugees ran to when they left DC.

Midnightrider

Did you just read what you wrote?

Trump is spoiling the spending bill
Dems are simply trying to get what they want.

In case you've forgotten, the people voted and said they want the wall. It was the key platform for Trump. The people elected a GOP congress to push Trump's agenda. Did you think Trump wasn't going to try to ask for funding of the wall? Trump has compromised on giving his okay to DACA in exchange for what he wants. He is giving dems what they want; and it's still not good enough. Now, you people on the left have resorted to calling it "poisoning" the bill; when it was in play from the day Trump got elected.

Is DACA alive and well or is it expiring?

Actually trumps platform was a wall that MEXICO WILL PAY FOR. Mexico ain’t paying for #### and that’s why he needs to get our tax dollars to fund it. If trump ran on ‘I’m going to spend billions on a wall’ you might have a point.

Regardless, my point about spoiling the bill was directly in response to Sam intimating the dems spoiled it by including DACA. If we want a clean spending bill do it. But if one side is going to add #### so is the other. That’s how it works.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Any bets?

No bets on my part. I am a penny pincher.:lol: But, I do know the Dems will do anything to get their way to fulfill their agenda of bringing America/Amonica to Her knees; so to speak. Pelosi, Schumer, Lee, Feinstein, etal are scary to watch. They are not interested in their constituents, but just in themselves. The gov shut down thing has always been a joke. This time it is the worst joke because Dems are saying they want to support illegals instead of US citizens. That is truly messed up. It is used to scare people that are not informed, and to twist and blame the other side if it happens. It would be awesome if Trump can drain The Swamp. It is a ‘yuge’ task, but can be done. Go, Trump!

And, also, want to say in reading your posts over time here, that you are not only well informed (your posts are great), but, also, an awesome person. You have mentioned you have adopted children from other countries, and some have special needs. God bless you.

Last edited: